May 2012 Moms

internal today - painful??

The Dr. is checking me today to see what progress there is.  I've heard horror stories about the pain of this, just how painful is it?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: internal today - painful??

• I've had three so far, and only one has been painful. The doctor said that the painful one may have been related to a contraction. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• scote09scote09 member
    I'm 39 weeks and 4 days and had my first pelvic on Tuesday.  It was painful for me, and there was no progress.  She warned me it would be rather uncomfortable so I was prepared for it.  I'm sure it's different for everyone though.
  • Loading the player...
  • When my dr. checked me on Wed it was a bit uncomfortable.  I didn't cry from the pain but it was def. noticiable enough to say "ouch"

After all was said and done it was like it didn't even happen!

good luck today

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• My first was uncomfortable, but the one yesterday was definitely wince worthy. It was fine when she was checking The effacement and dilation, but when she was feel around my cervix for his station and head, that was a little painful. Just enough to make me wince. Cramped a little after that. 
  • blw1003blw1003 member
    I've had 3, and they've all been uncomfortable, but not really painful.  I was glad my dr warned me that I could have some bleeding because of it though.  I hadn't had any until this last one, but it was nice knowing what it was from.
  • It's on that list of things that are bearable, but I wouldn't repeat just for the fun of it. First one at 36 hurt, but the second one with a different doctor at 39w was just uncomfortable. More so than a standard pelvic exam, but not too much so. Just enough that I didn't want the med student doing a second one right after. LO is super low, and the doctor wanted to demonstrate to the med student how that would feel. Normally I'm all for letting med students learn and have allowed myself to be a guinea pig for exams. If it was a straight pelvic, I would have been ok, but I just didn't want a second internal right away.

No after effects though once it was over.

• I declined internals this time, but I don't really remember then being painful with my first.  I'd maybe say they were uncomfortable, but not painful.
  • I have a pretty high pain tolerance and they dont bother me at all. Also though I feel like labor contractions are alot less painful then other people do, so maybe im not a good example. 
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just got back from mine and it wasn't painful at all. There is just a bit of pressure and then they are done. I have heard of Dr's being a bit more aggressive in their exams, which obviously could hurt more. I guess it depends on the Dr and how much they get up in there. Hope yours goes well!
  • I had my first on Monday and it was definitely uncomfortable, I started sweating like crazy and said ouch out loud! He only checked because I have been cramping a bit, but I swear he didn't use enough of the goo and his fingers are bony. Not looking forward to the next one. 
    Life is a journey, not a destination BabyFetus Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • lar1203lar1203 member
    how far back your cervix is can play role. mine was far back and my mw really had to reach. needless to say, it was not comfortable. i spotted 2 days after.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've had two... The first one was not painful at all. The second she was more invasive and therefore I had some cramping while she was feeling around and a bit of pain. It really wasn't anything horrible though. She said that she touched baby's head with her finger... Really up in there. I have a high pain tolerance... So, I guess it depends on your pain tolerance.
  • Mine have been getting increasingly painful for some reason.  Last time she didn't even finish bc it hurt so bad. But I think I'm a bigger wimp than most ;-)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It depends on who does it. With my 1st there was 4 OBs in the practice and whenever "man hands" did it I screamed! When the others checked it was no biggie. I also had a very rough nurse on delivery day and that one was brutal. I think I have a pretty high pain tolerance considering I was on pictocin for 10 hrs straight with back-to-back contractions less than a minute apart at times and felt nothing (no epi at the time). 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageStacigirl413:

When my dr. checked me on Wed it was a bit uncomfortable.  I didn't cry from the pain but it was def. noticiable enough to say "ouch"

After all was said and done it was like it didn't even happen!

good luck today

Ditto...except I felt sore-ish for a while afterward.

• imageChelsey68:
    I have a pretty high pain tolerance and they dont bother me at all. Also though I feel like labor contractions are alot less painful then other people do, so maybe im not a good example. 

Can you have my baby for me? lol 

• I have had 3 and none have caused any pain whatsoever.....
  • papeetepapeete member
    My midwife told me to take a deep breath, and I didn't feel a thing.  No spotting or anything afterwards, either.  Hope yours goes well today!
  • Thanks ladies for all the feedback!!

I just got back from the office and it was not bad at all.  Apparently my cervix sits farther back, so she had to get up in there, but even then it was just more pressure than anything else.

No progression though :(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"