May 2012 Moms

37 weeks

Had my 37 week appointment today, Dr told me last week that the baby's head is big, and said the same thing today Measuring at 40 weeks, he said not abnormally large just a bigger head.  And that he is est weight is 7 lbs 11 oz. so far.  He is recommending induction at 39 weeks, and really doesn't want me to go past that.  He is a very strait forward Dr and will tell you the worse case senario every time.  Of course he is afraid that the baby could get stuck and be forced to do a c section which I absolutly am terrified of.  My only problem is that with baby number 1 we induced at 39 weeks + a few days because the est weight was 9 lb 5 oz, needless to say she came out at 7 lb 5 oz.  I was not a happy camper at the time.  My husband thinks induction is great because he is so nervouse about the stress of going into labor at home and what to do, plus he works 1 1/2 away from where we live.  Everyone in my family, mom, grandmother, father are livid about the idea of induction and were not happy when we did it the first time around, especially when baby was 2 lb under the est weight.  I think I just need some friendly reinforcment from other mommies or maybe some friendly guidance in the situation.  I am so conflicted.  On top of it all I am dealing with my 2 1/2 year old that I swear is the definition today of terrible 2! lol

Re: 37 weeks

• Is this a different dr than your first induction?  

If it's the same dr, i can see your family's hesitation.  However, if it is a new dr, I don't know.... I'd be hesitant to take the risk.  I'm not a gambler.  I would probably take the induction.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    BFP 1: 9/19/11 , DS born 5/28/12 @ 41 weeks

BFP 2: 11/8/13, NMC 11/27/13 @ 8w4d, we love you sweet baby!
    BFP 3: 5/16/14 Stick, sweet little one!
  • Also... I just want to add to my previous post... head size is different than weight.  If your first baby was said to be big because of weight, that is different.  Weight is usually +/- 15 oz.  However, head circumference is different. I don't think there's as big a margin for error with that measurement...   Like I said, I'd probably take the induction.  Hope what I said makes sense! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    BFP 1: 9/19/11 , DS born 5/28/12 @ 41 weeks

BFP 2: 11/8/13, NMC 11/27/13 @ 8w4d, we love you sweet baby!
    BFP 3: 5/16/14 Stick, sweet little one!
  • Loading the player...
  • I know what you're going through. I had an elective induction with my first at 37 weeks exactly, who was estimated to be 9+lb with a "huge head". I was devastated when my little boy was born via c/s due to positioning for being asynclitic and was 6lbs 15oz. I was pi$$ed. Needless to say, my kid was little, and still got stuck and I STILL had to have a c/s.

I also have a 17 month old at home and know what you mean about the terrible 2's. Mine is just in terrible tantrum mode lol.

There are alot of "what if's" that could happen, and chances are even if you go in with a scheduled induction -things aren't going to go how you or the Dr invision anyway. It's labor and delivery. Every labor and every delivery is different. It's why I like my job.

Tell your husband to chill out- It very rarely happens quickly (although it could.) Just have a good plan, and talk to your husband about it. As far as your family- they are just there to see the kid- don't let their opinions weigh on your decision. It's your body, and your baby!

It's good your Dr is blunt, but at the same time remember he is also cautioning on the side of what he/she has seen. Personally I think pitocin is used too frequently, I've seen women give birth to 8+lb babies very easily, and seen a 6 pounder be a shoulder dystocia.

You will make the best decision for yourself, it's definitely a hard decision- and I'm sure at 39 weeks you will be like "just get it out of me!". lol

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am in a very similar situation but also, complicated by a very fast less than 3 hour labor last time. My OB brought up induction today for when I am closer to term, but I was pretty clear that we will not be going down that route. He was very understanding. I had a 37 week growth u/s today and baby was measuring 9 lbs already... I am not at all worried. DS was easy to deliver and he was 8 lbs 15 oz and 22 inches. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Same Dr.  He is suppose to be the best around here, and he is great about everything else.  He said that he would accept my decision for not inducing sooner.  However at first he said I do not want you to go past your Due Date, now he says I do not want you to go past 39 weeks....uhh!  I wish that labor and delivery were so much less difficult! lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"