May 2012 Moms

"Just wait!" (VENT)

OK, seriously, if I hear "just wait..." one more time I'm going to slap the poor person who says it to me.  And it will probably be some old lady.  I mean, how long do the "just wait"s go on?!  I'm almost done with this pregnancy... I thought they would have stopped by now.  The worst part is that my SIL (whom I adore, don't get me wrong) is the WORST at it.  She had her first baby back in mid-January and this ENTIRE pregnancy I've been getting "just wait"s from her almost every day.  And because she will always be 5 months ahead of me, I'm worried that it will never stop.  I have this nightmare of our children being 15 and 16 and her STILL saying, "just wait until he turns 16!"  I don't think I can handle it.

Also, she and I are SO different in everything.  I love her, but she doesn't take care of her body (and I'm a fitness and nutrition nut).  So her entire pregnancy I was appalled (on the inside) about how she ate, never exercised, etc.  And for MY entire pregnancy she's been telling me "just wait..." until your joints hurt, your legs swell, you have this issue, that issue... And for the record, I have never experienced a SINGLE thing she told me to "just wait" about.  And now, of course, that she has a baby it's all about the "just wait" for L&D (however, she has conceded recently that I probably won't have a similar birth to hers BECAUSE I'm in such good shape - I want to go all natural and she had pitocin, 2 epis and ultimately a c/s), and "just wait" about having a newborn.  Now, I appreciate advice (solicited, thanks) about caring for a newborn.  But I don't need to hear endless "just wait"s about every newborn experience. Plus I know that she and her husband are going to raise their child very differently from the way DH and I are going to raise ours.  So I don't want to hear "just wait"s when they're babies and toddlers about things that don't pertain to DH, me and our LO because we're not going to be in that situation.  Make sense?  And, again, since she's 5 months ahead of me, I'm worried this will never end.  NEVER.  

I know I'm hormonal and am not able to laugh it off the way DH does (although it does irritate him too, but I think more so because it gets me so riled up), but PLEASE JUST STOP.  I'm so over it.  Just let me have my own experience.  I know it all comes from a place of love and good intentions, but I'm about to LOSE.  MY.  S**T.  

That is all. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: "Just wait!" (VENT)

• Oh it doesnt stop, I get that all the time from my SIL.  She has 3 LOs 4 and under and she says just wait til you have 2, it is so simple with one.

I am with you too on the hormones I just posted about my co-irker driving me nuts.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageTamTam624:

Oh it doesnt stop, I get that all the time from my SIL.  She has 3 LOs 4 and under and she says just wait til you have 2, it is so simple with one.

I am with you too on the hormones I just posted about my co-irker driving me nuts.

Ditto. My sister is doing the just wait to me regarding everything because it's my second and she's had three. My fav was regarding Natural birth. "Just wait until that pain, you'll get the epidural then!" Nevermind Ive had a child before!

• Loading the player...
  • ElinJElinJ member
    Ugh.  I feel your pain.  That would drive me NUTS.  Hang in there....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

• It never ends.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Maybe your little one will just be really advanced and you can get to a point where you can tell her. "oh my LO has been doing that for a while, you just wait till..." payback.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That makes me crazy. For some reason when your a first time mom people instantly think you are baby ignorant and that you are in dire need of their advise. This is something I'm also dealing with. Except the people telling me things are completely ignorant despite the fact that they have multiple children.
  • "Just wait until I you slap in the face." or "just wait until I've lost all of my baby weight and you haven't" 
  • concur! I think it's past the point of being able to say anything nicely. I know I'd just want to snap!
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelovesharkweek:
    "Just wait until I you slap in the face." or "just wait until I've lost all of my baby weight and you haven't" 

LMFAO! That was priceless. 

• LOL I feel ya!  My SIL had a her first on March 31, and loves telling me already.  The problem is, she and her DH don't really do much!  My MIL is STILL spending the night at their house, or SIL spends the night at her parents because she still needs help caring for the baby!  She barely changes diapers!  

Isn't unsolicited advice your favorite?!? 

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • It doesn't stop.....I have a son and will have a DD by this time next week.  Some of my friends who already have two are giving me the "just wait" crap.  Yeah, I know it will be tough (just like adjusting to having one was a tough at first) but come on!!!
  • Hey I feel your pain! It seems like everyone right now has an opinion about something and all I want to do is tell them to be quiet. My MIL in particular has called me every day asking me how I'm doing, what can she do, when that baby's coming (like I have control) and just non-stop everything. Don't get me wrong I know she's excited, but I don't need people asking me every 5 minutes if I am okay or how things are going. It's annoying.

As for the comments "just wait" I had those a lot with my first pregnancy, but not so much with the second one. Parenting is like politics, every one has an opinion and everyone thinks their way is the right way. I've learned to ignore it and try not to take any of it to heart, instead I just smile and say thanks and leave it at that.

• imageFromMisstoMrs2011:
    That makes me crazy. For some reason when your a first time mom people instantly think you are baby ignorant and that you are in dire need of their advise.

Oh THIS. I have friends who I adore that gleefully tell me all the time that I am basically delusional to think we're going to have any kind of life at all once the baby comes. REALLY? If it's gonna suck that badly, why did I bother to get pregnant in the first place?

• I've had a butt load of people telling me what I should expect or "wait" for too, but the best part is most of them have never gone through it first hand.  It's all, what I should expect based on their mothers friends sisters birth, or their cousins girlfriends newborn.  Seriously?

It's got nothing to do with BTDT, some people just want to pretend like they know it all!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Been getting a lot of "just wait" from MIL! It's bordering on obnoxious.
  • I had a MALE customer today tell me, "Oh it's gonna hurt!" Ya know, as if he knows or something. The only 'just wait' I've gotten is missing being pregnant. Um....don't think so!
  • Ha! This is my third child and when I don't have my kids with me I get strangers assuming this is my first (glad i still look young!).

A couple of months ago I was buying a new phone and while I was waiting a fellow customer (my age) and I started talking about landlines vs using only cell phones.

We got rid of our landline two years ago and haven't looked back.

She proceeded to tell me that I needed to "just wait" until my baby is born, that I'll want a landline in case of emergency.

I didn't want to make her feel bad, so I nicely told her this is my third child and we've done just fine without our landline. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"