Baby Names

Names that should STAY Boys Names.

Ever see a class list with Ryan, Sean or Carter and think that's a boy and later find out, it's a girl! I know people give girls boys names to be different, but I think these names should STAY boys names. What boys names have you found to be used for girls and just not like the female version? Please use this list, copy, clip and add. Thanks!

Ryan

Sean

Carter

Mason

Brent 

Sawyer

Re: Names that should STAY Boys Names.

• agree with OP and adding:

Elliott
    Hunter
    Tyler
    Wesley (yes my DH met a girl with his name)
    Kyle (I recently interviewed a girl named Kyle)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Maxwell

Parker

Blake

Reed/Reid

Logan

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm down with almost any surnamish masculine name for a girl as long as it's a family name. 

The names that come to mind for me are names like Richard, Robert, William, Matthew, etc.  Luckily I can say that I've never come across a girl with any of those names (although I do know a girl named Michael).

• imageKatie996:

Maxwell

Parker

Blake

Reed/Reid

Logan

Yes! Logan and Parker- I forgot about those. I'm also adding Dylan to my list. 

• I think a lot of this depends on your associations with said name. I happen to like Hunter and Sawyer for girls and a female friend of mine is named Shawn, which totally works for her. I know I'm the minority, though; it's b/c this is such a popular trend among my friends/family that it seems "normal" to me. To answer the question, though, I really don't like Blake, Emerson and Rhys (Reese is OK) for girls. Love, love, love Drew and Dylan (moreso for girls than boys, actually).
  • imageMandyWes:
    imageKatie996:

Maxwell

Parker

Blake

Reed/Reid

Logan

Yes! Logan and Parker- I forgot about those. I'm also adding Dylan to my list. 

Dylan for sure. I know a female Dylan and also know several female Hunters. Hunter especially seems to be catching on as a girl name and I just don't get it. 

• Riley.

*pout* :-(

Anniversary

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Dylan is our boy name choice for this baby. I know Taylor is unisex but for me, it's always been a girl name. Now Tyler, should remain a boy name. It keeps coming up as recommended for a girl to me on baby name sites and books... First of all, I'd never do Tyler and Taylor. Second of all, I'd never use Tyler for a girl.

Anyway... I like certain unisex names for girls but there are many more names I consider to be a boy's name.

• imagejennipea382:

Riley.

*pout* :-(

AGREE! 

• Kyle

Shawn

Ryan

Elliott

Blake

Aiden

I have a daughter named Avery, so I can't really gripe about people giving their daughters male names.  Avery technically was a boys name first. 

• I second Mason!!!  DS#2 is Mason and I just met a baby girl Mason.  Leave it to the boys!!!
  • Charlie.. and it's a nickname, not a given name.

• Parker

Greyson

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My friend just had a baby girl and named her Carson.  Or maybe it is Carsyn?!

Oh, and on behalf of my son - Connor.  I have met one female Connor and have heard of a few others.  Yuck.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• imageredhotchili83:
    I second Mason!!!  DS#2 is Mason and I just met a baby girl Mason.  Leave it to the boys!!!

A Facebook friend just named her daughter Macyn. Ew.  

Danica 10.22.10 | Milo 12.23.12

PicMonkey Collage3

• imagesweetpea2003:

My friend just had a baby girl and named her Carson.  Or maybe it is Carsyn?!

Oh, and on behalf of my son - Connor.  I have met one female Connor and have heard of a few others.  Yuck.

Ahhhh I love your siggy pic! What a priceless moment!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • AMB11AMB11 member
    Noah and DEFINITELY Maxwell.  Also agree with pp on Charlie. 
    Big Boy N - 2009
    Little Man Z - 2011
    Baby Girl E - 2013

• Morgan

Riley

Carson

Parker

Payton

Avery

• DochasDochas member
    Why do people do this - and then claim it's gender neutral?  If you want your kid to stand out teach him or her to be a really nice person.  Educate them.  Let them do good in the world.  A ridiculous name isn't the way to get the attention you so desperately crave.
    TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • laurabblaurabb member

Addison - Dylan- Emerson- Carrington- Kendall- Emory - Avery

• imagesweetpea2003:

My friend just had a baby girl and named her Carson.  Or maybe it is Carsyn?!

A FB friend of mine had a baby girl last August and named her Carson! Ick. I've always disliked that name for boys but I especially detest it for girls. 

Due 10/21/13 with our first baby BabyFruit Ticker
  • Jordan
    Dylan
    Dale
    Blake
    Brett
    Maxwell
    Tucker
    Tyson
    Parker
    Kieth [yes, I know of a little girl named Keith. sigh]
    James [spelled Jaymz]

Due on July 12, 2012!!! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Dakota.  I don't really like it for a boy, but I definately don't like it for a girl!
    photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
  • Micah

Also, I dislike Peyton and Hayden as girl names. 

And Carson. I also don't like Addison on girls but I don't like it for a boy either. 

Cameron

I don't mind boy names on girls if it is the mother's maiden name. 

• EXL311EXL311 member

Rowan

Finley

Quinn

Logan

Sawyer

To name just a few.

Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • broomybroomy member
    I really wish Bailey had stayed a boy name. It's a family name and I would have used it if it weren't a girl name now. Other boy names I love(d) that are tainted with pink: Ashley, Hayden, and Cameron.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Also, Lyndon/Linden however you want to spell it.
    photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
  • ANY name that has the word or meaning "son of..." Linguistically, it just doesn't make sense to give this to girls. Sorry, I know this includes popular names like Addison, but the reality is, girls are not "sons of" anyone.

Any name that already has an appropriate feminine version (Charles and Charlotte... do we really need to name girls Charlie when Charlotte is available??? The nn is cute, but for a full, given name, stick with the already-available name for girls).

• I must be in the minority here, because I actually really like a lot of boy names for girls. Esp Charlie as a name
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• ah625ah625 member
    Devin. I've met 3 girls over the years, all spelled Devyn.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • kacellekacelle member
    My mom suggested Carter to me for DD.  MIL, who is very traditional with regard to names, actually liked the suggestion.  Gag.
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • stahlopstahlop member

The thing I hate is that because a few people have their DD a boys name, people automatically say its unisex.  No, you have just taken a boys name and given it to a girl.  That's doesnt make it unisex.  Names that should stay boys names for me are

Avery

Cameron

Carson

Hayden

Micah

Jonah (yes, I've met a female Jonah)

Addison

Ryan

Riley

And just a note on the name Noah.  Noa is a legit Israeli girls name, I don't know if these people who are naming their DD's this are using the Noa spelling or not, but I just thought I'd put it out there.

imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• There's a 50% chance I'll be committing a baby naming sin sometime in the near future.  I'm really quite excited about it.
    Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
    Home Birthing-Breastfeeding-Cloth Diapering-Baby Wearing-CoSleeping-Delayed/Selective Vaccination Mama to Charlie (5yrs) and Madeline (21mos)
  • imagelaurabb:

Addison - Dylan- Emerson- Carrington- Kendall- Emory - Avery

I feel like all of these with the exception of Dylan and Kendall are girl names rather than boy names. I do know several female Dylans and Kendalls but thats just NMS.

Also a PP said Morgan...thats 100% a girl name IMO. 

BFP 3.28.12
    missed m/c @ 9w5d, baby measured 8w1d, no h/b
    D&C 5.23.12
    heartbroken
  • I knew a female Charlie and Kyle when I was younger. Charlie was her given name, not a nickname, and she was an extreme girly girl. Kyle was not girly at all and was extremely mean.

When I was 11 or so a family moved into my neighborhood and had a couple 5/6 year olds. My neighborhood was filled with younger kids so I just played with them. Before I met the kids, another girl (7 or so) and I talked to the parents, basically asking if they had any kids, and we were told they had Caleb and Logan and they'd be coming later so we could come back to meet them. So this other girl and I got excited but kept debating on whether or not it was two brothers or a boy and a girl. I swore Logan had to be a boy, but I was sorely mistaken on that front.

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • I have seen both of my boys' names on girls (Declan and Asher.) It makes me sad. And they always mess with the spelling, too - Decklynn, Deklin, etc.

In fact, there is a cloth diaper company called Declyn Dipes; I reuse to buy from them on principle. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagePunkyBooster:

Micah

Also, I dislike Peyton and Hayden as girl names. 

And Carson. I also don't like Addison on girls but I don't like it for a boy either. 

Cameron

I don't mind boy names on girls if it is the mother's maiden name. 

IMO if you want to use your maiden name is fine but certain names are for boys and some are for girls. Couldn't Jessica Simpson at least feminize the name Maxwell into Maxie or Maxine? Or use Maxwell as the middle name and have had Drew Maxwell? Drew is a unisex name. Maxwell is not. I started this thread because its so weird at work or school to see or hear a name you think is a boys name like Maxwell, Shawn, Brent, Ryan, and Carter and think its a boy and then  find out its a girl. I feel bad for those girls/women. They are going to go through that their whole life. 

• imagebroomy:
    I really wish Bailey had stayed a boy name. It's a family name and I would have used it if it weren't a girl name now. Other boy names I love(d) that are tainted with pink: Ashley, Hayden, and Cameron.

I wonder how some names BECOME unisex. I think Bailey, Hayden and Cameron are unisex. I was surprised to learn Ashley, Kelsey and Kelly were originally boys names.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"