3rd Trimester

Breastfeeding

I am wondering, when and if the breasts will be ready to "leak" milk? Do the breasts only release milk once the baby is born? Thanks! I'm a FTM and I'm determined to EBF.

Re: Breastfeeding

• Some people leak before baby is born, some don't.  I don't think it really means anything regardign supply.  I never leaked during pregnancy and EBF for 9 months. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Your body naturally releases the milk a few days after baby is born, prior to that baby will drink colostrum (the clear sticky stuff you see now) to help him/her gain weight as it is extremely fatty and filled with nutrients. The colostrum is very important and good for newborns.

I EBF my son for one year. My milk came in when he was 2 or 3 days, I can't remember exactly. 

• Loading the player...
  • I've been leaking a little bit of colostrum since second tri.  The first few days after birth you will have colostrum.  THe milk comes in after that.  Colustrum has everything the baby needs until your milk comes in and you shouldn't need to supplement if there's a delay of a day or two.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It depends on the person. I never leaked with DD prior to having her and even after having her I did not leak until I was 4 days pp. With this pregnancy I have not leaked either so I am guessing it will be the same.
  • First comes the colostrum (nutrient and antibody rich booster for the baby in those first few days)...then the milk (mine came in on day 3). Your placenta releasing is what triggers your body to start making milk.

You might want to read up a little on BFing beforehand. It often doesn't come naturally to mama and baby, and can be a bit of a learned skill.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I never leaked in either pregnancy. DD nursed in the hospital (colostrum) and my milk came in a couple days after she was born. I want to say it was our first or second day home. Trust me, you will definitely know when your milk is in! There is no mistaking it. I EBF for 12 months.
  • imageBarefootRI:
    I never leaked in either pregnancy. DD nursed in the hospital (colostrum) and my milk came in a couple days after she was born. I want to say it was our first or second day home. Trust me, you will definitely know when your milk is in! There is no mistaking it. I EBF for 12 months.

Torpedo boobs! It's like one minute you look down and WHOA...looks like they're full. Make sure you have pads on hand because when your milk comes in you will leak like crazy, and if you have a supply like I did you'll be a running faucet on the other side while you nurse. 

With all that I had no leaking before the baby was born. This time I know I'm producing something because I'm regularly cleaning out little crusty bits (tmi) but nothing to soak my bra!

• Ive never leaked during pregnancy and always had a great supply (as long as I was keeping calories and water intake up) my milk came in a few days after birth.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
  • i havent leaked at all and im also a FTM
  • I never leaked during pregnancy OR while nursing.  I nursed DD for about 22 months and always had a great supply. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"