3rd Trimester
Options

Cervadil vs. Pitocin

Those of you who have been induced (and had it work)... was Cervadil more of a gradual build to the contractions than Pitocin was?  I know Pitocin can seem more painful just because you don't gradually build to those contractions.... So I'm thinking about asking my Dr. if I have to be induced if I can try Cervadil first and see if that is a more "gradual" induction route....  as gradual as that can be anyway!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Cervadil vs. Pitocin

• Options
    Cervadil is used to ripen the cervix.  If you're already dilated and effaced Cervadil is unnecessary.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Options

Cervadil and Pitocin are different things. Cervadil is to ripen/soften your cervix. It won't cause you to go into labor. If you are dilated far enough, Cervadil is unnecessary. Pitocin forces the contractions, which is semi pointless if you aren't dilating at all. You have a better chance of the induction working if your cervix is favorable before they start the Pitocin.

I had both for my induction. They put the Cervadil in at 10pm and at 10am they took it out and started the Pitocin. They almost skipped the Cervadil on me because I was almost 3cm dilated. I think she gave it to me to be nice and see if I went into active labor on my own over night. (When I went in to be induced, we learned that I had started early labor already.)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Cervadil was used to ripen my cervix. They put it in for 12 hours. It gave me menstrual-like cramps. Then they started Pitocin, at which point I got the epidural so I didn't really feel anything after that.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

They gave me cervadil around 7:30 am. Within 2 hours, my contractions had picked up to every 2 minutes. My water broke by itself around noon and DD was in my arms before 3 pm. My cramping and more painful contractions didn't start until after mmy water broke. I was a full week past my due date and barely dilated at all before the induction.

If given the option, I definitely try it again if I wasn't effaced or dilated enough yet!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket the right one will always make you feel like you are the most loved person in the world
  • Options
    I don't think thos are an either/or choice.  If you have to be induced and your not dilated then they start with cervadil.  If you are then they go to pitocin. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I know they work differently... I'm just trying to decide if maybe I tell my Dr. that if Cervadil is what we will use to induce next week, that would be fine, but if we need to go to Pitocin maybe I'll wait another week.  The hospital I go to doesn't give epidurals - they only give intrathecals so you have to be 6cm to get that.  Therefore, I'm a bit more scared about the pain associated with pitocin, which I know many women usually start pit AND get an epidural to help with that pain. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I had Cytotec instead of Cervadil, but my OB told me that if I had been dilated past 2cm they wouldn't have done it.  I was not dilated or effaced at all when I went in for the induction.  I got to 6cm with it but didn't really have any pain until after he broke my water.  Then they started the pit and I got the epi.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Options
    When my water broke with DD I wasn't dilated at all or having contractions so my OB started me on cervadil. I progressed really fast and had very painful contractions about 3 hours after starting it. My OB had to take it out. So, I think extremely painful contractions can come from either cervadil or pitocin, and the moral of the story is that since inductions aren't natural, you take the chance of having painful contractions no matter what. you just never know how an induction will go which is why I wouldnt get one unless there's no other choice and it's medically nesesarry. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was induced and my doctor had me start out with Cervadil first to help ripen my cervix along and I was given Pitocin hours later once I reached a certain point. The cervadil worked fine with me and the contractions just felt like strong cramps. I definitely noticed a difference with the Pitocin as it was certainly stronger and longer, but I didn't have to labor for very long thanks to the gradual build up by the cervadil. (Even though it still felt long.) I was in the birthing room for a total of 13 hours but only labored for four after they started the Pitocin and broke my water. It definitely helped in our case to make the total labor shorter, but every experience can be different.
  • Options
    cervadil is supposed to be in for 12 hours to ripen cervix- w/ my first they had to pull it out after a couple hours because it kicked me into full blown labor- only a fingertip dilated at the start. 
  • Options

imagesstrom22:
    I know they work differently... I'm just trying to decide if maybe I tell my Dr. that if Cervadil is what we will use to induce next week, that would be fine, but if we need to go to Pitocin maybe I'll wait another week.  The hospital I go to doesn't give epidurals - they only give intrathecals so you have to be 6cm to get that.  Therefore, I'm a bit more scared about the pain associated with pitocin, which I know many women usually start pit AND get an epidural to help with that pain. 

In general, if you have Cervidil, you get Pitocin afterwards. For some women, Cervidil alone is enough to put them into active labor, but they are the exception, not the rule. And active labor is active labor, whether it's Cervidil-induced or Pitocin-induced or spontaneous, so from a pain perspective, I don't think it'll matter. I'd suggest waiting as long as possible to induce, period, regardless of the method.

DD was induced with Cervidil for ~8 hours. I dilated from 1cm to 4cm on it, which was a surprise, as it's not really supposed to dilate your cervix, just thin it out (make it more effaced). After it was removed, my OB waited a few hours, to see if I'd start contracting on my own. I didn't, so I got Pitocin. FWIW, I didn't get an epidural. And I've now had a completely spontaneous labor, and didn't find spontaneous contractions to be any different from the Pitocin-induced ones.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• Options

This is perfect info for me as well as I am being admitted into the hospital TOMORROW MORNING if there are beds available. They will  check me first but will likely be doing the Cervadil to start and then alternating with pitocin. I am 41 and tomorrow is my due date. They do not want me to go past 40 weeks.

I have been told that it could take DAYS for me to start truly laboring. Interesting to hear what many of you have said. Curious to see what happens.

Need to admit it here while I can... I'm FREAKING out and didn't get SO much done as I had planned. Need to call the hospital in 5 1/2 hours. Time to try to SLEEP...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"