Pregnant after a Loss

Hospital bag & diaper bag, need advice!

It may sound silly, but I'm hesitating packing my hospital bag (even though I'm almost 35 weeks) for no good reason! When did you/will you pack your bag? Am I being crazy by not having this done already?!

Also, we still don't have a diaper bag. I didn't get one at my shower (mom hinted she might get me one so I waited) and now I'm really having a hard time picking one out, since the ones I've found are either a) butt ugly, b) totally lacking in features or c) perfect in every way but stupid expensive. What are some of your favorite diaper bags and again, am I nuts for not having this ready to go too?!

Re: Hospital bag & diaper bag, need advice!

• Ooh I would just pack your bag.  I had a hard time with that too but then it's done and ready for whenever you're ready. 

Diaper Bag.. I have a Vera Bradley that I paid $95 for and honestly I never use it.  I think I may have used it once as an over night bag but I never used it as DS's diaper bag. I ordered one from LLBean and we still use it.  I still send it to daycare with him with all of his stuff in it. I wash it all the time and there are some stains on the bottom that won't come out but it has stood up well and is still in great shape. DS is 3.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just packed my bag when I hit 37 weeks lol. I wrote a list of things I'd need in case DH had to pack it sooner but I didn't put anything together till last week. As far as the diaper bag goes- my mom got me mine but it is just a Carter's bag- all brown and green. I didn't want anything with "baby print" and also didn't want to spend too much since who knows if I'll use it a lot. So it's up to you! Good luck & just do a list if you can't pack yet! :)
    ? J + J = 5/29/10.?
    TTC since 8/2010. Irregular cycles after stopping BCP.
    1st BFP! 3/26/11. Missed M/C - D&C 5/2/11.
    Always missed: Our little Blueberry. It's Never Over.
    2nd BFP! 9/3/11 on last unmedicated cycle! EDD: 5/11/12
    1stBeta @13DPO = 289, 2ndBeta @15DPO = 619!
    ? Clementine Lorraine, we love you so much already! ?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Honestly, I can't remember when I packed my hospital bag last time around, but I'm sure I did it early, I'm just someone who is always packed early for everything.  I do know that I packed way too much stuff last time around and will be smarter about it this time around.

As for Diaper Bag, we have the Columbia Messenger Bag that I registered for and got as a shower gift from a close friend.  DS is now 2.5 yo and we use it everyday.  It has held up great.  Holds a ton and has both a insulated bottle compartment and a dirty duds bag, as well as a change pad.  I just threw my wallet, keys and cell in there when out and about with DS when he was an infant so I didn't have to carry a purse.  Another reason I went with this one was the fact that DH would not be embarrassed to carry it.  I also love that it has two small straps that you can snap onto the handle of your stroller to free up your basket for parcels and keep the diaper bag in easy reach.

Here's a link. 

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3199294

• I felt great packing my hospital bag because it seems like at this point it is the only thing I can control and prepare for haha!  Try packing it just a little at a time.

I was having the worst time with the diaper bag situation too.  I was sooo blessed though because my cousin/best friend/grandma all went in together and got me my coach diaper bag that I looooove but refused to spend the money on.  I figure with this being my 1st of hopefully more children, I can use this diaper bag with every child.  It is classic and won't go out of style.

• I have a Diaper Dudes diaper bag. I love it. My other diaper bag I have is a giant purse. Which is also another option for you. You don't need a poo ton of options. If you need a place to keep bottles cool you can get a lunch box for them. The rest of it jus has to store a changing pad, diapers, clothes, ect. So it doesn't have to be fancy. 

Mae for your bags for the hospital. I had mine packed  at 37 weeks. Since 35 weeks is still early.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have one of those JJ Cole sling packs. Honestly, the only time I ever use it is at the childrens museum where I want to have my hands free and I don't have a stroller along to stash my purse.

Otherwise, I just have a regular big purse. Inside the purse is a large zippered makeup/toiletry pouch that holds 4-5 diapers, a small pack of wipes, a changing mat and hand sanitizer. If I need to bring snacks I just put them in a ziplock bag and toss them in my purse. When DD was a newborn I'd also bring a ziplock bag with extra clothes because blowouts were inevitable. I never saw the need for a "real" diaper bag, and I also thought they were fug for the most part.

I can't help with the hospital bag... I can't remember when I packed mine with DD!

• imagetheresat858:

I haven't packed my hospital bag yet, and honestly I'm not sure there is much point in trying to pack it early, since most of the important things I will want in the meantime, too (ie camera, camera charger, cell phone charger, comfy pj pants, etc)...but I do mean to start one with toiletries and such this weekend.

This is definitely one of the reasons I haven't packed yet, I'm still using most of the stuff that I'll want in there! But starting with the toiletries is a good idea, and will hopefully make me a little calmer that I have something done!

imagetheresat858:

A friend of mine bought me the JuJuBe off my registry - yes, it is insanely expensive, but it is beautiful, just my colors, and I love it.

The JuJuBe is my dream bag. A ton of our clients use them and love them. I'm just having a hard time convincing DH to spend that kind of money on a diaper bag. Hopefully I can wear him down, otherwise, I'm probably going to get a plain black one from BRU...

• I think I packed my bag between 34-36 weeks, somewhere around there.  I packed a diaper bag, but wished I hadn't, as it just became one more thing to carry and we didn't use it.  You could pack it and then keep it in the car if you want.  But most likely you will be going straight home from the hospital, so you may as well just pack the baby's going home outfit in your bag, and throw a couple of diapers in your pocket book for that day.

Diaper bags do suck.  They often have so many features and pockets that they have nowhere to actually put anything that's needed.

I would look for a good-sized tote bag.  Vera Bradley ones are very nice and good quality if you want to spend the money, and the company Thirty-One might have something good and for an even better price.  I wouldn't recommend VB's diaper bag-suffers from the same issues as other diaper bags.  Then you can get a changing pad to keep in it.

Good luck!

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrs.DeliaMarieP:

You could pack it and then keep it in the car if you want.  But most likely you will be going straight home from the hospital, so you may as well just pack the baby's going home outfit in your bag, and throw a couple of diapers in your pocket book for that day.

This is what I was thinking of doing. I'm such a "just in case" planner/packer that I would hate to not have it and then need it. Although we live about 10 minutes from the hospital so if all else fails, DH can just run home and grab whatever I've forgotten :)

• I'd pack your bag now.  I figured I had all the time in the world and at my 37 week appt was sent straight to L&D.  You are into the point where anything can happen regarding delivery...so I'd recommend being prepared.  Husbands don't do such a good job packing, lol.

Regarding the diaper bag, I like my Skip Hop one.  Its got compartments enough to handle all I need to lug around and a strap that fits around the handles of strollers (that last part is key).  Its a little on the big side, but its pretty handy. 

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• I don't think you are behind or anything at all.  I started mine the end of 35 weeks.  I had to pick up a few  things, like a nursing tank,  nursing bra, and some jersey knit jammies that I could unbutton and nurse with.  Other than that, I've packed a light zip up sweatshirt, maternity yoga pants, and sweats.  All I packed for baby is her going home outfit.   I bought some jolly rancher suckers and lifesaver mints, will pack the camera, cell phone, ipad and makeup before i leave the house.  Toiletries too.I figured if I needed anything else I could send someone back to the house to get it.

As for the bag we got, we ordered the skip hop duo from all places, barnes and noble, where we got it on sale.  I haven't used I though, so I don't know if we will like it or not.   Here is the link

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/toys-games-jonathon-adler-duo-essential-diaper-bag-chevron-blue/22867952?ean=879674007130

BFP#1 EDD 11/8/11 - MC @ 9w6d, 4/15/11 we said goodbye
    BFP#2 DD arrived 5/7/12
  • imagebenoitfan:

Honestly, I can't remember when I packed my hospital bag last time around, but I'm sure I did it early, I'm just someone who is always packed early for everything.  I do know that I packed way too much stuff last time around and will be smarter about it this time around.

What do you think was "too much" and what would you call essential to be in the hospital bag?

• I think I'll probably pack my hospital bag around 35w, so I don't think your procrastinating.

I bought a Kate Spade baby bag on eBay years ago, and I think it was about $200. If I didn't have that, I would probably get one from the Coach Outlet for about the same price. I gave one to my BFF for her shower last year, and she loves it!

GL!!!

* PG #1 2/26/09: mm/c 4/14/09 at 10w4d | PG #2 8/5/09: mm/c 9/29/09 at 11w3d (boy) * 
    * CP's 4/14/10, 9/1/10, 4/19/11, 5/24/11, 10/14/13, 11/16/13 *
    * Ectopic 1/17/14 - nothing on u/s at 6w4d * 
    * PG #7 BFP 12/21/11 - DD born 8/31/12 * 
    * DH Dx'd with balanced translocation in 2011 *

• I didn't have my bag packed at 38 weeks with DS.  What a mistake.  I went in for my 38 week appt and was told I was having the baby THAT day!  I had to run home and pack and I felt so unorganized.  This time I will be packed by 35-36 weeks!  Just do it!  Smile

As for diaper bags, I have a black Eddie Bauer bag from BRU.  It's ok.  Don't love it, don't hate it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• It is better late than never when I had my son i brought 3 bags just in case always have a back up plan that's when you know are you prepared for anything pack what you feel comfortable with. Do what makes you feel better because the baby can come at anytime now. Get a regular bag and stuff all your baby stuff in one and all of your stuff in another and all of your higene in another. And nothing sounds silly do what you think because you thought it for a reason you go girl do what you feel is best that is a part of mother hood.
  • I put the suitcase in the nursery at about 35 weeks to make me feel like I was doing something but actually didn't pack until probably 37ish weeks.  A lot of the things I needed, I use every day so I was only able to pack a robe, slippers, notebook, etc. 

On the diaper bag, I have a JuJuBe BFF and love it.  It was expensive but I look at it as my purse when I'm not a work.   It's big enough without being insanely huge and it's light.  (plus pretty Big Smile)  With DS1, I bought a basic black microfiber diaper bag from BRU (can't remember the brand) but it was great.  It lasted years with no problems at all.  I totally could have used it with C but I wanted a new one.  You don't need to have the diaper bag ready.  I didn't even take it to the hospital because they give you everything there!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"