3rd Trimester

Diaper pail brand- input appreciated

For my baby shower, I received 2 different kinds of diaper pails and then a Diaper Genie hand-me down (an older version). I'm at a total loss as to which one(s) to keep. I figure I'll need one for baby's room and one for our bedroom.

My own thought process is that the ones that open with a foot pedal (Genie) will be helpful plus they are taller and thinner so take up less space... but I hate the idea of paying for all the insert bags for YEARS.

What are your thoughts?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Diaper pail brand- input appreciated

• We have a Safety 1st one that I love. It has a button up top to pop the lid open, but it takes regular trash bags, and has a compartment for deodorizer.
  • Definitely keep the one with the foot pedal.  You'll be holding a baby with one hand, and a poopy diaper with the other.  You won't have an extra hand to then open the pail!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been told by many that the Diaper Champ is the best one to use. You don't need to exclusively use their refills, which is a money-saver in my book.
    Bravado Bras at Nurtured FamilyBabyFruit Tickerimageimage
  • imageJFluvsJD80:
    I've been told by many that the Diaper Champ is the best one to use. You don't need to exclusively use their refills, which is a money-saver in my book.

I have heard this as well. I registered for a Diaper Genie at first, and still like the way it "looks" the best, but I think overall I will be happier with the Diaper Champ, being able to buy my own deoderizing bags and not being restricted to the Diaper Genie ones.

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BFP#1: 11/20/11, EDD 7/25/12, Emily Iris arrived 7/29/12 at 7 lb., 3.5 oz.

BFP#2: 8/25/13, EDD 5/4/14, MMC confirmed on 9/23/13, D&C on 9/26/13

BFP#3: 2/3/14, EDD 10/15/14, fraternal TWINS confirmed 2/21/14, two BOYS confirmed on 4/15/14!

• I find these diaper pails to be useless. You can put a stinky diaper in a plastic bag and go outside and throw it away. Call me old school, but hey!

• I have the diaper genie but have yet to use it, so I'm not very helpful.
  • I have a diaper genie and I like it. I don't have anything to compare it to (I've never used a different kind), but it holds in the stink :) I don't find the refills that annoying to purchase...with a coupon in the 3-pack it costs about $16 and that lasts me months-I've probably only had to buy 4 in the 19 months since I had my daughter.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Allergic to soy, oat, egg, peanuts, and tree nuts
  • We have a Diaper Champ. It worked great for about the first 8 months, and then the seal must have weakened. We now keep it in our arctic entryway since it started smelling. We chose it because it just used regular garbage bags.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have the DiaperDekor.  It has a foot pedal and you have to buy bags, but I just order them through amazon when I order diapers, so no big deal. It holds a lot of dirty diapers.  I have one in each nursery.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I bought the arm and hammer munchkin diaper pail. I like that it dispenses baking soda to absorb some of the odor.

I haven't used it yet though so we shall see how well it works.

Audrey is going to be a big sister!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemabenner1:
    We have a Safety 1st one that I love. It has a button up top to pop the lid open, but it takes regular trash bags, and has a compartment for deodorizer.

I have the same one and have been very happy with it. We take out the garbage twice a week and there have been no odor issues, even with a 2 year old.  

Sometimes I also use the Arm and Hammer deodorizing discs. They have a pleasant smell, but don't last for long.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • The older diaper genies suck.My mom had one w/ my youngest bro & my dad/stepmom had one with my other youngest siblings too... Huge age gap - anywho they're a waste of energy & personally did not like them. I haven't used the newer models of diiaper genies personally but was turned off at the fact when you have to change out the bag from underneath & also contain a built in razor. Not fond of that idea due to toddler safety. Personally I wanted the special bags & went with the Arm&hammer munchkin diaper pail - it's features appealed to me most but everyone looks for something different. Best advice, youtube search reviews on your pails & go from there. Other moms actually take time to demonstrate pro/con features.
  • Thanks all! Special thanks to cmurphy09 because I didn't know so much could be found on youtube. I've been watching a million videos on lots of baby-related topics ever since.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"