Pregnant after 35

Swelling Won't Go Down :(

I have a 35w appt tomorrow and I'm super swelled up. I played hookey today in hopes of getting it to go down. Guzzled lots of water and out my feet up, and if anything, it's worse. Any ideas on how to get it to go down by tomorrow morning at 9:30? I really don't want that lecture again. And, freaking OB out the fear of preeclampsia in me. 

Re: Swelling Won't Go Down :(

• I was afraid of that. On the plus side, I'm up every hour to pee anyway, lol. That's nothing new. Hopefully my BP is still where it has been and no protein!!!
  • I haven't been here in forever, so i may be missing something, but my feet are hugely swollen (35w) and my doctor shows me no pity.  I can vouch that eating no sodium and drinking water allllllll day will not cure those bad cases. It helped in the earlier weeks, but not anymore.  This is my second pregnancy and I've suffered with this each time.  Oh and I don't have preeclampsia or anything else.  My bp is great and my urine is good.  FWIW, my bff had preeclampsia and had no swelling in her feet and legs.
  • Loading the player...
  • My bp wasn't great to begin with. I've been at risk for PreE since the beginning. It went DOWN after I became pregnant, so I got a bit of a break there. There was a single instance of it being super high, 165/90, but I had just signed a bunch of paper work saying a dental procedure could kill me or the baby, so they let that one slide. I work in a high stress environment, I'm over weight, and both my mother and aunt developed it while they were AMA. I've had traces of protein in my urine off and on my whole pregnancy, and my edema last time caused her to give me a mini lecture. I was under strict orders to come home every night and put my feet up. Life just doesn't cooperate, hospital tour, DD's ROTC pass and review, then her award ceremony, broken AC at work. It's bad this week. For her, it's always been about WHEN I'll develop it, not if. She has me stopping work this week at 35w, after I had a 15 point jump in a week. It's still not bad, but that big a jump is a sign it could be headed that way. There's no sure way to prevent it, but she figures it's worth a shot.

So...that's why the swelling has me worried. I had a 4lbs weight gain at my last appt and it was ALL fluid build up. My mother and aunt both had 10lbs weight gains in a week with theirs. Anyway, we shall see.

• oh I hope you don't have it yet.  I had PreE with my first baby and its scary. Has  it been really hot and humid where you are?  That will keep my swelling up to where it won't go down.  I have a lot of swelling this pregnancy but nothing in my urine and my bp has stayed fine.  The only thing I have found effective from time to time in reducing my swelling is to make sure my feet are not just up but are above my heart and head (and sometimes that doesnt help either).  So try laying flat (as you can) on the bed and putting your feet up on the head board or on all of the piillows in you house and lay there all day if you can.  It is good you are at 35 weeks, if you do have it you will at least be in a time frame that the baby should be safe if they have to deliver early.  I am so sorry you are facing this, please keep us updated! I will be thinking about you

Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• The only thing that helps me is lemon water. A whole lemon, juiced into a large cup of water ( I add truvia so its like lemonade) once or twice a day for a couple of days... Its a natural diuretic and i have lost 2-4 pounds in a day of water weight doing so. I only do it here and there as to not dehydrate myself. Just a thought :) Hope it gets better for you!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No advice, but keeping you in my T&P.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well...I got a lecture on the swelling, but my BP hasn't changed and I only gained a pound from two weeks ago. I ventured, "Can I work until 37w?" but the answer was a firm no, lol. On the plus side, maybe the swelling will go down now that I'm off work. Oh, and he's head down!

On the down side, I had to have my GBS today and she checked was my cervix and was delighted to tell me it's high and tight and closed. I know I'm only 35w, but that was a bit of a let down!

• imageFyreFlyeRush:

Well...I got a lecture on the swelling, but my BP hasn't changed and I only gained a pound from two weeks ago. I ventured, "Can I work until 37w?" but the answer was a firm no, lol. On the plus side, maybe the swelling will go down now that I'm off work. Oh, and he's head down!

On the down side, I had to have my GBS today and she checked was my cervix and was delighted to tell me it's high and tight and closed. I know I'm only 35w, but that was a bit of a let down!

glad BP was stable, I take it no protien in the urine?  My cervix has remained high and tight as well and gosh even though I know better it still disappoints me every time! yay for being head down :-) he is getting ready

Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker

• I am late to respond but a 10-15 minute walk and then putting my feet up and drinking water works wonders for me.  It helps with my awful swelling but doesn't get me back to my cute shoes. 

Pregnancy Ticker Birthday
  • Fyre - I had horrible edema with DS and my BP was hig but literally lingered just a few points below where they worry... it didn't hit the worry zone until I check in to the hospital, and they chalked that up to my anxiety (I had never been admitted to a hospital before, and I was there to be indiced before my GD made the baby huge, or the BP became PreE). I hope your BP continues to cooperate, but I can vouch for the fact that putting your feet up and drinking water doesn't always help. HUGS, and congrats on starting maternity leave!
  • Boo! I'm sorry.

I was seriously swollen with DS. MY BP was awesome and I wasn't remotely PE, I just swelled after a road trip at 6 months and the swelling never went down. If I went out and was on my feet at all I'd have to lay flat on my back with my feet elevated for an hour afterward just to get my feet and legs so I could walk on them again:(

I agree with advice of PP's - no salt, tons of water and try to stay off your feet.

Good luck, girl!

• OP, I unfortunately have no advice for you, but I love your profile pic.  :)
  • Sorry am a couple days behind.  Sorry to hear about this.  I am glad your BP was good tho.  The one thing that I has worked for me my whole pregnancy and I haven't had BP issues at all, ok 1 but had a migraine that day, is eating lots of protein.  They say if you eat 80-100mg or more of protein a day, your risk of pre-e goes way down.  And being diabetic, eat lots of it.  Get well over 100mg/day and my BP's are really good.  I am also overwt and I did have some BP issues prior to pregnancy.  Good luck with everything!!  Keep us posted!!  Enjoy your time away from work, I know I am!!! 

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Glad to hear things are ok, BP-wise.

Cervix means nothing.  My sis had no cervical change the day prior to going into labor with both DDs.  I had cervical changes a month before I went into labor.

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Good to read you had a good apt and no signs of pre-e, maybe not working will bring the swelling down!!!  I have no info on the cervix as this is all new to me and im still learning new things everyday!!  Take care and the best of luck with all!!!

• I have been horribly swollen for months now. This last month it has gotten ridiculous and I am in pain. My feet feel as if they could split open. My dr is not concerned because I don't have preeclampsia or anything else. My bp is fine and my urine is good. But my feet look other-worldly.

I am going out of my way to avoid anything high in sodium, not add salt to food (boohoo), and drink lots of water (one cup every hour on the hour). My DH also puts moisturizer on my feet at least once a day because I'm getting this ugly dry lines in the creases. I feel like I belong in a freak show. But thanks for the reminder about lemon. That was suggested to me but I forgot. Off to get lemons to add to my water!

• I'm also late and glad your BP and appt were good. 

As for swelling, I too found that it helped with my other pregnancies if I walked for about 10-min, then did legs-up-the-wall (yoga pose) for another 10 or 15 min. 

or

Also my other midwives told me to not limit salt too much b/c it can also cause swelling - you need a little, but not a ton I guess (easier said than done).  Here is one short online article I found that agrees - https://pregnancy.about.com/cs/symptoms/a/swelling.htm.  My midwives said instead to drink Gatorade or other sports drinks with less sugar b/c they have a good mix of salt and hydrate you and can actually reduce swelling if you alternate between them and glasses of water. 

The last thing I remember helping was a pedicure/leg massage.  I only got one when pregnant, but that massaging up the calves really helped my swelling for a day. 

Good luck, I hope pre-e stays far away.

Two boys already - ages 5 and 3...

...baby #3 is here...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"