March 2012 Moms

Caring for Belly Button after stump falls off?

I've been hearing so many old wives tales.  and I'm so clueless on what to do.  My son is 6 weeks now and so far most experience moms have told me they did nothing.  My Ecuadorian family say to create small cotton ball over belly button and wrap with a belly binder.  What you guys think?

Re: Caring for Belly Button after stump falls off?

• I never heard that... when her cord feel off, there was a little bit of blood and a small dark clot.  My pedi told me to just dab with a wet cloth until the clot was gone.  It is gone and I can wash her like normal and give a bath bath instead of a sponge bath.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We did nothing to the stump or after the stump fell off and dds has healed nicely. She did have a couple of scabs that came and went but pedi said that is normal.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • DD just had a little dried blood left in there after the stump fell off.  We cleaned it with alcohol on a Q-tip once a day and the dried blood was gone in about 2 days.  We had also cleaned the stump with alcohol once a day.  The hospital said do nothing and the pediatrician said to clean twice a day with alcohol, so we just went in the middle of those two recommendations.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think it's a Hispanic OWT :-).  I'm Mexican and my mom said to do the same, only to put a quarter on his bellybutton and then wrap with the little binder.  My sister didn't and her baby's belly button looks fine.  I didn't either and it still hasn't gone back it, so I thinks it's just by chance.

me: 32 Mild Endo/Unexplained IF? dh: 29 TTC #1 since 2008 3 IUIs = Dec/Jan/Feb 09/10 BFN IVF #1 = BFP!!! 6/27/11 beta#1 14dp3dt=281! beta#2 17dp3dt=943! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ?
  • WipzWipz member
    imageazucasuccess:
    I've been hearing so many old wives tales.  and I'm so clueless on what to do.  My son is 6 weeks now and so far most experience moms have told me they did nothing.  My Ecuadorian family say to create small cotton ball over belly button and wrap with a belly binder.  What you guys think?
    They used to say if you taped a button over the belly button it would stop you having an outie.. maybe that is what they are referring to... we didn't do anything.. his fell off and that was that.... there was a little dried blood in his belly button but that washed out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"