Baby Showers

Do you register for nursery furniture? XP.

My initial thought is NO. That is A our responsibility, and B I would not want to wait that long to have those established in the room. However, I have heard differently from quite a few people.

So what are your thoughts? Yes, or no, and why.

Re: Do you register for nursery furniture? XP.

• I would say definitely not. Not only because yes, it is your responsibility and that you would like to have those things ready before the shower, but also because anyone looking on your registry might think you are being gift grabby....

If I saw a crib for 300 bucks on someone's registry, I'd side eye them a little bit. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I personally did not register for anything for the nursery except a few accessories to go with baby bedding. It is completely up to you though IMO. You never know what people are going to buy you:) Also, many places have a completion discount for registries so If you put it on there and after the shower don't get it, you will have 10% off.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have seen everything on people's registries. Sometimes grandparents buy really big ticket items.

With that said, we bought our own jogging stroller and our own furniture, rocking chair included. We personally felt crass putting those items on a registry. 

I had a friend once put 4 strollers on hers. None of them were less than $400. I thought it was pretty side eye worthy, but people bought them for her. 

• We registered for our crib and mattress, but it was because my MIL said she wanted to purchase those items.  She lives across the country from us and it was just easier for her to click and purchase them directly off the registry.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • We're not registering for ours.  My in-laws are purchasing the crib and changing table and it's from a different store than we're registering at.
  • I put the mattress and stroller/pack n play. I bought the furniture myself.

I don't expect people to buy our furniture. Plus our shower is at 34w and I want my furniture by then. 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Whenever I see a higher ticket item on a registry, I assume they are planning on using the completion coupon to purchase it, not thinking someone will buy it for them.  If you're worried about how it will look, you could always create a hidden registry with a different email address (and earlier due date Wink) with the big ticket items, and maybe boring stuff like diapers and post partum supplies, and you'd still be able to use a completion coupon.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural miscarriage @ 5w2d 5/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh I did register for the mattress. But my mom wanted to buy it, so that's why I put it on there.

• I wouldn't expect anyone to buy the furniture off of the registry but I dont see the harm in adding it. We didn't put the crib or changing table on ours because we ended up just buying it before the shower. We did put a chair and table for the nursery that I wouldn't expect anyone to buy for us because they are expensive but we will receive a discount on any items not bought after our shower date and that will save us quite a bit of money which is worth it to us. I have been to plenty of showers that had big items on their registry and it didn't make me think they were gift grabby..

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageelainelbuck:

We registered for our crib and mattress, but it was because my MIL said she wanted to purchase those items.  She lives across the country from us and it was just easier for her to click and purchase them directly off the registry.

This was us, too.  My mom wanted to buy the crib and it was easier to add it to a registry.  Otherwise, I would have had to talk my mom through the online purchase process... "Ok, type in https://www.bab..., now see where it says xyz at the top, click it..."  Not my idea of a good time conversation ;) 

"To be able to practice five things everywhere under heaven constitutes perfect virtue...gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness."
  • imageBakerMommy:
    Whenever I see a higher ticket item on a registry, I assume they are planning on using the completion coupon to purchase it, not thinking someone will buy it for them.  If you're worried about how it will look, you could always create a hidden registry with a different email address (and earlier due date Wink) with the big ticket items, and maybe boring stuff like diapers and post partum supplies, and you'd still be able to use a completion coupon.

This is exactly what I think when I see really expensive items on a registry! I would never expect anyone to buy our furniture, and I really feel uncomfortable registering for it- even though I wouldn't think I was being overly gift grabby, others might... Plus, my MIL might actually BUY them, and then I'd feel awful!

I love the idea about the secret registry for the completion coupon! I will do that instead- thanks for the idea ;)  

• We added all the furniture we wanted for baby but only because our parents wanted to buy them for us, and this was an easier option then telling them or sending them links. Plus we live 400+ miles away and they are shipping to us... But otherwise i would not put that on there. I think you only get the completition coupon after babys due date, so you will for sure need them all before then... :o)

but if you know someone wants to get it for you, then why not?

Good Luck!

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• We registered for our crib and dresser.  It didn't cross my mind not to, but I didn't expect to receive it.  I expected to purchase it myself using the discount later.  Meanwhile, we planned to use a cradle that has been passed down in our family for 40 years so there was no rush.  However, my MIL purchased the crib for us, another family friend purchased the mattress and a bedding set, and my parents purchased the dresser.  

It doesn't phase me to see nursery furniture on someone's registry. 

• My mom thought it was weird we were registering for it but we only have like 5 items over $50 and we have both our sets of parents and grandparents who are all going to want to buy something "big". I think we'll keep it on and if no one buys it, we will. 
    Pregnancy Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We registered for the crib and dresser, even though MIL had already said she wanted to buy it. This way, not only did she and I both get points for it, but people who bought things we hadn't registered for could know what decor we were looking at.

For example, a family gave us a beautiful picture frame with LO's name in caligraphy in the same color wood as the dresser and crib. Not sure if they looked at the furniture before deciding on the frame, but it can't hurt.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The only thing that I needed to have for my nursery was the crib and my in laws said they wanted to by it.  I did put a glider but not really expecting people to buy it.  I don't think that it would be bad. People will buy what they would like to buy off of it anyway.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageelainelbuck:

We registered for our crib and mattress, but it was because my MIL said she wanted to purchase those items.  She lives across the country from us and it was just easier for her to click and purchase them directly off the registry.

I agree with you. I know my MIL will want to buy the furniture. Since she lives an hour from me, it will not be on the registry, but since your mom is across the country, the registry makes sense.

It seems that someone in your family will probably want to buy that for you or a group of family members.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • I won't register for furniture b/c my parents still have most of my baby furniture hanging around and I plan to use that.  

However; I wouldn't side eye anyone for it.  In fact, some people may prefer to go in as a group to get a big ticket item to really help out the mother-to-be (especially if the smaller stuff on the registry is already picked over).  I'd rather get something that will be appreciated vs. going off-registry.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes, because I want to use my completion coupon to buy the stuff.  And my mom bought the crib.  :-)  There are plenty of lower priced items for others to buy.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I see no reason why my nursery furniture needs to arrive before the shower, when the baby will sleep in a co-sleeper in our bedroom for at least the first few months.  It's kind of bizarre to me that people think everyone's living situation is the same.  We're currently renting out the room that will be the nursery.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"