3rd Trimester

No, I'm not due any day now and no, I'm not having twins!

I don't understand why people find it necessary to comment on how big you look pregnant. It happens all the time. I was just at the gym and a woman was going on and on. I'm only 30 weeks pregnant and people think I'm due any day or having twins. It's getting super annoying. I'm a fairly small person, I'm not swelling anywhere but my belly is somewhat narrow and sticks out far. My baby is measuring a bit bigger than he should at this point but I don't think that's it. I'm confused. Is it the way he's positioned? My belly is measuring exactly where it should each time I go to the doctor. So I guess my question is, why do I look so big to people and why do people think just because you are pregnant they can comment on your body? Especially strangers.

Re: No, I'm not due any day now and no, I'm not having twins!

• People have no filter.  The Fed Ex guy once said to me "looks like you're ready to have that baby any day now".  I was 26 weeks at the time.  I almost kicked him in the shin.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I don't know but im getting this too. Im measuring exactly 34 weeks. I wanta smack the strangers. I know im short so baby mostly goes out. I have tall children my son is in the 98th percile. But other than that people are just plain rude. I don't mind if I get a wow your big comment from a friend but the lady checking out my items at target? Don't think im gonna make it to the month im suppose to give birth in? Well unless your my doctor or my mother keep it to yourself. 

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have noticed that the people that make the most comments are people who have never been pregnant or have not been pregnant for a long time. Don't let it get to you some people don't understand how annoying their comments can be.

I have two aunts who have twins on either side of my family. Both never knew they were having twins until they were in the delivery room. So of coure both sides of my family always say "Are you sure there are not two in there. You know so and so didn't know."

• I have the same complaint just polar opposite issue. People keep expressing how small I look & am already 35 weeks.  Went to a bbq over the weekend & it was expressed to me how small I am incomparison to a girl who's 1 month behind me by pretty much everyone. Friggin obnoxious on top of the fact I'm HR & already worried about baby's development. Overall ppl just need to keep their mouths contained & think about what they're saying 1st... grass isn't greener on either side
  • We were out to dinner Saturday night, and this woman came out of nowhere to say "Wow mama, you're all belly aren't you?" she then proceeded to come in for a touch... she's lucky she stopped because I would have karate chopped her. I'm 29 weeks, and yes, I still have a figure, a slightly puffy face, and a big belly. Sue me.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I think people just like to weigh in with their opion, warranted or not.

Today alone I've been told:
    - It looks like you're finally showing
    -Wow, are you having triplets?
    - You're all belly
    -You look tired and swollen (that person is lucky they have all their teeth still)

Can I just work from home for the next 12 weeks?

• And I'm thinking my super short torso doesn't help how big my belly looks either.
  • People just say the stupidest stuff sometimes. When I was 6 months I had someone do the same thing, asking if I was having twins and shocked I wasn't due any day. Then the other week, I am now 9 months Prego, I had a lady tell me that I looked 6 months pregnant. Um, just keep your comments to yourself and say, "you look great," no matter what they think! Just embrace the bump, it is a beautiful thing!

But next time, ask them when they are due. That will shut them up! 

• Yep! I'm getting it too! My Dr. says I'm measuring right on, too. I know mine will be a big and long baby because my first was so it hasn't worried me much.

I can handle it from men just because I know they don't get it, but when I have women here at work, who have had kids before,commenting on how big I am, I just don't have any patience. I started complaining to people about it and now it has started to simmer down because I think the word is getting around that they are making me feel like crap! Strangers are another story, but I figure I won't see them again so I'll just brush them off.

Just try to focus on the awesome people who tell you look great and brush off the stupid people who need to shut their traps!

Good luck!

• imageericamanuela:

I don't understand why people find it necessary to comment on how big you look pregnant. It happens all the time. I was just at the gym and a woman was going on and on. I'm only 30 weeks pregnant and people think I'm due any day or having twins. It's getting super annoying. I'm a fairly small person, I'm not swelling anywhere but my belly is somewhat narrow and sticks out far. My baby is measuring a bit bigger than he should at this point but I don't think that's it. I'm confused. Is it the way he's positioned? My belly is measuring exactly where it should each time I go to the doctor. So I guess my question is, why do I look so big to people and why do people think just because you are pregnant they can comment on your body? Especially strangers.

You have described my experience exactly!  I started getting this at 30 weeks also.  I have a really short torso so I think that's why but it's still RUDE! 

• Gah! I know! My FIL keeps saying how big the baby is going to be and has been for a while. I want to punch him every time, but then again he is known for saying stupid shiiit all the time.

For SuzyQ and all March 15 loss moms

BabyFruit Ticker

• This is the EXACT same situation with me. I'm 30 weeks along as well, but I am carrying big. Baby measure 4 more weeks than what I actually am. And I haven't gotten big anywhere else, just my belly. My very BIG belly. I get the same comments...'"wow, you are about to pop" or "are you sure there aren't 2 in there?". Ahhh....no and no!

Don't worry about it. The best advice my OB gave is this: ignore what everyone tells you. For some reason when women are pregnant people feel the need to give their opinion or unwanted advice- don't take it!

• imagekbuesgens:

Yep! I'm getting it too! My Dr. says I'm measuring right on, too. I know mine will be a big and long baby because my first was so it hasn't worried me much.

I can handle it from men just because I know they don't get it, but when I have women here at work, who have had kids before,commenting on how big I am, I just don't have any patience. I started complaining to people about it and now it has started to simmer down because I think the word is getting around that they are making me feel like crap! Strangers are another story, but I figure I won't see them again so I'll just brush them off.

Just try to focus on the awesome people who tell you look great and brush off the stupid people who need to shut their traps!

Good luck!

Your post is awesome & you're totally right about comments from women vs men. I was surprised to get a comment on how 'small' I am from another preggo. I was going to say she looked great but she shot that down almost instantly... Personally I think women take their insecurities out on another & it's just lame. Men on the other hand just always seem to be putting their foot in their mouth. My DH even had a foot in mouth moment when we had lunch with a friend of mine (his bf wife) - he bluntly stated how thankful he was to not be a woman, instantly he blushed & tried to counteract the statement but there was no coming back... i couldn't help but laugh at his embarrasment 

• I am so sorry that people are saying these things to you. I too have been getting tons of rude comments. I am a petite person, but like you my belly is narrow and sticks out far, so I get asked all the time if my twins are due soon. I am only 32 weeks, so it's going to be a long 8ish weeks ahead...
  • Lol, Oh the comments!! Luckily I haven't gotten that many, but I did get one the other day, it was also at the gym and fortunately this was a friend of mine or I would have knocked his teeth out. He said "whoa! looks like you are ready to pop!!" I was like, umm thanks, I still have 8 weeks left... then because he said it so loud and he is the captain of the fire department  and all of his guys were there and they all yelled out, I'll deliver it, I need the training! Really?! 
    Life is a journey, not a destination BabyFetus Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yeah I know, and that the other thing. When women find out I have two months left they say "oh god, you're going to have a difficult two months!" Ugh!
  • there is this foreign guy at my work ... we aren't friends by any means, just the usual hello, how are you? well ever since i've been pregnant all he can say is how BIG i am, how BIG my belly is ... followed by a chuckle. REALLY GUY?! i want to punch him, but i refrain.
  • I have the opposite issue...I'm 32 weeks and small, so much so that people assume I'm just starting my 2nd trimester and I'm almost done!  Then the unprovoked questions come about well why don't you eat, you're going to have a small unhealthy baby at this rate.  Um no I'm sorry, my doctor said he's fine and normal sized, I just happen to have strong ab muscles!  Just frustrating so I sympathize!
  • HkayeHkaye member
    I know how you feel people at work say stuff like that all the time like oh you won't make it to your due date and your getting so big. Well no *** you do realize there is a baby growing in there and its getting bigger so of course I am too. Mine is all in my belly too but that doesn't mean anyone should comment on your size. Next time I plan on telling them they look much bigger too! Or ask them when they are due that should get them to shut up!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • imagel_kolar2005:
    I have the opposite issue...I'm 32 weeks and small, so much so that people assume I'm just starting my 2nd trimester and I'm almost done!  Then the unprovoked questions come about well why don't you eat, you're going to have a small unhealthy baby at this rate.  Um no I'm sorry, my doctor said he's fine and normal sized, I just happen to have strong ab muscles!  Just frustrating so I sympathize!

I can totally sympathize. I'm 35 & last measured in the 30th percentile, which I believe was 31 wks..But everytime someone makes a comment on how small I am, I feel like they are subtly implying this same thing - despite the fact Dr. has been happy thus far... 

• Ignorant stranger: You look like you're going to pop.

Me: Well, I have a month to go, so thanks for rubbing it in...jerkface.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • For some reason, my DH family thinks that we are having twins, even though we have sent them umpteen ultrasound pictures and we know for a fact there is only one in there, they keep asking if we are having twins.  This weekend was the first time they had seen me since I was showing, and I am 30 weeks.  All his mom said was I looked "healthy", the Dr. has not said anything about my weight gain or measuring large.  Also, today, the school I work at, one of the teachers said, you are about to pop, huh?  I said...10 more weeks!!
  • I'm debating getting shirts printed that say "Go ahead, say something about how big I am/tired I look. I dare you". I know that I am very big. I'm not having twins, but am having a big baby (I measured 40 at my 32 week appt and they estimated his weight at over 5lbs then). And I know that I look tired. I just don't get why people feel like it's ok to say these things to you when you are pregnant, but would never say them to a non pregnant woman. Do they think it's safe because they can run faster and think we can't catch them? I don't get it.
  • Sorry you have to experience this. People are jerks.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Elonah [3], Bentley [1]

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"