November 2011 Moms

Pink Eye?

Has anyone's LO gotten pink eye yet? LO was just getting over a cold and yesterday he had greenish eye boogers (in just one eye) for most of the day. He woke up in the middle of the night with both of his eyes crusted shut. He doesn't have a fever, there's no redness in his eyes, and he doesn't seem fussier than normal (except for when he woke up and couldn't open his eyes).

What do you ladies think? I called the pedi and hoping they can get him in today but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this before. Is it just antibiotics for treatment or do they give eye drops as well?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Pink Eye?

• A couple of weeks ago I was worried that I had pink eye! I went to the doc right away, and it was just allergies. I've never had issues with allergies before, my doc said this spring is especially bad for it.  Maybe its the same thing with your LO?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LO had the same problem and daycare even told me to keep an eye on it in case it was pink eye. Well the pedi said that it's just allergies and it has already cleared up. I would talk to your pediatrician. It could just be allergies as well. And from what I have heard (and I am by no means an expert), they give eye drops I think.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageskipperkelly:

Has anyone's LO gotten pink eye yet? LO was just getting over a cold and yesterday he had greenish eye boogers (in just one eye) for most of the day. He woke up in the middle of the night with both of his eyes crusted shut. He doesn't have a fever, there's no redness in his eyes, and he doesn't seem fussier than normal (except for when he woke up and couldn't open his eyes).

What do you ladies think? I called the pedi and hoping they can get him in today but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this before. Is it just antibiotics for treatment or do they give eye drops as well?

I've never had pink eye (and neither has LO), but the nurse in the hospital after DD was born said that breast milk would clear up pink eye....?!??  Anyone tried this?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Mine had it. It was exactly that - green crust and some goo. His eyes didn't look pink to me either but I called it in to the pedi and she called in an eye gel antibiotic and that cleared it up in one day, but we had to give it to him for a week. So it wasn't a drop, but a gel, which I thought was weird. Made applying it a little harder but he was fine with it. Good luck, hope your little guy gets better whatever it is!

• If the eye isn't actually pink/red it's probably not pink eye.  Check in with your pedi and see what they think.  DD hasn't had it but DS had it all the time and DH and I got it a few times as well.  Yuck!  They normally don't prescribe antibiotics, they just give drops. And, yes, breastmilk will clear it up.  We've done that as well.  Just hand express a bit into a cup and then if you have a clean dropper use that to get it into his eye

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies! I'll let you know what the pedi says.

using BM is interesting...I might have to try that.

• DS son had this. But chances are if he just had a cold then it is a viral eye infection. I took DS to the pedi and they did give him antibiotic eye gel "just in case" it was bacterial. My BIL is a doctor and told me it was viral if he got it right after a cold. I never used the antibiotic and it cleared up completely after about 10 days. My pedi said to use warm compresses with a clean paper towel but be sure you do t reuse the paper towel and use a different towel for each eye.
         Lilypie - (2Lt7)      Lilypie - (WFOL)

Jonah Stephen born at 39w on 11/3/2011                Naomi Isabel born at 37w 5d on 5/27/2013
  • My daughter woke up with the same thing a few weeks ago. I was worried she had scratched her eye because her nails were too long. The eye wasn't red at all, but she had a lot of eye boogers just on one side. I have a friend who's an eye doctor, and he was kind enough to stop by and take a look at her. He said that it was most likely a plugged tear duct, and showed me how to massage the duct to help unclog it. He gave me a prescription for antibiotics just in case, but I never gave them to her and it was gone the next day. It started to come back a little a week later and went away immediately after I massaged it again. You can Google 'Nasolacrimal duct obstruction' to read more about it.

Both the eye drops and gel are antibiotics, and a lot of doctors prescribe them 'just in case'. I personally try and avoid using antibiotics on myself and my kiddo unless absolutely necessary, so you may want to give it a day or so to see if it clears up. If it looks worse or there is redness, make sure your doctor takes a look at it though. A viral infection can also cause eye boogers without a lot of redness, and it will clear up on its own. Antibiotics have no effect on viruses.

Here's a little bit about how to do the massage:

Treating Blocked Tear Ducts

Kids with blocked tear ducts often can be treated at home. Your doctor or pediatric ophthalmologist may recommend that you massage the eye several times daily. Before massaging the tear duct, wash your hands. Place your index finger on the side of your child's nose and firmly massage down toward the corner of the nose. You may also want to apply warm compresses to the eye to help promote drainage and ease discomfort.

• D2 woke up Saturday morning with gunky eyes and she has a little cold, very congested.  I didn't even think pink eye, I figured that she was so congested it came out her tear ducts too.

I wiped her down with a warm washcloth.  She had a little gunk after her nap but much less, kind of on par with her congestion.

I have used breastmilk for pink eye in me and it cleared it right on up.

• Just got back from the pediatrician with the same thing.  She had a bad cold and then all of a sudden this nasty goop coming out of her eyes all the time and crusting over when she sleeps.  Turns out she has a double ear infection and the goopy eyes are apparently quite  common side effect of that.  Hoping she starts to feel better soon.  It's been a rough rough week.
  • Took LO to the pedi yesterday and we have pink eye. Prescribed some drops and hoping he feels better soon.

Thanks for all of the advice.

• imageskipperkelly:

This was my LO exactly a couple of weeks ago. He was getting over a cold and then had the same green, crusty goo. Daycare sent him home with "pink eye" but when we went to the pedi, he said it wasn't pink eye. He said it was probably a viral infection from his drainage due to the cold - not a bacterial infection, such as conjunctivitis/pink eye. He still gave us eye cream to satisfy daycare and I kept him home the next day. The green crusties stuck around for a couple of days but then he was fine. He was never fussy or anything either.

• imageskipperkelly:

Took LO to the pedi yesterday and we have pink eye. Prescribed some drops and hoping he feels better soon.

Thanks for all of the advice.

I am so late to this and didn't read down all the way before my previous post! Hope your LO gets better soon!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"