Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Anyone BF for only 6 months? Also on 3-6

Also on 3-6 month board

I feel really confused about what to do. I am currently ebfing my 5 month old son. I've been lucky (knock on wood) to have had a wonderful bfing experience with very little problems.

I am however condsidering weaning or starting to wean him at 6 months. I feel like it takes time away from my 2 1/2 year old DD. I havent put her to bed since DS was born since they both have the same bedtime so I nurse DS while DH reads and puts DD down.

I also do not feel comfortable bfing in public so if we ever go anywhere I have to pump before we leave the house, ina ddition to pumping 3 times at work.

I feel so guilty stopping at 6 months, but its somehting that I am really considering. Anyone do this?

Re: Anyone BF for only 6 months? Also on 3-6

• I did it.

Like you it was a time management issue. Then I started having supply issues.

I just told myself, I did it, I tried, I succeeded, that's good enough.

My kid is happy, healthy and thriving, why should I feel guilty about that? It's how I look at it.

I actually felt more guilty that it was starting to stress me out and I had time for nothing else, kwim?

You have to do what's best for you and there's no shame in that.

• I also stopped a few weeks shy of 6 months.  Going back to work was a struggle for me and it just started giving me extra stress.  You should be proud of 6 months if stopping now is what is best for you and your family.

Eff Yeah! Mighty Ducks
    Oct '14 September Siggy Challenge
    Teenage Crush

DD: E, 8/20/11
    DS: N, 7/11/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • 6 months is great!  I am a huge advocate for happy baby, happy mommy, happy family.  If it's stressing you out, it's only going to make things worse. 

What about seeing if you can FF during the day, and nurse morning and night? That'd be the way to start weaning, and you can see how it would work for you and your LOs.  You could also continue to pump (maybe just once?) at work, and have that milk in the freezer you could give once a day or so after you wean.  That way, DS would still get some breast milk if that's what you want.

Honestly, formula is there for a reason.  If it's what would work best for your family, there's nothing wrong with that.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ditto-- I made it to 6 months and now am weaning.  I consider 6 an accomplishment considering I've been working full time since 10 weeks.  Honestly, the constant pumping just wore on me, and my supply has not kept up with my baby, so the only feeding I can really fill him up is first thing in the morning.  It's time for me to stop, and I'm ok with that (even though my mom and sisters have given me a hard time!).  6 months is great, IMO!
    Married May 9, 2009, Fall Creek Falls State Park, Tennessee Male factor infertility, BFP after two failed IUIs and one IVF image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • I did.  I too had a great experience with bf, and had set my goal of 6 mos. Once 5 mos came, DD was becoming interested solids so I took that cue to begin weaning. 

I first took away my work pumpings (3 also and had been doing those since going back to work at 7 weeks).  Then was down to bfing in the morning and before bed, which was a relief in itself. I finally finished this past weekend, took about a month to completely wean.  

DD has handled the transition like a champ and is enjoying more solids too.  I felt guilty/selfish too, I think it's a mother thing :)  You need to do what is best for you and your family.

• You did 6 months! That is awesome! My goal for both boys was 6 months. I made it to 9 with DS1 (I ep'd) and plan to do the same now with DS2 (I ebf). The only reason I did longer than my original goal was b/c I am too cheap to buy formula. Plus, nursing is so much easier than going to the kitchen to get formula. I hear you on the not going places thing. We do go places, but I have not mastered the nursing in public thing, so I rarely do it. I go to a bathroom or my car.

Come to think of it, most of my friends nursed for 6 months and then weaned.  You should feel great about it. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • I only made it to 4 mo. but was grateful I lasted that long! Even though I had an awesome supply, I honestly never had a relaxing BF experience with any of them--I EP'd for DDs since one DD wasn't getting it and I figured it would be best for me to do it the same way.

For DS, I had hoped to EBF but then found I was pumping out of familiarity but more so b/c my 2 y/o DDs were always at my side or getting into things while I was trying to nurse. I saved up a huge freezer stash for DS though and I reminded myself that there was no magic #s or rule that said I had to BF X amount of months. All my kids are thankfully healthy and so I just stopped when I felt it is was time. I found myself happier with that transition.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker,Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am struggling with this very decision right now.  I feel this intense pressure to stop.  I think it's b/c I BF'd DS for 6 mo and that was always what I had in the back of my mind as a goal.  Well, DD is a much better nurser than DS was.  It is hard to pump as much as i need to during the day, too.  We decided to give DD a bottle of formula (at daycare) each day to see how she does.  Once sh'e ok with that, I will drop a pumping session.  Then maybe another...and maybe evern another...and see what happens.  In any cas,e I am happy we made it this far and I vow to not have any regrets. :) Give yourself a break.  if it's what's best for your family, wean.  There is absolutely no shame in feeding your baby :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • As for nursing in public, have you tried nursing in a carrier? People often just think DD is sleeping if I have her in the Ergo with the hood up. Have you tried nursing in your car?

As for the bedtime routine, I would considering trying to adjust one of the bedtimes before I gave up breastfeeding, but that is just me.

Good luck with your decision.

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMRoss1982:
    I did. My goal was always to make it to 6 months. I completed that, and then I stopped. It was getting harder and harder to work full time, pump and bf. I'm happy I made it to 6 months and am fine with her having formula now. Do what you think is best, for both you and baby.

Exactly this. Do what feels right, breast milk is great for you and your baby, but formula is ok too. You will be a wonderful mommy either way:) Only wonderful mommy's worry about things like this:)

• imageSailorGray:

You did 6 months! That is awesome! My goal for both boys was 6 months. I made it to 9 with DS1 (I ep'd) and plan to do the same now with DS2 (I ebf). The only reason I did longer than my original goal was b/c I am too cheap to buy formula. Plus, nursing is so much easier than going to the kitchen to get formula. I hear you on the not going places thing. We do go places, but I have not mastered the nursing in public thing, so I rarely do it. I go to a bathroom or my car.

Come to think of it, most of my friends nursed for 6 months and then weaned.  You should feel great about it. 

I am also too cheap to buy formula. I made it to 6 with my first and I still bf my DS2. But I also am a sahm so it's just easier.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I EBF for the first 6 months and then stopped.  I would have loved to go longer but DD got her first tooth at 3 months by time 5.5 months rolled around she had 8 teeth in far enough I was able to feel them.  She never really bit me but the light grazing of her teeth was really starting to hurt my boobs. Especially if she was really hungry she just got more avid and more painful for me.  I will admit I kept going those couple extra weeks to 6 months because I felt a huge amount of guilt for stopping.  But eventually I came to terms with it.  A happy mommy makes for a happy baby.  We're at 2 weeks now with no pumping or nursing and now I can admit to no longer feel nervous to feed her because of any pain she might cause me because of the BFing.  Now if only formula was cheaper.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"