Multiples

Any Quad moms out there?

Just recently found out i am pregnant w/ Quads and am terrified...

Any Quad moms out there?

Also, any triplet mammas who were faced with SR? my doc is strongly advising it.  This is not an option i would like to take, but am trying to gather information. Thx!

TTC since 10/2010; 3 rounds of clomid 2011- BFNs; IUI #1: 6/2012 BFN; IUI #2: 10/2012 BFP, lost our little one around 6 weeks; IUI #3: 3/2012 BFP, Beta #1 13dpo: 464, Beta #2 18dpo: 3,727. U/s #1:5 sacs, 4 heartbeats! U/s 4/26: 5 heartbeats! BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Any Quad moms out there?

• Not a quad mom .. I am expecting twins but just wanted to wish you luck! I know its exciting, overwhelming, and scary all at the same time! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • There are a few quad moms around here, I'll try to get some of them to come chime in for you.

First off, congrats!! When did you find out? Do you know if they're identical/fraternal yet? 

I'm *only* a triplet mom, but SR is a very personal subject and that really is going to have to be up to you and your beliefs. Personally, I said if the doc even mentioned it I'd be finding a new doc. They never said a word. With quads I might have at least listened to the doctors reasons, but I still wouldn't do it. Personally, I just cannot make that choice. How would I choose? Which baby would I not want? But again, that is up to you and your risk factors. Are you already in for a high risk pregnancy even without multiples (age, health, other factors)? Or are you a perfectly healthy younger mother who would have theoretically carried a singleton pregnancy to term with no issues? There's a lot to weigh in a decision like that.

~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • thank you.  we found out thursday- they r fraternal.  there was a fifth sac as well, but it was empty..

i am pro-life and thought i would never consider SR.  after reading some of the stats on quad pregnancies, though, i found myself considering it and i hate that! the stats are not good and very scary... i have read that 70-75% of the babies make it and 50-60% will have major birth defects.  (will ask my doc to verify these, as i know u can't believe everything u read) i just don't think i could live with myself if i went through with it.  i am 29 and have no health problems, though i have miscarried before. 

TTC since 10/2010; 3 rounds of clomid 2011- BFNs; IUI #1: 6/2012 BFN; IUI #2: 10/2012 BFP, lost our little one around 6 weeks; IUI #3: 3/2012 BFP, Beta #1 13dpo: 464, Beta #2 18dpo: 3,727. U/s #1:5 sacs, 4 heartbeats! U/s 4/26: 5 heartbeats! BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am only a twin MoM but I started off as a triplet MoM until we found out that Baby C had stopped growing at 8 weeks. 

I would try and contact the local Mom of Multiples group-I know that mine has at least one quad mom, and one actually really recently.  

I would also look into MOST- Moms of Super Twins.  I am sure they would be able to connect you with a "Big Sister" that may be able to answer some questions.  They also have a private forum that you could post on as well.

I remember how scary it was to see those 3 sacs.  We had triggered with 2 mature follicles, so we never thought there would be three.  

Good luck!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Triplet mom here, I had to have the reduction talk 3 or 4 times with my Doctors. I told them going in that I would not reduce triplets or quads. Once I found out how they do it my mind was even more made up. Get a good team of MFMs...good luck!
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • preg with trips. my re really wanted me to reduce since i already lost a triplet pregnancy. we thought about about it for a second...if it were quads which we thought maybe it was for a few weeks i may have really considered it since we didnt want to risk another loss. that being said hearing how they go about the process seems creepy....and its not covered by insurance 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Quad mom here with 2.5 year old healthy quadruplets born at 32 weeks.  We were given the talk about SR but I was against it and told the mfm and never heard another word about it.  It is a personal decision that only you can make but I think you would be surprised just how many quad pregnancies have had happy endings.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Visit our blog at www.benandkarisjourneytoparenthood.blogspot.com
  • Another triplet mom. I was originally pregnant with quads we lost our baby D. When we found out the RE wanted us to do SR they told me about but I all ready knew I would not do it. I told my husband and we talked about it and decided no. It is a personal choice that only you and your husband can make. It is very scary and takes awhile to sink in. Good luck. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i truly appreciate every single reply so much.  we are still gathering info; unfortunately, i seem to only find negative things and not many positive stories with good outcomes.  thank you all for sharing your stories.
  • First of all, congratulations!

Secondly I wanted to tell you that I am pregnant with twins, so I've not been in your situation, but if I had gotten pregnant with more than 2 babies I would've absolutely chosen SR. 

I feel like not a lot of people are willing to come out and admit that openly, but I was sure of it going into my IVF cycle and now that I'm 32 weeks pregnant with my twins I am absolutely positive that my body never would've held up to a higher order multiple pregnancy. 

Anyway, this may not be well received, but I just wanted to let you know that there are those of us out there that would've chosen to reduce, so you don't feel so alone or like you're a bad person if you decide that's what's best for you and your body and your family.

• Hi hon. First of all, congratulations. I know this is a terrifying time. I found out on Friday that we were expecting triplets after a SINGLE embryo transfer. Scared and stunned are still our two most prominent feelings, you're allowed to feel anything at all. Me RE has had the SR talk with me. I agree it's a very personal decision. For me, I support the drs wishes, but ultimately it's up to us. DH spent a day researching it and we decided we are going to wait to learn more about it until we are released to litle MFM in two weeks. The Internet  an be a scary and dark place to gather information sometimes, so we are just tabling that discussion for a later date. Plus, in our case our appt was early at 6w3d. How far along are you?

Congrats again, and welcome.  

4/13/12--1st u/s. IDENTICAL TRIPLETS (?!?) PAIF and SAIF welcome Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • thank you allison for your honesty.  i think it's easy for a lot of people to judge those that are in the situation, but until they r actually in it, they have no idea.  it's easy to say u would never do it when u dont know all of the facts.  we r still weighing our options, waiting to talk to a few more docs.  just scared to lose the entire pregnancy if we procede, but don't know how i could cope with making the decision.  we had a miscarriage on dec, so i know what it is like to lose one, but that one was out of my hands, u know? this would be different...

robin- i read ur post about the triplets yesterday! crazy!! but exciting.  according to LMP, i am 7 weeks today, though iui dates put me a few days further.  we have another u/s on the 26th, so we will see how they r all doing. 

• I have a very good friend who has quads (born the same day as my boys - that's how we met, in fact! you can see them in the ABC news story in my sig) and they were born big and healthy at 32 weeks. You can do it!
    How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • No one can fault you for going either direction.  It's your body, your children, your choice. 

In some situations, the decision is made for you if one or more stops developing.

Best of luck and no matter what happens .you are putting your children's best interest at heart.

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • I want to add, every single RE will suggest to reduce, every single one.. They do not like to see pregnancies over twins...their goal is 1 baby. One could say it looks bad in their stats when they get women pregnant with triplets or more.

Do not base your decisions on your RE's advice, they are there to get you pregnant, not advise or handle your pregnancy. That is what your MFM is for.

photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • I just PM'ed you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I, too, just wanted to say GL to you.  I can't imagine what you're going through.  We have had ladies choose SR here and the board was incredibly supportive.  GL to you hon.  We will be here if you need to vent.  Wishing you everything good.  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't have any advice but I just wanted to say good luck, ant T&P with you as you try to make this decision I have no idea how I could ever make.  Whichever way you go, best of luck for a healthy pregnancy!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We had just twins from the get-go so I haven't been in your shoes, but just wanted to say congrats and best of luck! I hope you and your H come to a decision you're at peace with.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • imagemummyofsix:

No quads here, but we were one of the few (apparently) who seriously considered SR, very very seriously. For weeks and weeks. I don't envy you, it was a horrible time in our lives waiting to make that decision and seeing what would happen. My RE did suggest SR, and I went to a MFM who also was very pro-SR (he performed them AND managed HOM pregnancies so I did feel like he was a good person to see). 

After a long time, endless hours of researching and reading personal experiences and making list after list, we decided not to. However, for me/us, it would not be a decision I would even think about if I was carrying quads, I would absolutely not risk it. Just being honest.... sorry.

I did post here a few times, and I had some lovely PMs from people who had BTDT and made the decision to reduce. As you can understand, its not something that some people are comfortable to talk about on the boards.

I wish you peace and a decision making process that is as painless and quick as possible.  

I agree - I don't think you'll find many people who will openly post on here "I had an SR and I'm glad I did." It's something that weighs on you (whether it ends up being the right decision or not) no matter what you do. If you decide not to and have complications you'll wonder "what if." If you decide to do it and have a perfect pregnancy you'll wonder what if. I would get other opinions before deciding. Get in touch with the MFM (high risk OB) that you'll end up seeing and talk to them. Talk to an OB. Talk to your RE. Make sure it's not just the "easy" way out, but that they really do have your best interests and health in mind and go from there.

I don't remember off hand, but did you say if they are identical/fraternal? That plays a roll too (as far as I know, if two babies are in the same sac you can't reduce one or the other, it'd have to be both), so that would play into this as well.

And I know it seems petty, but think about the monetary side of things. 1 baby = $$. 2 babies = $$$$. We were lucky to be stable enough financially to take the hit of having 3 babies at once, and had amazing family and friends who have given so much to us. Not everyone does. If it's between three babies who will be very well provided for, and 4 who will have to live without, that's something to consider as well.

~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I PM'ed you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Visit our blog at www.benandkarisjourneytoparenthood.blogspot.com
  • imagefantine31:

thank you allison for your honesty.  i think it's easy for a lot of people to judge those that are in the situation, but until they r actually in it, they have no idea.  it's easy to say u would never do it when u dont know all of the facts.  we r still weighing our options, waiting to talk to a few more docs.  just scared to lose the entire pregnancy if we procede, but don't know how i could cope with making the decision.  we had a miscarriage on dec, so i know what it is like to lose one, but that one was out of my hands, u know? this would be different...

robin- i read ur post about the triplets yesterday! crazy!! but exciting.  according to LMP, i am 7 weeks today, though iui dates put me a few days further.  we have another u/s on the 26th, so we will see how they r all doing. 

I know just how you feel about losing a prior pregnancy. I was almost through my first trimester when I lost my first baby and it was horrible. 

Good luck to you in whatever you decide. My husband and I played scenarios over and over in our heads prior to our IVF trying to decide what we would do if we ended up with more than 2 babies. In the end we didn't have to make the choice, but I am still 100% certain that I know what our decision would've been. Everyone is different, but to us the risk was just too high.

Again, good luck to you. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"