Pregnant after 35

FTMs over 40 and being induced??

I'm a First Time Mom and am 16 days away from my due date. So far everything has been picture perfect with this pregnancy. Baby and mommy are doing wonderfully. However, I'm being told by my OB that they will likely schedule an induction BEFORE my due date and not let me pass that 40 week mark because they say that there is a higher risk of fetal mortality if you go beyond 40 weeks at my 'advanced maternal age'. (ugh!)

Anyone else experience/told this?

I'm sort of hoping that my little guy will want out on his own but now I feel the time pressure as I really don't want to be induced. Induction usually leads to epidural which will mean I won't be able to labor and move around. Which can also lead to reduced fetal heart beat which can lead to C-Section.

I KNOW the most important thing is for baby and mommy to be healthy and my birth plan isn't critical. But I really don't like the idea of being induced.

Your experience and input appreciated!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: FTMs over 40 and being induced??

• I was going to comment that it sounds like bologna, but then I did a quick google search and it looks like some pretty new research (published in early 2011) does support that over 36 weeks and over 45 had the highest risks of stillborns, but over 40 moms also had pretty high numbers (https://www.scienceandsensibility.org/?p=1898).  That surprised me. 

I guess with that info, I would agree to an induction more likely at around my due date.  But since I'm a natural-birth-mom-type, you know I would be trying every wives-tale in the book if I was coming up on that due date without any signs that labor was coming. 

Good luck and I hope your little one decides to arrive before you have to worry about this.

Two boys already - ages 5 and 3...

...baby #3 is here...

• I went through this with my OB before my son was born last year.  I had a perfect(well to me anyway) pregnancy with no complications but my OB would not let me go past 40wks.  I was due July 1st and b/c of the holiday, he could not schedule my induction until July 5th which put me at 40wk4day.  My son was born by c-sec on July 7th after a failed induction.  I had a natural birth planned but my goal all along was a healthy baby and momma so I did what I thought was necessary to achieve that goal.  I wish it had gone the way I wanted but I am not unhappy with any of the decisions I made, even in hindsight.

I did research the same things you're OB told you and studies have shown that mothers over 40 have 3x the risk of fetal demise after 40wks gestation compared to women <35.  The study I saw did link it more to women over 40 with complicating factors like obesity, diabetes and high blood pressure though.  The pure risk is low but in our case, we tried for 3 years to get pregnant and I had a sister and sister in law who both experienced stillbirths so I wasn't really pressing that hard to wait it out until 41 wks. I did push hard though not to be induced early esp b/c I was not showing any signs of effacement/dilation at my last appt just before my due date.   I trusted my OB's opinion, however, and was and am happy with my decision.  I have a beautiful son that I am very grateful for! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • No, but I was 38 when I delivered my 1st. I will be 41 with this one. I have never heard of anything like this. I am going to ask my OB next visit. I would not like this idea as well. Good luck to you and I hope you go into labor on your own.
  • I'm 35 and my OB doesn't let her AMA's go past 40w regardless of age. Althought, I am arguing to try to make it through Memorial Day weekend. There is a more rapid rate of deterioration of the placenta after 35. Some will let you go to 41w, but it's rare to let you go past that.

Believe me, I looked into it. I'm a huge natural, med-free, intervention free soapboxer. After I read into it a bit, I realized that for this was one intervention it was better to err on the side of safety.

• I always push for a natural, med-free, intervention free birth also (like ffr said).  My doctor keeps trying to talk me into inducing at 39 weeks.  I keep turning him down.  He then said he will not let me go to 41 weeks and I said fine with me, but I really want baby to make her debut on her own.  (preferably soon ;-))

good luck to you and if there is a chance of putting baby at risk by not inducing then you should definitely check that out. 

Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker

• imageFyreFlyeRush:
    Believe me, I looked into it. I'm a huge natural, med-free, intervention free soapboxer. After I read into it a bit, I realized that for this was one intervention it was better to err on the side of safety.

I couldn't have said it better! The risks are real and not one that (if we make it that far) I am willing to take. I had a natural childbirth with my second but I was 38 back then and delivered at 40+1. With my first, I was only 34 and delivered at 42w. This time, there is no way I'll be comfortable going past 40w. 

ETA: have you looked into the natural ways to speed things along? Last time around, my midwives had me on evening primrose oil and I had an acupuncture session scheduled but went into labor and delivered the day before.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Was 40 having my first with other risk issues (clotting factors in my blood, auto immune issues). At no point was it suggested that I be induced early. One Perinatologist suggested I be induced on my due date, but the other two in my practice outvoted her and said at least a week after if I went that long. I was however being closely monitored with weekly non stress tests and ultrasounds for the last two months of my pregnancy. 

I ended up being induced a week after my due date passed, and giving birth 9 days after my due date to a perfect and healthy baby girl. 

• I haven't seen anything but OWTs. Evening primrose oil and pineapple core seem to be the most common. I can't say anything about EPO, but I craved pineapple and the core in the last Tri with dd. It didnt make me go into labor, but I didn't deliver late, either. In fact, I'm that 1% who delivered on their due date.

Sex and nipple stimulation can trigger contractions, but that might just out you into pain, and not labor. I've also read castor oil can help ripen the cervix.  

The only thing I've read to be effective is stripping membranes. Even then, it will only work of your body is good and ready.  

• I think a lot depends on the OB.

I had my 1st at 38 and was induced ON my actual due date. My OB would not let me go past 40wk, even though I had a textbook pregnancy, no complications, etc. The induction failed and I delivered via c-section because the baby's cord was wrapped around his (giant, as we found out) head. C/s was the best route, as it turned out, though it was not in my mental vision. I knew nothing about c/s delivery when we were admitted, so imagine my surprise, and initial disappointment. I did give birth to a healthy baby boy though, and that's what matters. As I learned, it's not the means, it's the outcome that matters.

Good luck avoiding induction. Honestly, it's no fun. Well, maybe if it actually works, it's fun. :) Sure, you'd get through it, but I wouldn't recommend it if it can be avoided. But, whatever happens, happens.

• Thanks so much ladies! I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and research. Things are starting to move so perhaps my little one will do his thing before next week. I'll know where I stand Friday when they check to see if I'm progressing. Fingers crossed!
  • I would question that....I'm 42 this Sunday and my due date was yesterday- but LO has decided he likes the womb- my OB won't induce til 42 weeks- and I've been blessed with a great pregnancy- still working out and everything. Hopefully your LO comes before they induce- But- FYI- my DOula told me yesteray- If I go to 42wks/induction- they can give me the Pitocin/IV then take me off the pitocin so I can still have my natural birth plan- water tub/hypno birth. Just because they induce does not mean you have to have epidural, etc...

Good Luck- maybe LO will hear all the induction talk and decide to show up on his terms before all that :) 

• It's official. If I don't go into labor in the next two days, I am being admitted to the hospital Sunday to begin the induction process. Unfortunately I have not progressed at all. My doctor says that is not uncommon for FTMs. My doctor warned me that this induction process could take DAYS before I give birth. (Really!?!?)  I'm getting nervous because there's so much I still want to do before the big event but at least we have a day drawn in the sand.

Can't believe that this time next week I'll be holding our baby!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"