2nd Trimester

Anyone with low iron?

I am now on iron supplements because my hemoglobin was 11.  Anyone else?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone with low iron?

• I had to last pregnancy. I kind of suspect that the same thing may happen again with this pregnancy. Make sure to eat plenty of good fiber to keep you regular! The iron supplements can constipate you.

• My iron was a little bit low when they tested it. Just barely, (I think they said it was supposed to be 35 or higher and mine was 34). I'm taking an iron supplement now just to ensure it doesn't get lower.

Make sure you get enough Vitamin C! Vitamin C helps with iron absorption. 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah I am anemic and my doctor gave me prescription for iron pills. But somehow, the last time I went to the pharmacy, the pharmacist wouldn't give me the iron pills because she said I can get them OTC. So I just agreed and didn't make a fuss, but now that I think about, being anemic probably requires a certain dosage of iron and what if the OTC doesn't cover that? Annoying. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My dr. told me at 14 weeks that I was anemic. I was last time too, so I was expecting it.  I had been eating iron-rich foods (spinach, apricots, etc.) but I guess it wasn't enough. Does anyone else experience nausea after taking their iron supplement?  It's about to drive me crazy!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;</style>
  • I have genetic anemia (beta thalassemia trait) but my doctor wants me to take iron  supplements, even though they rarely make any difference with my type of anemia.  Since I'm skeptical my doctor recommended Floradix which is a liquid supplement - it does not constipate and is supposed to absorb better than the pills.  Its kind of expensive, but worth it if it helps.

I'm also trying to eat iron-rich foods but its been a challenge with m/s.  Finally starting to move on so hopefully will get in more spinach, etc. soon.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagemommy510:
    My dr. told me at 14 weeks that I was anemic. I was last time too, so I was expecting it.  I had been eating iron-rich foods (spinach, apricots, etc.) but I guess it wasn't enough. Does anyone else experience nausea after taking their iron supplement?  It's about to drive me crazy!

yes to the nausea....but didn't connect the two.  Now that you say it, that must be what is causing it.  Thought was taking a trip back to first tri, but must be the iron.  Yuck to the nausea, but makes me feel better to have it connected with something that to keep wondering if I was coming down with the stomach bug.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i have had low iron with my first pregnancy and i have it with this pregnancy. I can't take supplement bcuz im allergic to some of the ingredients that are in the supplements so im having to just take prenatal vitamins. My iron stays around 7-9.
    Mommyof2
  • imageabbyful:

My iron was a little bit low when they tested it. Just barely, (I think they said it was supposed to be 35 or higher and mine was 34). I'm taking an iron supplement now just to ensure it doesn't get lower.

Make sure you get enough Vitamin C! Vitamin C helps with iron absorption. 

Yes

~Those who do not believe in love at first sight have obviously never given birth~ <a href="http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j380/Caitlyn_Blake/?action=view
  • I posted about this a few days ago...found out I had low iron after the GD test.  I've been totally wiped out, mentally and physically so this explains it.  Hoping the supplements start to kick in soon...and I'm forcing myself to eat more red meat.  Was already eating a lot of spinach, iron-enriched foods, kale, etc, but apparently the vegetarian sources of iron just aren't as digestible.
  • I have a drs appt Monday which I plan to ask this question... How many mg a day are recommended (or iron)? I realize most of you say you are taking supplements 

BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Yes.  I was bad about taking my supplement with DS and was very close to needing a blood transfusion after delivery - so make sure you take your iron!

I take a slow release pill (Slow Fe?) and it's easier on the stomach.  Doctor okayed it.  I still take it with a large meal otherwise iron makes me nauseous. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm going to start taking extra iron. My hemoglobin was 10.5 and the other measurement was 31.9. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TFAS-June 2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"