2nd Trimester

Not wanting to start a debate...

... but I'm not entirely sure that won't happen anyway. But I wanted to share because i think it is really interesting. Hopeful a sh** storm doesn't follow.

So I have a friend from high school who is very all natural. She cooks organically, grows her own veggies, does home births, doesn't vaccinate and does not believe in western medicine unless it is absolutley necissary. To each her own. She has a beautiful family.

Her 2 year old, second youngest of five, started showing some weird neurological symptoms. First his hand was shaking, the next day, his body was shaking, and then finally his gait was off balanced and he couldn't even walk. They took him to the emergency room, after a chest xray, head ct, mri of the brain, and lumbar puncture, they have ruled out any brain abnormalities. Apparently what happened was the father had a very mild case of shingles that he did not get treated for and the child got the chicken pox virus. It did not manifest the way it normally would with skin lesions(as far as i know), but it attacked his cerebellum in his brain. The doctors think the virus is no longer active but the symptoms may get worse before they get better. The cdc recommends the vpd-vac starting in children age 12months-15 months then again at age 4-6 years. I really feel for this family. I think they thought they were doing what is best for their children, their reason for not vac was bc of fear of autism. Hopefully there are no long term affects for this child and his other 4 siblings won't be affected as well. It will be interesting to see if their outlook changes after this. I can only imagine watching your 2 year old go through sedation and needle sticks. It must have been horrible for them.

Ok so I tried really hard to present the facts and not be disrespectful. I will say that I will be vaccinating my kids, on time, per cdc recommendations because it is what is right for MY family.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Not wanting to start a debate...

• I feel like you can be damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I will pay much more attention to the shots this baby gets and I will not allow more than a couple of shots at a time.

My son had 4 shots done when he started kindergarten and his symptoms scared the poo out of me. He was not himself for weeks. Never again!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • if the only reason they didn't vax was because of fears of autism then they are sorely uneducated as there is NO link between the two. 

we will vax and likely on schedule, I don't have much tolerance for those that don't as they put other kids at risk that are too young for their vaccinations.  I don't want to share a waiting room at a ped's office with a kid that might be harboring whooping cough. 

I was reading about someone that had a 4 y/o that had NEVER seen a doctor and was trying to find natural ways to fix his UTI.  Indifferent  She did find a doc to see him though fortunately, but I think some offices would hotline you if you got no medical care for your kid. 

Gretchen Evie, born 7/8/2012 at 35w5d
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It's interesting that you brought this up; I was just listening today on NPR about the news in Autism Awareness, that they now expect that 1/88 children will be diagnosed with Autism. The argument that vaccinations actually cause Autism has been largely debunked.

But, that being said, I can completely understand a persons hesitation to trust western medicine and the desire to go natural. It's hard to put that much trust in someone else, when you never have all the facts. Going natural, you have the control.

I will vaccinate my daughter, because from what I understand from the literature out there, it is the best step. But again, I see how someone else can feel differently, and I think that's fine. There's nothing out there that says that the natural way of living does not do a person good, there's no evidence that it lessens illnesses or whatnot, so it's hard to speak against it. Logically, anyway. :p

But I have to ask, why are you telling us this story of your friend? To open a dialogue on the subject?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As a research scientist who has been involved in autism research, I implore all parents to get educated about the facts.  Sadly one study that has proven to have been falsified still has parents afraid to vaccinate their children.  I will definitely vaccinate.  PLEASE educate yourself if you have any reservations about vaccinating.  Autism is linked to genetics as well as environmental factors that are not linked to childhood vaccinations.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I always find it interesting that people shun western medicine until they are actually sick.  I guess there just isnt a natural MRI out there...

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• Well if Jenny McCarthy says vaccinations are not good for our children then it must be true.

Never mind what the medical experts recommend. Neither should we consider what scientific evidence inidcates are the realtive risks of vaccinating versus complications associated with the preventable communicable disease itself.

FYI to all parents electing to not vaccinate their children: incidence of measels and pertussis is on the rise precisely because of parents electing to not vaccinate.  If you are not familiar with these illnesses it is precisely because of vaccine campains that had, at one time, reduced the prevalence of preventable communicable disease to near zero in the US.  Oh, but you may become famiiar as will many of us...because the incidence in the US is on the rise.  So thanks to those who have willingly contributed to what is possibly the biggest public health debacle in history....that oh, by the way was completely preventable to begin with.

Perhaps I shouldn't sound so snippy.  But this is a matter of life and death.  We debate bumpers in the crib.  Why not this? 

• The thing that bothers me is that if they had truly done their research, they wouldnt have made that decision. As a pp mentioned, the link between vaccinations and autism has been debunked. When you consider the diseases that you could be exposing your children to and what those diseases could do to your children, you really need to have solid research backing you up as to why that's a better alternative.

As I dont believe forgoing vaccinations is a better alternative, my children have been vaccinated according to the schedule set out by public health.

• We vaccinated on schedule for DS and have no reason to not do it with #2. Risking getting illnesses that have been all but erradicated after a vaccine was created is just not something I'm interested in.

ETA: I rarely do the flu shot (DS got one this year and I meant to get one but forgot) and I'll be getting the DTAP (TDAP? I can't remember) after baby is here. I'm working on getting H to get one as well as the flu shot next year when baby is here but I might have to bribe him with something to do it as he's terrified of needles.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    TTC Baby #2 - BFP on 12/14/11 @ 10DPO - CP confirmed 12/18/11
    BFP #2 on 1/13/12
  • imageSHeins:

The thing that bothers me is that if they had truly done their research, they wouldnt have made that decision. As a pp mentioned, the link between vaccinations and autism has been debunked. When you consider the diseases that you could be exposing your children to and what those diseases could do to your children, you really need to have solid research backing you up as to why that's a better alternative.

As I dont believe forgoing vaccinations is a better alternative, my children have been vaccinated according to the schedule set out by public health.

This. By now, everyone who reads the news at all should realize the study that linked vaccines and autism was a lie. I think it's entirely irresponsible not to vaccinate. DS is vaccinated on schedule, as te next child will be. People need to consider that vaccines have prevented enormous instances of illness and loss of life.

• You can question western medicine without putting your family in danger.  I didn't want my DS to have more than 2 shots given at a time so we spaced them out by a month.  We are also putting off the chicken pox vaccine until he's in school or daycare and do not use the flu vaccine.  Everybody has different views on what is best for their family but I do think it's a social responsibility to get specific vaccines (my personal opinion for my family). 

I am, however, glad that they took their son in for immediate attention when they noticed a problem instead of trying natural remedies for something that could have gotten much worst.

• It bothers me that not vaxing is getting lumped in with other natural or "crunchy" choices. There are real, proven benefits to organic food and natural birth. There is no medical or scientific reason not to vaccinate. 

Daughter born at 34 weeks due to PPROM, July 2012

Expecting baby #2, May 8, 2015

May 2015 signature challenge for January: "You had ONE job!"

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• imagepugznploons:

if the only reason they didn't vax was because of fears of autism then they are sorely uneducated as there is NO link between the two

we will vax and likely on schedule, I don't have much tolerance for those that don't as they put other kids at risk that are too young for their vaccinations.  I don't want to share a waiting room at a ped's office with a kid that might be harboring whooping cough. 

I was reading about someone that had a 4 y/o that had NEVER seen a doctor and was trying to find natural ways to fix his UTI.  Indifferent  She did find a doc to see him though fortunately, but I think some offices would hotline you if you got no medical care for your kid. 

This.  The only reason people think there is a link between the two is because children diagnosed with autism are the age where they had just gotten their vaccinations.  It is absolutely untrue.  You are born with autism.  You cannot just "get it".

• imagerels09:

It bothers me that not vaxing is getting lumped in with other natural or "crunchy" choices. There are real, proven benefits to organic food and natural birth. There is no medical or scientific reason not to vaccinate. 

Exactly!

• I'm still not sure about my stance on vaccinations because I haven't done a lot of research.  I had one friend who was completely against it at the start, but her baby got ill and had to go in and get a shot of antibiotics.  She told me she held him and cried with him while he got the shot.  Later, he was found to be autistic and I don't know how this affected her decision to continue with vaccinations.  That is, what schedule she used and shots she may have declined.

Another friend of mine has a daughter who she claims regressed in behavior after receiving a series of vaccinations at one appointment.  She says she'd told the babies father to stagger the shots but instead he had them given at one appointment and shortly afterwards the child stopped talking.  I also know that she was not the primary caretaker at this time and the husband isn't the most "reliable" person, so it's likely that her little girl may have experienced some other sort of trama that possibly caused the changes in her behavior.

I certainly am not of the opinion that they are all bad,  but I'm also aware that pharmaceuticals are big business and there are more recommended vaccinations today than there were when I was a kid.  What the reasons for that are, I'm uncertain and it's something I'd like to learn more about. 

I also realize that different people react differently to things.  I've only received the flu shot once and was sicker that year more than I'd ever been.  I've not gotten one since and have been fine with a healthy diet, exercise and adding immune boosting foods to my diet whenever something is going around, which along with frequently washing my hands and wiping down common shared surfaces has helped me to either avoid the illness or recover quicker.  While I believe that diet and exercise are the primary key to good health, I don't believe that alone is always the best remedy.

• My children are vaccinated on time. I do know there are some issues if you do vaccinated and lots of issues if you don't. I didn't have DS vaccinated against chickenpox yet, he's 2 ?. If he does not get the chickenpox before age 5 I will be vaccinating him against it. It sounds like a very rare case of chickenpox that your friend's child was hit with. 

I think taking natural medicine too far is becoming more common. And that UTI thing, uh, no, that person is neglecting their child.

My MIL is one to stress natural medicine TOO FAR. To the point she's taking my FIL off of blood pressure medicine to be put on some green coffee natural supplement. She also is trying to convince me to find something natural to fix my hypothyroid?idiot?. 

• We'll be vaccinating our children, but are entertaining the idea of the modified vacc schedule.  Instead of getting 4 shots at one visit, we'll get two at the first visit and then schedule the other 2 for an appointment two weeks later. More than two shots of any kind at the same time stressful and mentally traumatic enough for an adult!
    TTC: 23Dec11 LMP: 25Dec11 BFP: 23Jan11 EDD: 01Oct12 Pregnancy Ticker imageAnniversary
  • "Going natural, you have the control." No. PP, we actually agree on this issue, and the way you've outlined the antivax logic is really striking, but the problem is that "going natural" actually takes away any ability to control whether or not your kid gets sick. "Natural" in regard to not vaccinating for infectious deseases was the only option for most of human history (and still is in many parts of the world) and it does not put you in control but rather reduces you to being completely powerless in the face of epidemic diseases (like the plagues that ravaged most of human society every few years once we started to live in cities). I find it kind of overwhelming that there are people who think not vaccinating puts them in "control" but I guess this logic has a certain appeal. Sorry, rant over. I just couldn't help it. 
  • I don't believe in using lots of medicine either but I think vaccines are important my children have not had any negative side affects from them but certainly if you don't vaccinate you have the possiblity of having some serious issues.
    May you always have in your arms the one who is in your heart.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

pregnancybr>

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • To the mother's defense (I don't know if she's against ALL vaccines, or picking/choosing which ones for her children to get), that is not a normal case of the chicken-pox, it's an exception that it would manifest that way.

I think vaccines are important, and my child will get fully vaccinated, but we will be delaying certain ones.  We will probably delay Hep A & Hep B for a few years.

I also don't want my child to get a bunch of shots in one visit, I'd rather pay out-of-pocket for an additional office visit a couple weeks later and spread out shots more. (My dogs' vet won't even give more than 2 vaccines per visit because he says it can overload their system and if they have a reaction it's harder to pin-point which vaccine was the culprit. There are also certain vaccines he does as the only vaccine per visit because they have a higher reaction risk, or if the animal has previously had a reaction to a similar vaccine.)

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageBaileigh05:
    As a research scientist who has been involved in autism research, I implore all parents to get educated about the facts.  Sadly one study that has proven to have been falsified still has parents afraid to vaccinate their children.  I will definitely vaccinate.  PLEASE educate yourself if you have any reservations about vaccinating.  Autism is linked to genetics as well as environmental factors that are not linked to childhood vaccinations.

What environmental factors contribute to Autisim?

<3 
  • imagepugznploons:

if the only reason they didn't vax was because of fears of autism then they are sorely uneducated as there is NO link between the two. 

This just made me incredibly sad.

WEBONLY_NOPRINT_DSC_1509-2-2236294072-O
    DS #1 Born: 10/03/06, DS #2 Born: 08/06/12 My Cooking Blog
  • I'm pretty sure people who lived even 100 years ago would have LOVED to have access to the vaccines we do today instead suffering through all the horrible illnesses that were around.

In all likelihood, a child who is not vaccinated these days will not catch the majority of these diseases but that is because the MAJORITY of others ARE vaccinated.

It's pretty easy to take for granted how vaccines have helped our society since our generation has not seen what the world was like 100-200 years ago.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • If anyone is looking for the vaccination schedule as part of their research to see exactly when and what vaccines are given, go to the CDC website. They have Printable vaccine schedules for ages birth to 18.
  • I vaxed all my kids on time.. thats for the record.  If someone feels this is not for them thats their choice, their decision. HOWEVER< dont put your un vaxed kids in my childs k class or pre k or any class.  It puts everyone at risk  

and as one PP said the link btw autism and vax has largely been nullified and debunked.

just saying..

( thanks for bringing this up,i think its very very important!)

Joyce

Normal 0 0 1 10 59 1 1 72 11.1539 0 0 0

https://tinyurl.com/cht7ppn

joyce@mazelabs.com www.mazecordblood.com
  • My son is partially vaccinated and I plan to do something similar with this baby. I did a crap load of research about it before making my decisions and ultimately feel that it is MY job (not the governments to decide what is best for my child. My son has had vaccinations for illnesses that are likely to be serious. When making my decision I looked at several factors. 1. What was the disease, and what were the potential/likely complications. I factored in the severity of the illness, likely treatment. 2. What is my son's risk of getting the disease? 3.) What are the potential complications of the vaccine (typically things like a potential allergic reaction and finally 4. How long has this vaccine existed? The last one was particularly important to me. It is not uncommon for a vaccine to be approved, and used, and then recalled. The longer a vaccine has been in use, the less likely this is to happen, and the more likely that any potential concerns about long term effects have already been uncovered.

At this point my son has the MMR vaccine, the T Dap (which includes pertussis), polio and a few others. We have elected not to get the flu vaccines, the vaccine that protects a not fun intestinal illness, the Hep B, and we have postponed the vaccine for chickenpox until he reaches school age.  There are a few we would re consider giving him if circumstances changed. The funny thing is, I've called advice lines twice and when asked about his vaccination status I'll list what he's received. Both times the nurse has said, "okay, so he's basically vaccinated."

My decision to only partially vaccinate was not based on sensationalism or Jenny McCarthy's book. (I actually have not read it) It has nothing to do with Autism. It has everything to do with believing that I am the right person to make medical decisions for my son, based on his health and our situation, not the government. And I admit that it bothers me when people insinuate that unless everyone follows the CDC's recommendations to the T they're not a good parent. (Because the government has never been wrong about anything ever!) If you want to follow the recommendations, I totally respect that decision and believe that you're making the best decision you can, for your baby. I just wish other opinions were given the same respect. Sorry this is so long. It's a pet peeve of mine.

• imageBrooklynMommy83:

imageBaileigh05:
    As a research scientist who has been involved in autism research, I implore all parents to get educated about the facts.  Sadly one study that has proven to have been falsified still has parents afraid to vaccinate their children.  I will definitely vaccinate.  PLEASE educate yourself if you have any reservations about vaccinating.  Autism is linked to genetics as well as environmental factors that are not linked to childhood vaccinations.

What environmental factors contribute to Autisim?

Currently, as far as I know, there's no knowledge to exactly what causes autism. There are things that correlation, but correlation doesn't equal causation. 

There is a correlation between Vitamin D deficiency and autism. Though it's unknown if the deficiency may play a role in causing autism, or if other factors of autism negatively affect Vitamin D absorption. (And most Americans are deficient in Vitamin D.)

Other things I've seen in recent years that they claimed correlation with autism rates: dog flea/tick shampoo used by the mother to wash pets during pregnancy, laminate flooring, and just recently the mother being overweight/obese. Again, these are just some of the things researchers have suggested correlation for, there seems to be a new one every month, and I'm not saying they cause autism or that they were even good studies.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker

• Ugh, please get you children the chicken pox vacc. It is a dangerous illiness that is taken too lightly.

My sister died because of chicken pox. She had a lot of the same symtoms as the boy in the OP.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • When I was in college for biotech there were two students there that had to get all their vaccinations done before they could continue with the program because of what we would be handling.  I was glad I didn't have to go through that.  

Some careers require you to have all vaccinations up to date, I would rather not get them all as an adult before I could continue with my ambitions. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicPhotobucket
  • We will be vaccinating.  I don't want to put my child at risk for whooping cough, etc. that has been becoming more frequent as people are foregoing vaccines.  I don't believe that autism is caused by vaccines. I will likely research more as time goes on and review with the pediatrician the vaccine schedule, it does sound like spacing the vaccines out a bit is a good idea (two at once instead of four, etc.) even if only to be able to tell which has caused a reaction if there is one.  I don't have further comment on this though as I haven't looked into it yet.  (This is our first pregnancy and I'm still in early 2nd tri, don't have a pediatrician yet.)

I don't do flu shot, I had a bad neurological reaction to it (not from an egg allergy) and have also now found out that one or two others in my family have had reactions as well.

I do plan to seriously research and consider the chicken pox vaccine before giving it to my child.   I am not sure about this one...I mean, it didn't exist when I was young, I had a pretty severe case of the chicken pox in grade school, my friends all had it, and we all turned out just fine after two weeks or so of itching.  This doesn't seem like one of those illnesses that is life threatening or causes permanent harm except in extremely rare, unusual cases. (As I said before though, I will be looking into things further, things may have changed in the 20 years since I had it...)

What I don't like about current modern medicine is the trend of giving antibiotics for every little thing, and sometimes starting out with a higher dose than necessary, or prescribing unnecessarily!  You can develop a resistance to these things working, folks.   I went to the doctor once because I thought I may be getting a sinus infection. The doctor seriously told me that I didn't need an antibiotic because it wasn't actually an infection (this time...my sinuses are seriously awful)  so it wouldn't do anything, but he'd give me one if it made me feel better!  No thank you!!

Love 06/2005 | Marriage 05/28/2011 | Baby! Peanut born on his due date, 9/30/12 Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagechristyhal:

What I don't like about current modern medicine is the trend of giving antibiotics for every little thing, and sometimes starting out with a higher dose than necessary, or prescribing unnecessarily!  You can develop a resistance to these things working, folks.   I went to the doctor once because I thought I may be getting a sinus infection. The doctor seriously told me that I didn't need an antibiotic because it wasn't actually an infection (this time...my sinuses are seriously awful)  so it wouldn't do anything, but he'd give me one if it made me feel better!  No thank you!!

I agree about giving antibiotics too often. However, my understanding of it is that it's better to start off with too strong of a dose than to weak. The resistance happens because the antibiotic doesn't kill off the entire bacteria and the strongest then reproduce, creating a more powerful infection than originally occurred. So giving a strong does originally (when the antibiotic is actually needed) kills off the greatest amount and makes resistance less likely. Others can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. 

• imagechristyhal:

I had a similar experience. I had Pityriasis Rosea (it's a rash), which just has to run its course. The doctor told me that there was nothing to do for it, but he would write me a prescription for prednisone anyway just in case I wanted to take them.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker

• imageMsbean22:

I will vaccinate my daughter, because from what I understand from the literature out there, it is the best step. But again, I see how someone else can feel differently, and I think that's fine. There's nothing out there that says that the natural way of living does not do a person good, there's no evidence that it lessens illnesses or whatnot, so it's hard to speak against it. Logically, anyway. :p

Actually, part of the reason that world population has more than doubled in the last hundred years is because fewer people are dying of illnesses because they are vaccinated.  The other part of that, of course, is more efficient techniques for farming and food production.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageLadiebug710:
    I always find it interesting that people shun western medicine until they are actually sick.  I guess there just isnt a natural MRI out there...

Right? 

• I don't usually post on the 2nd tri board, but I find this discussion so interesting!  When I was around 12 weeks along, my boss's son got whooping cough.  She chose not to vaccinate because of whatever reason.  Not only did he have to miss school for 2 weeks, there were several other kids in his class who got it, not to mention the grandparents. 

I plan on vaccinating--to me there was never a question in my mind, but we do plan to space them out to 2 at a time.  Our pediatrician recommends doing them that way because he says it's better for the overall health of the baby.  I don't entirely agree with the comments about "I'm my child's only health advocate."  You pay to take your child to a doctor who spent a lot of time in school...why would you assume that you know more about topics such as these than he/she does?  I've been doing a lot of research on autism and the reason it scares me so much is because there just doesn't seem to be 1 (or 10 for that matter) specific thing that causes it.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• I am someone who had a reaction as a child to the MMR shot...I had a minor case of the mumps immediately after and I am STILL planning on vaccinating my LO. I will bet my mom never, ever second guessed her decision to get those vacs. The minor reaction I had was nothing compared to the potential damage that can be done when vaccines are not given. Do we remember a world when people were dropping left and right due to illness? No. We weren't there, but you can bet your booty that if there was a vaccine for cancer, we'd all be in line. Just like folks were years ago when vaccines were created for these other deadly illnesses.
  • imagechristyhal:

We will be vaccinating.  I don't want to put my child at risk for whooping cough, etc. that has been becoming more frequent as people are foregoing vaccines.  I don't believe that autism is caused by vaccines. I will likely research more as time goes on and review with the pediatrician the vaccine schedule, it does sound like spacing the vaccines out a bit is a good idea (two at once instead of four, etc.) even if only to be able to tell which has caused a reaction if there is one.  I don't have further comment on this though as I haven't looked into it yet.  (This is our first pregnancy and I'm still in early 2nd tri, don't have a pediatrician yet.)

I don't do flu shot, I had a bad neurological reaction to it (not from an egg allergy) and have also now found out that one or two others in my family have had reactions as well.

I do plan to seriously research and consider the chicken pox vaccine before giving it to my child.   I am not sure about this one...I mean, it didn't exist when I was young, I had a pretty severe case of the chicken pox in grade school, my friends all had it, and we all turned out just fine after two weeks or so of itching.  This doesn't seem like one of those illnesses that is life threatening or causes permanent harm except in extremely rare, unusual cases. (As I said before though, I will be looking into things further, things may have changed in the 20 years since I had it...)

My feelings too. I am 100% for vaccinating and will do so (just no more than 2 per month) but will be looking into when to have the Chicken Pox and Hep B  shot in a little more detail with our pediatrician. I'm originally from the UK, where they don't do these unless specifically requested or parent/child is in a high risk situation where they are more likely to catch a disease such as Hep B (passed through infected blood/bodily fluids containing blood - generally sexually or in baby case mom to babes). May put the Hep B one off until at least a few months after birth as I'm clear and already vaccinated.

On the antibiotic front I also totally agree - they are extremely important to treat infections and it's important we don't 'over-use' or build immunity to these. Sometimes these are dished out without too much consideration that they a) able to treat the bacteria the patient needs treating (lab work can easily highlight which antibiotic a pateint needs to treat a specific bacteria, def not a one pills fits all scenario) b) the correct and full dose is given to ensure the bacteria doesn't have a chance to build up a resistance to the antibiotic. Sorry for the rant..it's a weak spot for me because a doc once went all out prescribing me pretty strong antibiotics without ensuring they were the right ones and they wern't which caused a lot of troubles. Just unfortunate I didn't have a good dr I think.

• Part of the debate on immunizing stems from the fact that some people believe that early immunizations can be linked to autoimmune diseases later in life. The Tdap vaccine isn't a one time vacine for whooping cough. It fades and you have to get it again and again. I had the vacine as a child and still got whooping cough in high school at 17 years old. I was one of the only cases in my high school. I'm the case of the child that was immunized and still got a ton of stuff you aren't suposed to get. The kids I knew who were the healthiest when I was in school were the kids who grew up on farms, drank un-pasteurized milk, ate "real" food and played in the dirt. Those days are gone, unfortunately.

As far as OP's friend, it's their own choice. Lots of christian scientists refuse traditional western medicine. People who don't vaccinate are faced with the problem now of if they don't vaccinate they have these superviruses that their children have to fight off. I'm a fan of doing what you feel is best for your family.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• imageCountryWild84:

I feel like you can be damned if you do and damned if you don't.

agreed! 

we will be spacing out the vaccinations in order to keep an eye on any odd reactions. its a tough decision and i think that every family makes one that they feel has the childs best interest in mind

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"