Pre-School and Daycare

Giving medicine (crushed pill)

DD must take a crushed pill once a day for 6 weeks.  The pills are pretty big so there is a lot of 'powder' to incorporate.  I am not trying to hide the fact that she's getting medicine & she knows why she needs it.  THe problem is - she's won't take it.  She turns into a wild animal - screaming, kicking, spitting, crying, twisting, etc.  I am afraid that she is going to get hurt.  We've restrained her & we've held her nose.  Last night she vomited.  Here is what I've tried:

Mix it in ice cream with chocolate syrup (willing to try, but didn't like taste so after it melted I put it in a little pink medicine cup --> wild animal)

Mix it in applesauce (about 1.5T)

Mix it with orange juice in an oral syringe (3mL)

Mix it with chocolate milk in syringe (3mL) 

Does anyone have any advice that could help?  ANY advice would be appreciated :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Giving medicine (crushed pill)

• We put the crushed pill on a tablespoon and squirted chocolate syrup over it and just put the whole thing in her mouth.  It worked for DD.
  • Sounds like you are trying most of the good options. I would stick with dissolving the crushed pill in water or apple juice and then use a syringe. Shoot the liquid in in the side of her mouth at the corner. They are less likely to gag or spit it out that way. My DD has taken a liquid medicine twice a day since she was 5 weeks old.  She has to get a precise dose.  We definitely have had our battle days and when she was a toddler for awhile we had to hold her down.  Luckily that was a for only short time.  Hopefully your DD will get used to it soon and it becomes just part of a normal routine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • When DD started having to take medicine, (she sometimes needs an inhaler) we had one of her favorite stuffed animals "take" it also. She got to practice giving it to her toy, and then she took it. It didn't completely take away the fight, but a little role-playing helped.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DD takes meds for ADHD and before she learned to swallow, we mixed it into a big spoonful of yogurt and then had a second plain spoonful ready to kill the taste.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • We tried the chocolate syrup - no wild animal but she still spit out every drop that she could.

I left a message with pedi & will talk with her tomorrow.  I will ask about compounding it.  The pedi said that it looked like scalp ringworm but did not seem 100% certain.  The pill that DD is taking is an antifungal.  Since DDs appointment last week, there have been a couple more lesions show up - so I am also going to ask for a dermatologist referral.

Thank you all for the advice. 

• I would ask the doctor if there's another form of the medication. Otherwise, idk. I would just keep trying to hide it in her food. Try putting half of the powder form in one thing then the other half in something else?? GL, let us know what works
  • Good news!  We got a new form of medicine - bubble gum flavored liquid.  It's even slightly pink - she thinks it's great.  After she took the first dose she asked for more!!  I hope the next 6 weeks go this smoothly.

Thank you, ladies, for your advice. 

• imageapril1bride:

Good news!  We got a new form of medicine - bubble gum flavored liquid.  It's even slightly pink - she thinks it's great.  After she took the first dose she asked for more!!  I hope the next 6 weeks go this smoothly.

Thank you, ladies, for your advice. 

That's great! i remember having to change DDs medication and it became much easier to give. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"