Pre-School and Daycare

preschool issues

so back in January I had a conference with my LO's teacher and she said she was doing great except for the fact that she tends to play by herself a lot.....I never had any of her other teachers say this in her previous classrooms (two's, toddlers). She had a tough time transitioning to the preschool room...more kids, older kids, completely new teachers. When I pick her up I notice that she is playing by herself but I also thought that her friends get picked up earlier than her so by the time I get there maybe she just doesn't know the kids that are left very well.  Anyway, on a few occasions my DH and I have witnessed the other little girls ignoring her or telling her she can't play with them...I was kind of surprised that this was starting so early! I dont' know if she's playing by herself b/c the girls are not being nice. She tends to play with boys when she does interact. Now she only goes to DC two days a week and those girls go 5 days so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I've never witnessed my LO acting that way but I have not idea what goes on during the day....I just feel bad for her b/c she was so excited to see them this morning and they blatantly ingnored her! Sorry this got long....the other thing is the teacher just sat there and didn't say a word to those girls...should she have corrected them?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: preschool issues

• I dont know if that's such a bad thing. Try talking to LO, she could just be a leader rather than a follower but I myself would think it has something to do with the other kids going to DC 5x and her just 2?? When other kids have told my LO she couldn't play with them, DH and I have told her to try and make friends with other kids. her dad has also told her to just do her own thing and let the other kids come to her.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Maybe her friendships ARE less developed with some of the other kids cuz your DD is only at school 2x per week and the other kids are together every day!

Can you try to arrange playdates with some of her classmates outside of school so she can feel more connected? 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My DD had a tough time transitioning from toddler to preschool.  It seemed as though the girls were already clique-y.  DD transferred to the preschool room in January.  Does your LO seem bothered or comment to you about being left out?  Perhaps she's not bothered by it.  I agree with a previous post about being a leader.  It sounds like she enjoys doing her own thing.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree, I don't think that you should really be that concerned.  Sometimes kids just like to play by themselves.  I also agree that you should talk to you LO about what to do if that happens.  You cannot tell other children what to do especially at that age, itmakes them want to do it more.  The teacher can talk to them about being nice and using nice words, but I would talk more to your LO about finding other friends to play with.  But again, some kids like to play by themselves, and it's not a bad thing.  If the teachers are not concerned, I wouldn't be too concerned with it either.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"