August 2012 Moms

Criticism on being pregnant through the summer

Okay ladies, I'm gonna rant a little because I've never done so on the bump. So every single time I tell someone my due date they cringe and go "Oh no, you're going to hate being pregnant in the summer." or "Girl, what were you thinking?" It's getting really frustrating. I understand what being pregnant through the summer entails, the good and the bad. I don't need anyone telling me how awful my summer is going to be because I chose to get pregnant when I did. I'd never take back conceiving when I did, and there's certainly nothing I'm going to do about it (I mean.. other than.. GASP... enjoy it!), so why do you feel the need to tell me how miserable I'm going to be? Honestly, I thought being pregnant in the summer would be nice. I can float around in a pool all day, (can I just say, I'm super excited about a wearing a maternity suit!) wear cute flowy dresses, sandals, and experience the wonders of air conditioning (who knew there were ways to combat the heat in the summer?). 

Anyway, tell me ladies, is anyone having similar thoughts or comments being thrown at them? How are you feeling about being pregnant in the summer?

Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Criticism on being pregnant through the summer

• OH yea. I've been getting this one far too often. I've just started replying with a forced smile and, "Well, I'd rather be pregnant in a sunhat and summer dress than in a frumpy sweater." And (depending on the source) maybe steal a quick glance at their top and finish off with another smile. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I agree with you. Everyone looks at me and says "you're going to be miserable". Thanks, as if I didn't already know that I'll be sweaty and obese with baby during the summer months. But living in the south it's sorta hard to avoid that anyways so I would never chance getting pregnant when we did.

It amazes me on a daily basis how when someone finds out I'm (anyone) is pregnant they have ALL the advice in the world...and most of it is usually comments like this topic.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • imagedanielle2583:

I agree with you. Everyone looks at me and says "you're going to be miserable". Thanks, as if I didn't already know that I'll be sweaty and obese with baby during the summer months. But living in the south it's sorta hard to avoid that anyways so I would never chance getting pregnant when we did.

It amazes me on a daily basis how when someone finds out I'm (anyone) is pregnant they have ALL the advice in the world...and most of it is usually comments like this topic.

This pretty much sums up my pregnancy. But I definitely rather be pregnant in the summer than winter. The bottom of my belly forever being cold. Having hot flashes and sweats in a thick sweater and having to wear boots and getting maternity coats. Nope...That is worse in my opnion but I definitely wouldnt change my edd. I am already stocked with my  sun hats, flowy dresses, flip flops and many visits to the pool. I call that a great pregnancy experience.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I get this once in a while, too. It's very annoying but like PP said, I would much rather be pregnant in the summer than winter. I live in MN and sidewalks can get very icy, at least in the summer I don't have to worry about falling and can go and take all the walks I want. Plus, hanging out in the pool and simply enjoying it all. I love being pregnant and feel so lucky, no matter what time of year. Hang in there with the comments!
  • imagemccafffa:
    OH yea. I've been getting this one far too often. I've just started replying with a forced smile and, "Well, I'd rather be pregnant in a sunhat and summer dress than in a frumpy sweater." And (depending on the source) maybe steal a quick glance at their top and finish off with another smile. 

Haha, Love it! I might just have to use this one.

• I get this almost every time someone asks and hears my due date. I'll live, we have window units that will keep me cool enough. My birthday is in February, DHs in January. Both of us grew up with indoor birthday parties that had many restrictions due to the weather. I'm happy that our LO will have the opportunity to romp around outside with friends for his or her birthday :)
  • I've had two august babies and a nov. baby (so still 6-7m pg in the summer) so whenever I hear a comment (which does happen) I always just say, This is my 3rd august baby and I've never had an issue with it.

I usually leave it at that and say it in a somewhat curt tone, and the conversation is typically done. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imagelady_tytah:
    imagedanielle2583:

I agree with you. Everyone looks at me and says "you're going to be miserable". Thanks, as if I didn't already know that I'll be sweaty and obese with baby during the summer months. But living in the south it's sorta hard to avoid that anyways so I would never chance getting pregnant when we did.

This pretty much sums up my pregnancy. But I definitely rather be pregnant in the summer than winter. The bottom of my belly forever being cold. Having hot flashes and sweats in a thick sweater and having to wear boots and getting maternity coats. Nope...That is worse in my opnion but I definitely wouldnt change my edd. I am already stocked with my  sun hats, flowy dresses, flip flops and many visits to the pool. I call that a great pregnancy experience.

I completely agree. A great pregnancy experience indeed.

• I always want to say, "Do you think I live outside? We have a/c mother effer, mind your own business."  I normally just say, yea I know.  ETA: Depending on the person I sometimes say "Well considering we had a loss the month before we conceived I'm just happy to have my baby at all."  I wouldn't say this to someone I know but I sure as hell say it to the nosy old bitties at the grocery store.  

DS was a November baby soo I was ku in the summer last time, I know the drill.

• I cannot tell you how many times I've heard this at work. I love being pregnant this time of year for these reasons too--plus I love hot weather. Nothing better than not having to bundle up and wearing loose dresses when I'm enormous.  I had my last LO the same time of year and didn't have any issues...that's what AC is for!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Nobody here in Florida has said that to me, but several friends from up north have mentioned this.  I have no idea why people feel compelled to point out the obvious, that it's hot in summer (duh) and that sometimes pregnancy can be uncomfortable (also duh).

I agree with a previous poster who said that I'd rather be pregnant in a sundress or in a pool than in the dead of winter. 

• We announced baby-on-the-way at the same time as news of our decision to move from PA to FL. By the horrified responses I received from friends, coworkers and family, you would swear that no woman in the history of the world has ever carried a baby during a FL summer. *face/palm*

Click HERE for my story...

Me (29) and DH (31) together since 2001, married since 2006.

12/13/11 BFP after 7 cycles TTC first child. 06/29/12 delivered stillborn son at 33 weeks.

09/04/12 BFP after first cycle TTC. Please be our take-home baby!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • yeah, i've had a few ppl comment on it when i say when i'm due, but thank goodness while it gets warm where i live, we dont' have a lot of humidity like other parts of the country.  I can handle 100 degrees if it isn't super sticky too.

When it's brought up i just say, yep i know its going to be bad, but i'd rather be hot myself then deal with the heat rashes on a newborn, as is i should only have to deal with a few weeks of hot weather when the baby first comes.  ppl then leave it alone :-)

10/15/10 HPT+ 10/16/10 +blood test! missed m/c found at 17w, gone at aprox 14w., D&C
    4/26/11 HPT+ 4/28/11 +Blood test! HCG 67 5/24/11 Blighted Ovum.
    6/11-11/11 Non ovulatory cycles
    12/18/11 HPT+ 12/20/11 +Blood Test HCG 165 12/27/11 Beta test HCG 6411
    12/29/11 Beta 11264 1/30/11 Wiggler w/ HB 160+
    Grow Baby Grow!!!! Please be our rainbow!
    Rainbow Born 8/22, so in love with our little girl!
    Valentines
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker</a
  • Luckily I haven't heard this from anyone yet. I think it helps that we're far away from family and never talk to anyone, and we don't have friends who have had kids yet.

All I have to do this summer is lay on the couch next to an air conditioner. We have one in the living room/front of the apartment, one in the bedroom, and one in the back of the apartment. We are NEVER miserable in the summer. Plus, I'm fat to begin with, and summer hasn't killed me yet.

I also cannot walk on ice no matter what. When it was icy in 2010/2011 when I actually had things to do outside the home, it would take me 30 minutes to shuffle to the train station as opposed to 10 minutes walking slowly on a normal day. I just physically cannot walk on ice, which is why I am thankful for this past winter's lack of, uh, winter, and my lack of any reason to leave home during the first several weeks of pregnancy. I would absolutely rather be pregnant in the summer as opposed to the winter, but one thing I *love* is the notion that we can just pick and choose exactly when we get pregnant. That's always a fun one. Yeah, I completely chose it! I even picked my due date 3 years ahead of time!

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • DS was born in August and I heard it all the time then. Now when people find out I'm due in August again I hear "didn't you learn your lesson the first time?" Or "it's gonna suck being pregnant & chasing after a toddler during the summer". 

I always tell them I loved being due during the summer and WANTED  another summer baby. If everything works out the way we hope, I will have all our babies during the summer. 

I usually get a funny look but it shuts them up. :) 

DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • People do anything to be negative.sad. Do not let it get  you down. I think (and have always wanted) it will be so cool to be preg in summer! We can wear cute things that show off our belly's and be in the pool etc! i think its just splendid. I have g ot a few comments like that, i just brush it off. Nothing can take away the joy i feel !
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ugh, I hate when people tell me that. I just want to tell them, "You do realize I only have to be outside when I want to be, right?" I have thought about it though, and being pregnant in the summer just means that we get to be post-partum and get our bodies back to the way we want them before next bikini season, which for most is at least 8 or 9 months! I'd rather be post-baby and wear sweaters and jeans than swimsuits and skirts, just sayin'!
  • I've been getting this a lot too, especially since I walk a lot to and from work.  I have to constantly tell people that I did it on purpose.  I had my son in the spring and hated being pregnant through the winter.  I wasn't able to be very active because I lived in upstate NY and it was too damn cold.  I was huge and had to be bundled up, which just made me feel bigger.  I fell more than once from snow or ice and almost got into a few accidents from driving during the winter.  I can't wait to wear flip flops and sundresses, go in the pool or to the beach on a regular basis and be active throughout my entire pregnancy because the weather will allow it.
  • My favorite is..."omg you are going to be so swollen!!!!!"

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I get where they're coming from, but it won't be bad.  It's not like I'm going to be running a marathon in it.  I only had to deal with the heat for about a month with DS, but it wasn't bad at all.  I loved the sun - lifted my spirits.  And like you said - there's a/c and swimming pools. :)  

And I look at things in the long run - this baby can have outdoor birthday parties growing up, something I always wanted (and is much cheaper than renting out places). :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageTash13:
    I've been getting this a lot too, especially since I walk a lot to and from work.  I have to constantly tell people that I did it on purpose.  I had my son in the spring and hated being pregnant through the winter.  I wasn't able to be very active because I lived in upstate NY and it was too damn cold.  I was huge and had to be bundled up, which just made me feel bigger.  I fell more than once from snow or ice and almost got into a few accidents from driving during the winter.  I can't wait to wear flip flops and sundresses, go in the pool or to the beach on a regular basis and be active throughout my entire pregnancy because the weather will allow it.

upstate west, or upstate east? from the Adirondacks, myself! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • YES! This all of this exactly - I love the comment about any time of year is the perfect time of year to have a healthy baby! I will keep this in mind for the next person who comments about "how miserable" I am going to be.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • JKS21JKS21 member
    Yea it will be hot! BUT...we have air at home, air at work... whatever :) lol - everyone will be hot if it's an outdoor function, pregnant or not :)

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Tickerimage

• it doesn't bother me when people say this, it's not really criticism per se.  Summer sucks, it's hot and humid and last summer was off the charts here in the midwest.  I usually just respond "oh yeah I will crank the A/C and hit the pool!"  
    Gretchen Evie, born 7/8/2012 at 35w5d
  • Everyone keeps saying all of that stuff to me too. It doesn't bother me at all though, they are just trying to think of some conversation. I just smile and say that I intend to be inside with the air cranked up or in the pool. 
    "Too Blessed to be Stressed." BabyFetus Ticker
  • I got these comments very often when I was pregnant with DS (also born in August), although not so much this time.....guess they figure I already know I'm in for!  And, I might add you're absolutely right in your excitement about a summer pregnancy!  I love being pregnant in the summertime--it's perfect weather for sundresses, swimming and ice cream! Cool  If I were you, I'd just politely remind people who comment about the wonders of central air conditioning....lol!
  • Yes definitely hearing the same comments. It's annoying. Thats why I have AC lol
    IAmPregnant Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image
  • So many people comment about this to me and I just roll my eyes. All I want to do is shout "did you just move here?!' It doesn't get "hot" until September/October here and sometimes not at all, I think 2 summers ago the winter was warmer (significantly) than the summer. Southern California has pretty much consistently mild weather anywhere from 60-80 at any given month. Seasons don't make sense here. So, when I hear this I remind people that I am due beginning of August and it doesn't get that hot. Why do people care so much anyway???
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Summer is my favorite time of the year, and I get to wear cute clothes and show off my bump. Compared to when I was pregnant with my son and I was bundled up and looked like a rolly, polly, fatty from all the layers I had to wear! Plus LO being born in the summer means I won't be stuck in the house for a couple months because of freezing rain after she is born!
    ~Those who do not believe in love at first sight have obviously never given birth~ <a href="http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j380/Caitlyn_Blake/?action=view
  • imageMrs. Rohde:
    So many people comment about this to me and I just roll my eyes. All I want to do is shout "did you just move here?!' It doesn't get "hot" until September/October here and sometimes not at all, I think 2 summers ago the winter was warmer (significantly) than the summer. Southern California has pretty much consistently mild weather anywhere from 60-80 at any given month. Seasons don't make sense here. So, when I hear this I remind people that I am due beginning of August and it doesn't get that hot. Why do people care so much anyway???

Guess it depends on what part of So Cal you live in.  I grew up in Pasadena and Rancho Cucamonga and, let me tell you, it was hot.  I still don't think it's a problem being pregnant in the summer, no different than here, but July in San Bernardino isn't usually mild weather haha 

• imageawakenedoleander:

Okay ladies, I'm gonna rant a little because I've never done so on the bump. So every single time I tell someone my due date they cringe and go "Oh no, you're going to hate being pregnant in the summer." or "Girl, what were you thinking?" It's getting really frustrating. I understand what being pregnant through the summer entails, the good and the bad. I don't need anyone telling me how awful my summer is going to be because I chose to get pregnant when I did. I'd never take back conceiving when I did, and there's certainly nothing I'm going to do about it (I mean.. other than.. GASP... enjoy it!), so why do you feel the need to tell me how miserable I'm going to be? Honestly, I thought being pregnant in the summer would be nice. I can float around in a pool all day, (can I just say, I'm super excited about a wearing a maternity suit!) wear cute flowy dresses, sandals, and experience the wonders of air conditioning (who knew there were ways to combat the heat in the summer?). 

Anyway, tell me ladies, is anyone having similar thoughts or comments being thrown at them? How are you feeling about being pregnant in the summer?

My plans exactly!

• I agree!
  • I've gotten it only a couple times, but I'm a teacher, so summer is the BEST time to have a baby for me and people realize that.  I'll be off work when I'm at my biggest, get to lounge around at the beach and I don't have to spend a lot of $$ of work maternity clothes.  And the best part is, I'll actually get more than just the 12 week FMLA with LO since it won't kick in until I would have had to go back to work on August 27th. :)
  • imageScout2005:

I think any time of year is a great time of year to have a healthy baby.

And that is exactly what I would say to anyone who was stupid enough to offer me those kinds of comments. 

Amen, sister.  You are always the voice of reason.

I must live in a different world from many of the PPs because no one has said anything to me about having a summer baby and we live in AZ where the temp rarely goes below 90 from June to Sept.   

TTC since 3-08 IVF # 1 Dec 2011 BFP DD born at 31 weeks 6-24-12

FET #1 Dec 2013 BFN

FET # 2 Feb 2014 BFN

No more frosties

IVF #2. September 2014

PGD yielded 2 perfect 5d blasts

SET November 9, 2014
    Nov 23, 2014. Another BFN

Not sure where to go from here.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageMoFree:
    imageScout2005:

I think any time of year is a great time of year to have a healthy baby.

And that is exactly what I would say to anyone who was stupid enough to offer me those kinds of comments. 

Amen, sister.  You are always the voice of reason.

I love that too! 

• Oh my gosh I'm SO sick of hearing this too!  It seems to be the second thing out of anyone's mouth after "Congratulations".  I for one am extremely excited to be pregnant during the warmer months.  Also - it makes me mad that many of these people assume that this was the plan anyways.....most couples I know are just joyous about the pregnancy period, and don't 'plan' getting pregnant in a certain month. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"