3rd Trimester

2nd time moms - how many burp cloths?

I'm trying to figure out approximately how many burp cloths I need.  How many on average did you use in a day? Week? Any input would be very helpful! 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker

Re: 2nd time moms - how many burp cloths?

• Depends on the baby.  DS was an awful spitter-upper!  We went through close to 10 a day in addition to a couple bibs and 2-3 outfits.  Luckily, my mom gave us her HUGE stash of cloth prefold diapers from when my sisters and I were babies so we used those.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think that we had about 10 the first time around. At the beginning, we did laundry pretty much every day, so we didn't run out of clean ones. We used them for a lot though. You'd be surprised at how often they decide to pee as soon as you get the diaper off of them to change them. We always had a few next to the changing table just for that.
  • Loading the player...
  • LOTS of them.  We use more burp cloths than diapers because DD has reflux.  I've wound up using them for everything - the obvious, nursing, pumping, spoon feeding.  I have about 3 dozen and sometimes I'm rummaging in a laundry basket for a clean one not yet folded.  It's also helpful to have lots so you can keep them where you need them rather than trying to remember to carry one everywhere with you.  Nothing like settling in with a crying hungry baby and realizing the burp cloth is on the changing table in the nursery. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We had a few packages of cloth diapers as burp cloths just because they are cheaper, you tend to use them a lot, and they're getting spit up on.  So we didn't spend a ton of money on the cute ones.
  • In my opinion, you can't have too many.  We probably have about 25 and we went through several a day when DD was little.  She didn't spit up all that much but she was a messy breastfeeder.  Even though DD is 2 now, we still use them all the time for runny noses, etc.

BTW, cloth diapers make the best burp cloths.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Burp cloths are one of those items you really can't have enough of.  The more you have, the less laundry you need to worry about doing.  I think we went through maybe 9 or 10 a day... we would use a fresh one at every feeding.  Also, cloth diapers work great.  DH's aunt gave us a bunch and on each one she sewed a cute little ribbon, lace, etc. to customize it a bit.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Visit The Nest!
  • I have two dozen Thirsties prefold diapers to use as burp clothes. Don't waste your time on gerber prefolds or those terry cloth burp cloths you find, because they are not absorbent at all.

Once used, I throw it right into the wash, so I need one for each feeding and for possible burp ups and clean ups between for up to two days incase laundry gets slacked on. So I figure that to be right around 2 dozen, and that's generous so hopefully wouldn't run out and would have  few spare to keep packed in diaper bag at all times too.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I just used swaddling blankets that shrunk and were too small to swaddle DS.

I had 6 burp clothes but never used them.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I honestly never used them.

DS wasn't a big spitter-upper... and even when he did and got some on my shoulder it was the tiniest amount that it didn't matter or I grabbed a Kleenex. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • I bought a pack of prefold diapers, but really didn't use them with my first DD- BF babies are not usually the biggest spitters. 

That said, my second is a MESSY nurser and tends to spit out mouthfuls at the end of her nursing sessions.  LOL  So, they really have come in handy.

Someone gave me a pack of the fancy ones the first time around, but the prefolds work SO much better.  

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• My mil makes the best burp cloths so cute and since they are two layers of flannel they absorb a ton. I think we ended up with over 36 and I loved having a ton. I left them every where and used them for so much more than spit. I always made people put one over their shoulder before snugging ds so I didn't have to worry about what detergent they used ds was sensitive to some. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • imagemarleyc:

BTW, cloth diapers make the best burp cloths.

True.... Burp cloths are never as absorbent as cloth diapers. 

• I very quickly learned that you can never have enough burp cloths!  We went through several a day and I hate laundry, so we have a ton.
  • We have 20 (we use disposable Gerber diapers as our burp cloths) and I find myself doing laundry just about every day.
    TTC since November 2010
    BFP: March 22, 2011 M/C: April 8, 2011 @ 7 weeks
    BFP: June 29, 2011!!! Crossing my fingers for a sticky baby :)
    LO Born early March 2012 We are so blessed image
  • imagecswatch:
    Burp cloths are one of those items you really can't have enough of.  The more you have, the less laundry you need to worry about doing.  I think we went through maybe 9 or 10 a day... we would use a fresh one at every feeding.  Also, cloth diapers work great.  DH's aunt gave us a bunch and on each one she sewed a cute little ribbon, lace, etc. to customize it a bit.

Yes  Yep, you will use the crap out of them.  I had a GERD baby so we went through TONS.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"