Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Cradle cap

Does anyone have an suggestions on what to use for cradle cap. Looks like lo is starting to get it.

Re: Cradle cap

• I rub in baby Aquaphor then gently brush with a baby brush to lift the scales away. Wash the hair during bath time... Works great for me. 
    Livia Laurianne born 1.25.12 | 6 pounds, 11 ounces | 19 inches
  • DS had this last week. I combed most of it out (I say out because he has a TON of hair) with a baby comb, then put baby oil on his head, let it sit for 15 minutes, then combed the rest out. I got all of it this way. I just suggest that after you use baby oil (or any other greasy type substance), wash the hair twice. I only shampooed DS once after the baby oil and he was still a little greasy.

• Loading the player...
  • 3250732507 member
    My son was at the very beginning stages of cradle cap and his doctor said to put 1% hydrocortisone on his head for a week, which really helped.  She then said it's okay to use every once in a while when it flares up.  She also said that you can leave it on his head or just leave it on for an hour or two, then wash it out because it looks greasy. 
  • My MIL suggested to lather LO's hair up really well while in the bathtub then gently scrub with her baby brush, rinse well and apply a very tiny amt of baby oil to her scalp after the bath.  It worked REALLY well for us and LO enjoyed the extra attention to her scalp in the bath.....kinda like if you have ever had someone else wash your hair for you at the salon....I love that feeling so I can only imagine how much LO loved it as well! ;)

Good Luck!

Soon to be a family of three!
  • Head & Shoulders - just keep it out of his eyes.

Mom to DD#1 December '06, DD#2 Feb '09 and DS March '12
  • Mustela newborn hair foam, works really well! Its pricey but usually goes on sale at BRU. It worked the first time. Just foam on for 2 minutes and rinse. Craddle cap was gone the second time I used it.
  • imagecfarren:
    Mustela newborn hair foam, works really well! Its pricey but usually goes on sale at BRU. It worked the first time. Just foam on for 2 minutes and rinse. Craddle cap was gone the second time I used it.

Ditto

• Pedi recommended baby oil, so about 10 minutes before bathtime, I put some on DD's head.  Then washed it off with her regular baby shampoo during her bath.  Worked great!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We use coconut oil. It works great and he smells yummy! He had it a few weeks ago, we did the coco oil and combed it out and it went away. Then recently he's had a resurgeance on his eyebrows and we are doing it again. 

• My little guy was starting to get it too and he had gone bald quickly on the top of his head in the past week. I used olive oil. I worked in sections and small doses at first. Immediately I saw the dried sign clumping together. I took a wash cloth and in circular motion, softly scrubbed his head and SUCCESS! It was gross when it was coming off, but I got most of it. What a difference! Then I shampooed his hair. I would definitely try this!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"