Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Diaper rash HELP!!!

We've made it 11 months with a fresh, clean butt. A week and a half ago DD came down with roselo and now that that is gone we're dealing with a wicked diaper rash. I've tried destined, butt paste, lots of fresh air, warm bath with no soap and it's only getting worse!!!  Please help!  I'm open to all suggestions. I feel so bad her little bum is getting so red and raw :-( 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Diaper rash HELP!!!

• Are you sure it isn't a fungal infection?  LO has gotten only 2 diaper rashes since he was born and both times it was fungal.  We smeared a thin layer of antifungal on it and then covered that with a thick layer of butt paste.  After overnight, the next day it looked much better!  You might want to call the ped office for advice on whether to use antifungal or not.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We deal with diaper rash too often in my house... I have found if you put LO in a warm bath with a 1/4 cup of baking soda... less if LO is in a baby tub.... Helps SO much!  I do this once a day until the rash is gone. Then I let him run around without a diaper to air dry.  Also, get the Desitin Maximum strength (purple jar)  It has cod liver oil in it.... it smells a bit fishy... but it is the ONLY cream that works... I only use it when LOs tush is red or rashy... otherwise I use A&D... this cream is sticky and stinky... but it works!  Oh yeah... I don't use wipes... I wet soft wash clothes with warm water... if its just a pee pee diaper I won't wipe him at all... pee is sterile. 

Good Luck

~Married- 10.20.2007~ TTC Since- 4.3.2009 ~BFP#1- 8.25.2009 ~ Missed M/C and D&C-10.9.2009 ~BFP#2-8.12.2010 ~ EDD- 4.20.2011~ It
  • Loading the player...
  • DS just got over his first diaper rash. Wipe with warm water and soft washcloths. After its COMPLETELY dry, slather with a thick layer of cream (we use aquaphor- miracle stuff!). We also did the baking soda in the bath and an oatmeal bath. Good luck! Give him as much naked time as possible!

• imagegenekelly:
    Are you sure it isn't a fungal infection?  LO has gotten only 2 diaper rashes since he was born and both times it was fungal.  We smeared a thin layer of antifungal on it and then covered that with a thick layer of butt paste.  After overnight, the next day it looked much better!  You might want to call the ped office for advice on whether to use antifungal or not.

Hmm.  After further investigation it does sound like we might be facing a fungal infection. What type of antifungal cream did you use?

• imageKelsnEm:

imagegenekelly:
    Are you sure it isn't a fungal infection?  LO has gotten only 2 diaper rashes since he was born and both times it was fungal.  We smeared a thin layer of antifungal on it and then covered that with a thick layer of butt paste.  After overnight, the next day it looked much better!  You might want to call the ped office for advice on whether to use antifungal or not.

Hmm.  After further investigation it does sound like we might be facing a fungal infection. What type of antifungal cream did you use?

Try Lomotrin (stuff for athlete's foot) with triple paste on top.  If that still doesn't work (once we had one that was REALLY bad), blot on Maalox with a cotton ball with Lomotrin and then triple paste on top.  LO's rash was gone in 2 days.  Seriously. It was a miracle.

• If it's not fungal, then try a bit of aquaphor or A&D with some neosporin.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I read that a sign of fungal (yeast) rash is that the crevasses are red (but crack, leg cracks). Diaper rash is from chaffing.
  • If it's not fungal, we use Resinol (kind of expensive but worth every penny IMO) for anything that Desitin doesn't take care of. We can put that on LO's bottom & the next diaper change his bottom is a TON better!

Anniversary
  • Poor baby!! Coconut Oil= miracle. They sell it at wal-mart in the vitamin aisle. GL!

• I'd take her to the pedi. We use Burt's Bees diaper ointment and love it but I am not sure it will help.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We've used CALMOSEPTINE (OTC but usually have to ask the pharmacist).  It's active ingredients are menthol + zinc oxide.  There is immediate relief and great protection!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"