Preemies

Return to visit NICU?

Hi ladies,

Has anyone brought their former NICU resident back for a visit? We have to go to an appointment that will take us near the hospital where she was born. I'm contemplating taking her for a visit, since they have pictures in the nurses station of the graduates, I thought they might like a visit, but we were there last July/August, and they take care of so many babies, I doubt they would remember us.

I have a lot of qualms taking her to the hospital, in general, so I'm not sure whether I'm overthinking this or not. (Although there is an elevator bay/hallway that is used primarily for maternity/NICU, and we have to go to a hospital for her NICU follow-up appointment this month). I'm wondering if they would appreciate the visit, and if so, is this a good time, or perhaps I should wait until she is older?

Any thoughts?

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Re: Return to visit NICU?

• We visit all the time! :)
  • We visited a little while ago when we had to take him to the hospital for an appointment.  Our primary and I e-mail each other a lot and so I told her that we were thinking of coming in to visit when we had our appointment.  She ended up working that day and so did our two secondary nurses.  We visited for maybe half an hour total in the reception area of the NICU. 

I could call ahead and see if your NICU has any special rules about bringing back your baby to visit.

BPF May 12, 2013 :: EDD Janaury 22, 2013 :: MC Began On July 14, 2013 at 12W4D

Born at 34w2d:

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Our nurses love for us to visit!  They always get an updated picture as well.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Nope! No urge to return and I have his primaries/LC on FB so we're still in touch :)
  • We've taken C back two or three times since she came home a year ago.  Each time we ended up seeing her primary Dr. and most of our fave nurses.  They loved seeing her and hearing about all her progress!   
  • Our nurses keep telling us PLEASE bring him back to visit, because getting to see how the babies are doing when they're bigger is one of their greatest rewards. I don't know when we'll be up for that (he's still in th NICU and we're just so focused on getting him out!), but I'd like to someday.
    Julia ~ six miscarriages ~ our sweet miracle baby, Jack, due 5/3/12, was born at 29w1d on February 17, 2012, weighing 2 pounds 8 ounces Lilypie Premature Baby tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • we haven't yet since DS is in another hospital, but he was in the NICU so long that everyone got so attached to him. I definitely plan to bring him and DD back for visits to the NICU.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageJuliaJAG:
    Our nurses keep telling us PLEASE bring him back to visit, because getting to see how the babies are doing when they're bigger is one of their greatest rewards. I don't know when we'll be up for that (he's still in th NICU and we're just so focused on getting him out!), but I'd like to someday.

This exactly.  We've only been in 2 weeks and we have a long road ahead of us, but our nurses have already mentioned a few times how much they love it when people bring back their babies to visit.  I can't wait to get to the point where he's big enough and healthy enough to come back!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I brought DS back a few days before his first birthday which happened to be nurses' day. I brought them flowers and pics of DS. They were so excited to see him, because he was one of their favorites when he was there. Only sad thing is that 2 of his special nurses were off that day. I plan to take him there again but the hospital is a good 1/2 hr drive and I am now back at work.
  • We have only been out 2 and a half weeks, but we are going to go back over for a visit when we return to the hospital with him on Thursday for his repeat cranial ultrasound.  I am going to bring the ladies a coffee cake ring thingie from Panara, and probably bring the labor nurses something too (they are all on the same floor).  I do know that we can't go into the nicu because once babies are out they are considered "dirty babies" but we can at least see them in the waiting area! :)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"