Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Nighttime diaper change??

Do you always do a diaper change if your LO wakes up in the middle of the night?

My LO isn't STTN yet, he at least gets up once a night anywhere around 3-4 am.  I have always consciously just changed his diaper and then put him back to sleep.  I was just wondering if others automatically jdid a diaper change or if you just put your LO back to sleep.  I just wasn't sure if doing this is habit forming that maybe he is waking and expects that diaper change just as if he was waking to be comforted by the breast. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Nighttime diaper change??

• my LO sleeps through the night but on the rare occasion she wakes up, I don't do a diaper change..

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I FF, but DS was waking every night between 2-3 a.m. to be changed.  I started putting him in diapers one size larger at night, and he is STTN again.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO has been STTN for a long time.  But on the very rare occasion she wakes up, I may do a quick diaper change. 

In your case, I probably would. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When DS was regularly waking up through the night, getting a bottle, and going right back to bed, then yes I did change his diaper. I figured I was adding even more fluids so I might as well change it. He's mostly sleeping through the night now (or at least not waking up to eat) and I do not change it when he wakes up just fussing, wanting a paci, randomly crying, etc. I will always try and put him back to sleep with as little waking as possible. If, for some reason, he is being a stinker and not going right back to bed and just seems particularly irritable then I will change it. Usually by that point I'm caving and just fixing him a bottle anyway.
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • kas80kas80 member
    My LO still wakes up every 2-4 hours at night.  We never change her diaper unless she poops (not often) or it feels really poofy/full (also pretty rare).  All it does is wake her up fully which means I have to wake up fully so boo to that.
  • Sometimes DD wakes up around 11pm and I don't change her diaper then but if she wakes up around 3am then yes I change her diaper. Especially lately she has been drinking a ton so by 3am or so her diaper is really full.

• ya if he wakes to eat i will change his diaper while he is eating. i just figure why not probably feels good to have a dry diaper
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • I only change him if there's poop. Changing him will only wake him more. When he was being fed I'd change him first then feed him. Unless you're feeding your LO, I wouldn't change the diaper.

• My DD has pretty much always STTN, unless she had a wet diaper, then she would never fall back asleep unless I changed it. So I always did. If you had a wet diaper wouldn't you like a nice, dry, fresh one? I would change her and then nurse her for a few minutes and then lay her back in her crib. Once I decided to stop nursing her back to sleep in the middle of the night I would quickly get her out, change her and then lay her back in her crib. She would cry for a minute or two then be out like a light. 
  • I haven't changed his diaper at night in months. When ever he stopped pooping. He hasn't ever sttn, but I don't make myself work.
  • My DD always wakes up around 4 just to have her diaper changed. Maybe this was a bad thing to start but I'm hoping it will help when it comes time to potty train. 
  • I ff now, but ds was bf'd until 17 months and dd until 10 and we haven't done diaper changes at night since two or three months (and neither were sttn at that point)
  • imageBuffaloMomToBe:
    If you had a wet diaper wouldn't you like a nice, dry, fresh one?
    Well yeah... that's kind of easy to say when your LO goes right back to sleep after a couple of minutes. 
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • imagebiblionerd:
    imageBuffaloMomToBe:
    If you had a wet diaper wouldn't you like a nice, dry, fresh one?
    Well yeah... that's kind of easy to say when your LO goes right back to sleep after a couple of minutes. 

Well yeah....you're right. But if my DD wakes up from a wet diaper then I will change it for her, even if she didn't go right back to sleep. I don't think you are starting bad habits by changing your child's diaper, even if it is in the middle of the night. In my particular case my DD would not ever go back to sleep once she's woken and realized her diaper is wet, so I always had to change it.  Every child is different and you act accordingly.

• imagekas80:
    My LO still wakes up every 2-4 hours at night.  We never change her diaper unless she poops (not often) or it feels really poofy/full (also pretty rare).  All it does is wake her up fully which means I have to wake up fully so boo to that.

this exactly

• Nope and haven;t in months.  Once she could fit in overnight diapers we stopped.
  • I usually do a DC, but on the rare occasion I won't.
  • Yes. My dd wants an 8 oz bottle in the middle of the night, if I don't change her she leaks through her diaper. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"