2nd Trimester

registry vs. buying secondhand

Hello-

I posted this on the Babies: 0-3mo board (apologies if that is bad form Huh? ), but thought some ladies here might have some input. Does anyone have any thoughts on buying bottles secondhand? I found someone selling 12 9-oz Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature bottles (the same ones I registered for) for only $40. Typically I've seen them for $15-20 for 3. This sounds like a great deal to me, but should I go for it? Any concerns with buying secondhand bottles? I will, of course, sterilize them before use.

Is this something I should go ahead and keep on my registry wish list, or is it OK to buy these myself, secondhand?

Re: registry vs. buying secondhand

• I wouldn't mind buying used bottles if I could sterilize them and buy new nipples.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageTash13:
    I wouldn't mind buying used bottles if I could sterilize them and buy new nipples.

Yea, you'll want to price out how much new nipples will run you to make sure it's worth it. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Some stuff I have to buy new - bath stuff, bottles, burp clothes, etc.

However, clothes and toys - absoutely! Saves me a ton of $$! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The used bottles sort of gross me out for some reason.  You'll save a lot of money by buying used gear--like playmats, swing, exersaucer, stroller, etc--and clothes.  I'd get my savings there and spend the money on new bottles.

• Thanks everyone!
  • I wouldn't buy bottles second hand, but if someone gave me some that I knew, I might. I want to get some BPA free. The ones that aren't (when DS was a baby, it hadn't been a big deal yet) can leach when you use them in a dishwasher, which is what I did. I tossed them after we were done.

If you did get second hand, you'd want to get new nipples anyways.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    TTC Baby #2 - BFP on 12/14/11 @ 10DPO - CP confirmed 12/18/11
    BFP #2 on 1/13/12
  • Ditto on the bottles if they held breastmilk. Save on other things but not the bottles that will be feeding your baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think that bottles aren't too expensive, so I would buy them new. 

Other stuff like clothes and toys are great used. 

• Would you buy a cup or mug second hand? I would say you definitely want new nipples, but the actual bottle I think would be okay. Definitely sterilize first, but I think it'd be fine. We have such a disposable society, reuse whenever possible. It's cheaper that way too!
  • imagencsumommy:

Some stuff I have to buy new - bath stuff, bottles, burp clothes, etc.

However, clothes and toys - absoutely! Saves me a ton of $$! 

This doesn't make sense to me. I get the bath stuff, and sort of the bottles. But the burp clothes? You know that the same stuff (and worse!) gets on clothes that get on the burp clothes right? Ditto with the toys... only some of them are harder to clean/sanitize. If it gives you the skivies then by all means, buy new... just be aware that you're more likely to come across something seriously icky on a toy than you are on a burp cloth or bath tub. 

• Im all for 2nd hand... all of our bottles are hand me downs. Like a pp said , just sterilize and get some new nipples

• For the people who said they wouldn't buy bottles secondhand -- do you drink out of glasses or eat off of plates at restaurants? It seems like the same thing to me.

I'd have no problem buying the bottles. I agree that you'd need to replace the nipples because those wear out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • yes but I wouldn't let my infant do so.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejelina:
    yes but I wouldn't let my infant do so.

Huh?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"