Babies: 3 - 6 Months

holding a bottle

How do I teach my lo (23 weeks) to hold her won bottle?

Re: holding a bottle

• Usually its just that natural holding that they do and they will grab it but my other 2 children didnt hold their own bottle til they were 6 or 7 mths old.
  • My LO is 8.5 months old and still doesn't hold his own bottle unless he is laying down.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • C is four months old and she likes to keep her hands on her bottle. She thinks she's holding it but she just doesn't have the strength to keep it upright yet. She has done if for about 5 seconds a few times.

I think all you can do is just show her where her hands should go and see what she does. If she isn't going to hold it, you can't really force her to until she's ready.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Fastest year of my life. Lilypie First Birthday tickerswww.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker
    imageimageimage
  • Sounds young to be holding a bottle, but as with all things I'm sure there is a range! I bet you could encourage it by getting a bottle with handles. We use Tommee Tippee bottles and I bought one of their sippy cups with handles (fwiw labeled 4+ months) and I can change out the top with a regular bottle top!
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

• My LO is 20 weeks old and we've been practicing her holding her own bottle for a few weeks now. She does better every day, but definitely can't do it 100% on her own, and if she drops it, then we need to help.  We first tried propping it up with a burp cloth or small blanket and showed her where her hands went. Then we bought Avent sippy cups with handles where we can switch out the nipples with the sippy cup nipple. She can hold onto those much better. 
  • It's a developmental thing, they'll do it when they're ready.

My DS, almost 5 months, has been starting to put his hands on his bottle pretty consistently, but can't grip it strong enough to hold it up right in his mouth. 

If you really have a problem helping your child eat, you could always get this contraption. Which, is actually kind of cool, but I would only use it sparingly since they could never learn to hold a bottle with it.

BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• Why do you want LO to hold the bottle so soon?
  • imageHisKonstantine:

I think all you can do is just show her where her hands should go and see what she does. If she isn't going to hold it, you can't really force her to until she's ready.

I did this and now she can hold it. She has troubles putting it back in once it slips out, but she can hold it. She also needs my help angling it when it gets low on liquid.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"