Babies: 0 - 3 Months

DD HATES sleeping on her back

I have having a terrible time getting my 5.5 week old DD to sleep in her crib (on her back). She absolutely HATES being on flat on her back. She will sleep in the swing and her bassinette (both are at an angle so she's not flat on her back). She'll sleep on anyone's chest or in their arms but the minute you try to lay her flat on her back, she wakes up - no matter what state of sleep she is in. I am very consistent during the day about her naps but because she wakes up as soon as I try to put her down in her crib, she isn't sleeping for long periods of time. She loves to sleep on her stomach and she will sleep in her crib on her stomach without a problem. But I am worried about SIDS. Do I keep trying or wait until she's older? Any advice? Suggestions?

Re: DD HATES sleeping on her back

• I agree try the swaddle. Babies can feel like they're falling if their arms aren't tight. At the hospital they also said DD could sleep on her side and that's how they had her every time they brought her to me. They just rolled up a receiving blanket and propped her back against it so that she wasn't flat on her back but she also couldn't flip to her tummy.  Also try some white noise. Turn it on before you move LO and let it stay on after you put her down. That with a swaddle got DD in her PNO napping for over 1.5 hours today and I haven't been able to put her down in more than a week. (this was the first time I tried this combo and it worked twice today). 

• Both of mine are like that. First daughter was because of her acid reflux and now our newest one is just because she likes her tummy better. With DD 1 we bought a thing that put her at an incline just a bit, just enough to where she was not flat on her back. That worked for a few weeks but she just ended up on her back anyways. I think that as long as there are no extra blankets, no pillows or stuffed animals AND they are on a firm mattress, babies are fine on their tummies. I mean obviously go check on the baby every now and then. My MIL reminded me, when I was freaking out about DD1, that babies have a natural instinct that tells them to move their head to breath. That was a "duh" moment and so now both girls sleep on their tummies. But whatever you decide good luck, she'll get comfy soon :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My DD has never slept on her back.  She would sleep really well on her tummy, and not at all on her back, so we gave in.  She has always had good head control, and when I watch her during naps she moves her head all of the time.  She's not the type of baby to suffer in silence so if she couldn't breathe for even a second, we'd know.  Babies feel vulnerable on their backs (like a tipped over bug).  You can keep trying to get her on her back, but it might be more trouble than it's worth.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DD will only sleep on her back in she's between me and my husband in our bed.  Any other and place and it's a no-go.  She has reflux so we've been told to prop her up.  We used a rolled up blanket under her crib sheet first until we discovered something SO much better.  The Boppy pillow I got for breastfeeding is perfect for her to sleep in and she LOVES it.  We started by putting her in it on the couch for naps and then moved it to the crib.  She sleeps so much better and longer.  image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"