3rd Trimester

Double Stroller ? - Mom's having their 2nd+ child

Our DD just turned 3.  It's rare that we use a stroller when we go out, but we do when we go on walks, travel etc.  I had not even thought of a double stroller until I saw my neighbor the other day pushing hers (she has a 3 yr old DD and an infant). 

I started thinking today how it will be nice to start walking after having the baby (I am athletic and will walk for the 6 weeks until I can start running).  We have a trip to Disney planned in Sept - we were going to just do the snap and go and an umbrella.  Do you think we should invest in a double stroller?  Or should I just look into the standing one?  or am I fine without one?  I do work F/T so I will be returning to work 3 months after delivery. Any recs?

TIA

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Double Stroller ? - Mom's having their 2nd+ child

• I'm curious about this... I would really like one to fit the carrier on especially for the summer but I don't know if its worth the $$$
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD will turn 3 a few days/weeks after this LO is born. We bought a used double stroller on kijiji. For walks around the neighbourhood, and big outings (like the zoo) we will take it so when DD gets tired she can get in. For smaller trips, or where both of us are there, we will likely just use the travel system with LO#2 and DD will walk.
  • Loading the player...
  • we were going to but last minute decided against it. I asked myself how often do I use the big stroller (not an umbrella stroller) and its like 3 times a yr because its just so big and a double stroller is huggge..so for us we just decided we would only use the double stroller for like a few times and for big things like going to a fair or something like that and in that case there would be both me and my husband so I would rather each of us just take one small stroller. and the fact that the double stroller that fit our carseat was 300 bucks made a deciding factor as well! but if you think you will do lots of outings on your own then I think you will def need the double stroller. 
  • I did originally because I thought I would use it a lot but returned it and am not sorry I did. We just have no use for a doble stroller. DS1 walks more than rides in a stroller and if he did end up in the stroller I would have the baby in a carrier anyway. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It sounds like in your situation you don't really need one. We got a nice one when we had DD, but DS was still under 2 and rode in the stroller a fair bit. We'll get some use out of it when this LO arrives, for the baby and DD. But I always imagined that had DS been 2.5 or older when DD was born, we likely would have looked into a sit'n'stand style.  I don't think it'd be a bad idea to explore second hand strollers or sit'n'stands and see if you can find something cheap for the occasional use, but I also think your idea of a snap and go (also easy to find 2nd hand) or baby carrier/wrap for LO and umbrella stroller for DD while on vacation would work well.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I really like our Joovy Ultra Light S&S so far.  Lily likes to walk most of the time, but the bench is there when her little legs get tired on longer trips.  

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• imagepinksweetpea2:
    I really like our Joovy Ultra Light S&S so far.  Lily likes to walk most of the time, but the bench is there when her little legs get tired on longer trips.  

Does the graco carrier fit on those? 

• yaleyale member

imagepinksweetpea2:
    I really like our Joovy Ultra Light S&S so far.  Lily likes to walk most of the time, but the bench is there when her little legs get tired on longer trips.  

I'm looking at these on CL. I'm also looking at the Baby Trend Sit n Stands - they seem to sell for a lot less around here. I don't foresee us using it that much, but it will be good for trips to the zoo, traveling, etc.

• My daughter is three and a half and I was undecided too, but found a sit n stand on clearance at Target for $70 and decided to go ahead and get it. I'm doubt I would have paid full price though. Even though my daughter can walk just fine, I do still use the stroller for trips to the mall, zoo, etc, and I also think, just based on her comments already, that if she sees her baby brother riding in the stroller she will want to as well, so this is one way around the conflict. I guess we'll have to see!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
  • imageAprilsies:

imagepinksweetpea2:

nope... is there anything that fits the graco snug ride besides graco ? wtf! 

• I had a Baby Trend Sit and Stad and a Graco Infant seat worked just fine with it... the boys are 21 months apart but we used it until about 6 months ago when the boys were 4 and 5

Court
    DH 40  ME 40
    GD, Myasthenia Gravis, Factor V Leiden

DS #1 born via emergancy c-section 01/23/06 at 37w

DS#2 born via c-section 10/27/2007 at 36w due to PROM

DS #3 born via repeat c-section 04/13/2012 at 39w

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away." - George Carlin
  • We just recently (yesterday acutally) got the bumbleride twin indie.  It's roomie enough for DS (2.5 years), and also has the ability to fit our britax carseat on the other side.

It's a bit wide, and heavy, so I see us using it mainly for walks, or Disney (we live close.)  I'm also thinking about getting a sit-n-stand for daily use. 

• I've been trolling craigslist and Once Upon a Child looking for a specific one.  DS1 still loves the stroller, and I want the one that matches my car seat.  But I'm not willing to pay full price either!
  • imagePunken13:
    I had a Baby Trend Sit and Stad and a Graco Infant seat worked just fine with it... the boys are 21 months apart but we used it until about 6 months ago when the boys were 4 and 5

This is good to know! Thanks! 

• We have the peg perego side by side double stroller.  I love it.  It is light weight for a double and turns really well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • My DD will be 18 months when LO arrives so my situation is a little different.  I have heard very mixed feedback about getting a double, even on the 2u2 board.  So, I decided to get one off of Craigslist.  It has taken probably 3 months of looking and being pretty picky but I finally found what I want.

We are picking it up tonight in fact! 

• My DS will be almost 3 when LO arrives, and I am getting a stroller. I SAH and walk/run almost daily, so it is a must for my sanity:) He is still really great about being in it. Plus we have lots of family day trips planned for the summer, and I know we will use it.

I have heard negative things about the sit-n-stands though...I think my DS would prefer to be IN the stroller enjoying a snack and he can get out and walk if need be.

Also, just an FYI if you are going to Disney...are you going to Disney World in FL? If so, they have stroller rentals that are GREAT! We just went in December and got one from MagicStrollers-I think it was $15 for the first day and $7 every day after that-and they have great quality ones too-we used City Mini Jogger while there. Much cheaper than renting from the parks, and easier than bringing to airport, etc.

• We got a Britax B-Ready convertible stroller that we can add the second seat to (or snap the infant carseat onto). That way if we don't need it as a double, it can easily just be a single stroller and be just as easy to steer. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • imageAprilsies:
    imageAprilsies:

imagepinksweetpea2:

nope... is there anything that fits the graco snug ride besides graco ? wtf! 

I just looked at the amazon listing and it does say that it is compatible with Graco Sungride.  I can't speak from personal experience because I have a Chicco, but if it says it is, then I would assume it works. 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• I'm in the same boat as you. My DD is almost 3 and I don't think we've used a stroller since the fall. She just won't sit in one for any length of time. I was thinking that she may sit in one again if the new baby is riding around in one and was debating a double stroller.
  • My DS will be almost 4 when baby is born, but I still invested in a double stroller.  We got the Combi Twin Sport.  DS still rides in his stroller (and naps too) when we are at the mall/day trips etc. (He will run if he's not locked in!!).  I also want to take lots of walks in the summer, so I got it for that reason too!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"