Breastfeeding

BF for 11months... sleep issues?

DD will be 11 months on Friday.  I BF on my days off, but pump when I am at work.  When I pump, she typically has two 4oz bottles along with all her other food, water, and juice.  I nurse her before she goes to bed, but she is still waking up at night to eat.  I think I've created this problem because I automatically just nurse her back to sleep.  Could this be a supply issue?  I've tried incorporating a little bit of formula last week, but she doesn't like it.  I'm thinking of trying whole milk since she is almost a year at this point.  

What are your thoughts?  Is she not getting enough milk at night before bed? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: BF for 11months... sleep issues?

• My pedi said that when babies get older that they start waking up in the middle of the night to eat out of habit and they really should be able to sleep throught the night. When my DD was 9 months old, we ended up cutting out her night feeding and since then she has been consistantly sleeping through the night. It's been amazing.

• imageMrs. Sarah&Micah:

My pedi said that when babies get older that they start waking up in the middle of the night to eat out of habit and they really should be able to sleep throught the night. When my DD was 9 months old, we ended up cutting out her night feeding and since then she has been consistantly sleeping through the night. It's been amazing.

What did you do to cut the night feedings? One at a time, cold turkey, send dad in, etc? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We decided to start cutting out feedings over Thanksgiving weekend- so that we would have an extra day to deal with any rough nights we may have. Basically when DD would wake up, my husband would go into her nursery, give her back her pacifier, tell her it's okay and to go back to sleep and then he would walk out of the room. She would cry  it was basically like sleep training all over again. DD cried a lot that first night and I felt horrible that DH had to keep getting up and getting her back to sleep. The first night was the worst. I tried to go into her room and get her to go back to sleep but since I am her source of food, it only made her cry louder and get more upset than when DH would go in. So that was the end of me going into her room.

About a week later, she was only waking a few times during the week and even to this day, 4 months later, there are occasional nights where she still wakes up, but generally speaking, it worked and she no longer wakes up at 2-3 am, but wakes up at 5, which is much easier to get a full night's sleep! It's pretty amazing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"