Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Closed Tear Duct

My 12 day old son has a closed tear duct as per the pediatrician...He showed us how to clean it out and massage it to open it up. Just wondering generally how long it takes for this to clear up I feel so bad for my poor baby with all this yellow gook in his eye...also any other things that you have done to open up the tear duct??
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Closed Tear Duct

• Options
    My baby will be 2 months old this week and her have been blocked since we came home from the hospital. I hate it with all that goop on her eyes. Last week one eye became unblocked finally, now we just have one more to go and I hope its soon. Ive been trying to massage the inside corners of her eye but I didnt think it was helping since this has been going on for two months. But thats what the doc told us to do and also when you wipe their eye to wipe from the outside to the inside corner. Hope your baby's gets unblocked quickly!
  • Options
    if you're breastfeeding, squirt some breastmilk in there. Sounds weird but it works wonders. Cleared up my son's eyes in no time, no massaging required.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageEngaged 74:
    My baby will be 2 months old this week and her have been blocked since we came home from the hospital. I hate it with all that goop on her eyes. Last week one eye became unblocked finally, now we just have one more to go and I hope its soon. Ive been trying to massage the inside corners of her eye but I didnt think it was helping since this has been going on for two months. But thats what the doc told us to do and also when you wipe their eye to wipe from the outside to the inside corner. Hope your baby's gets unblocked quickly!

Wow that long...ok..thanks so much 

• Options

imageannabelle.27:
    if you're breastfeeding, squirt some breastmilk in there. Sounds weird but it works wonders. Cleared up my son's eyes in no time, no massaging required.

Unfortunately not breastfeeding....thanks though 

• Options
    My ds had the same thing it took about a week to get rid of it and open the clog up. We just kept using the warm wet cloth and rubbing it three times a day in a circular motion.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DS had this, one eye resolved w/in a month, the other took two months.  Ped said it can take up to a year to resolve, thankfully, we didn't have that problem. 
    photo IMG_2317_zpsa2789747.jpg
  • Options

Hate to be a downer, but DS1 had a blocked duct for almost 16 months!!! We were scheduled to have surgery in January 2011, and it unclogged at the first of the year. FYi the surgery is no big deal, they run a tiny wire thru to unclog, some docs put in a temporary stent that is removed a month later, only hard part is the anesthesia and the price tag lol.  but I think like 95% spontaneously resolve.

• Options
    Ha!  I just posted about this on my BMB.  Our 3 week old has the same issue in both eyes.  We were shown how to massage the tear duct so hopefully that helps soon.
  • Options
    Use a warm wet washcloth to massage the eye and under the eye/cheekbone this helps to drain the sinuses, usually this will clear itself up in a few weeks. My mother got plenty of practice with this one due to myself having a clogged duct. Unfortunately for me, my duct never cleared and had to be surgically opened, but I can say that there are no lasting negative effects of this and my vision is fine. So even if it comes down to the worst, I hope that makes you feel a little better, also the surgery has advanced considerably, mine was done with tiny wires, my cousin (much younger than me) had his done completely by laser with no touching at all!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"