3rd Trimester

Foley Catheder induction

*also posted in March 2012 moms

I will most likely be induced next week through the Foley catheder.  At today appointment i was told i am only 1cm dialated and my due date is March 21st. So....nothing is really happening.  Therefore, induction is inevitable. Can anyone tell me about their positive experience about being induced with the foley catheder ? Did it hurt? my main concern is that it hurts. I'm sorry im a nervous scared wreck!

Re: Foley Catheder induction

• good luck :) and congratulations
  • just curious what is a Foley Catheder? I always thought being induced meant being started on pitocin? but I am totally clueless haha...and I am due March 23rd and so far only 1 cen. as well...soooo I will most likely be induced as well:(
  • Loading the player...
  • Heh, I actually just had to go double check the birth story I wrote for myself to see when they put it in because I barely remember noticing it. If I remember correctly, her placing it was no worse than a yearly exam. After that, I think it was no worse than a tampon. They started the Pitocin right around the same time so really, I was more distracted by the contractions. I was a little nervous about the Foley catheter but the fact that I barely remember it tells me it wasn't bad at all. If it would help, I could send you my whole story. It's long and there's not much about the Foley catheter but most details are there about the whole induction process.
    CafeMom Tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sure i would love to read your story about the induction process, as I am nervous :)
  • K, sent you a private message.
  • I did have this as well, and the foley catheter part was not bad at all.  I had a wonderful induction with my daughter and I am hoping to be induced the same way again.  The contractions do go from 0 to strong quickly, but they were manageable.  For me I liked knowing that my labor was going to start - I felt more in control if that makes sense.  Best of luck!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had this kind of induction. Along with cervidil and pitocin. The foley didn't hurt at all for me and I was barely at 1 cm when it was inserted. It was in for like 20 mins at the max and it popped right out I went from 1 to 4 in like 20 mins. I would let them do it again if it comes down to it. So very positive results for me :) Good luck and hope everything goes smoothly for you
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageiarhyme:

*also posted in March 2012 moms

I will most likely be induced next week through the Foley catheder.  At today appointment i was told i am only 1cm dialated and my due date is March 21st. So....nothing is really happening.  Therefore, induction is inevitable. Can anyone tell me about their positive experience about being induced with the foley catheder ? Did it hurt? my main concern is that it hurts. I'm sorry im a nervous scared wreck!

Hi gang,  I'm an RN and I normally skip reading some of the medical posts, but I wanted to clarify the purpose of a Foley Catheter for the masses. A foley catheter is placed in the urethra for the main purpose of removing urine from the bladder by gravity.  Foley insertion will not induce labor.

There are other methods of induction (membrane stripping, breaking of waters, use of Pitocin, and cervical ripening agents) that would be available for your use.   

P.S.--iarhyme, we share the same due date!  Good luck with your delivery! 

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagetqsbride:

Hi gang,  I'm an RN and I normally skip reading some of the medical posts, but I wanted to clarify the purpose of a Foley Catheter for the masses. A foley catheter is placed in the urethra for the main purpose of removing urine from the bladder by gravity.  Foley insertion will not induce labor.

There are other methods of induction (membrane stripping, breaking of waters, use of Pitocin, and cervical ripening agents) that would be available for your use.  

Actually, they use the balloon portion to help dilate the cervix. For me, they place the balloon then started Pitocin. They later removed the balloon after my cervix had dilated enough. After my epidural, they placed a catheter in my urethra.  

• imagesunne~leoht:
    imagetqsbride:

Actually, they use the balloon portion to help dilate the cervix. For me, they place the balloon then started Pitocin. They later removed the balloon after my cervix had dilated enough. After my epidural, they placed a catheter in my urethra.  

I stand corrected!  I haven't seen this practice carried out in hospitals that I've worked at, but I found some research papers which used this practice to induce labor.  So, perhaps it varys based on hospital policy or provider's preference.   Verrrry interesting.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had one -- I had it put in after 2 rounds of cyotec that got me to about 1 cm.  Insertion was not that uncomfortable and it wasn't that bad -- except that anytime I moved the pressure/tension it put on my cervix to dilate made my entire body convulse and that was really uncomfortable.  I had it put in at about 9 am and it fell out about 9 hours late when I was around 3.5/4 cm.  My induction ended up failing because I never dilated past 5 cm. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had one with my daughter. I won't lie-them inserting the catheter hurt like a beast, but once it was in it was fine. It never put me into full blown labor. I went to the hospital the next morning, they removed the Foley, broke my water, started pitocin and 8 hours later I had my daughter. The whole thing was easy (after the epi of course) and we both did really well. She had 9's on her Apgars.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Foley catheder is for the bladder.  Foley bulb helps with induction.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Why would you have to be induced? I wasn't dilated at all the day before my son was born and I was at 2 cm 15 hours before DS was born. Does your Dr think you just aren't going to progress?
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"