Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Talk to me about your crib bedding

Hi new moms! Wandered over from 2nd tri to ask about crib bedding. Currently trying to decide on the set that I want to help determine what color our son's nursery will be. What is considered "safe" is always changing. I've heard nothing but the mattress should be in the crib. What are you using? Did you purchase a set (i.e., 4 piece, 5 piece, etc.) and do you have any buyer's remorse? Any insight would be great. Thanks so much.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

Re: Talk to me about your crib bedding

• Options
    I ordered mine from babyGap when they were having a 30% off sale. I love it.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

We have a waterproof mattress and a couple of these sheets (in orange, yellow, and blue):  https://www.amazon.com/Magnolia-Organics-Standard-Fitted-Sheet/dp/B002UPKQOS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1332193671&sr=8-6

I am so in love with those sheets.

We also have a breathable bumper, which I removed when he was born and never put back.

He mostly sleeps outside of his crib.  But I love those sheets.  Love love love them.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We have a waterproof mattress, crib sheets and a crib skirt.  The sheets and skirt are in the theme we went with for the nursery.  I didn't get a bedding set as I knew I wouldn't use the bumper or quilt that came with it. 

FWIW, the current recommendation from the American Academy of Pediatrics is no bumper of any sort in the crib.  Thus, we have no bumper.  Honestly, sheets are really easy to change with no bumper.  I've changed them enough times at 4am and/or on no sleep that I can tell you that I would most likely have removed a bumper if we had one for the annoyance factor alone. 

Also, I have about eight million blankets.  They're very popular gifts.  Very popular.  So, I really had no interest in getting yet another blanket, regardless of whether it matched our nursery theme or not.  I also liked the idea of getting four sets of sheets for about $40, rather than one set with the full crib set for $175.  That extra $135 bought us a lot of stuff for the nursery and kiddo.

Some people use their bumpers to make valances.  I just bought coordinating fabric at the craft store and my mom made me an outrageously cute valance and curtain set.  I was going to do it myself, but I was apparently too slow for her tastes.   Anyway, if you're going with a full nursery set and not using the bumper in the crib, then that's a way you can use it. 

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Options
    I'm in the process of making a quilt, bumper, and curtains for Smudge's room. I was going to buy one from BRU, but this way it's only costing about a third of the BRU one, and it's more personalized and matches the colour/theme better. The recommendations change so often, that I'm just going to do what feels right, and since Smudge wiggles around so much I think he needs the bumpers to stop him from getting bumped on the bars.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I got a set as a shower gift that had the comforter, bumper, crib skirt and sheet. I use the sheet, along with others of course, and the crib skirt, that's it. The comforter is folded over the back of my glider in his room, and the bumpers were in the closet until recently when I bought a plastic play yard for the living room and tied the bumper up inside that in case he falls while sitting... so all in all, happy with the one we got. If it hadn't been a gift I would have bought it anyways.

• Options
    now we have the complete set (bumper, quilt, sheet, no skirt though) I bought some amazing chenille sheets off amazon that are super soft and cozy and alternate them out with the matching crib sheet. we just put on bumpers this month, i thought the breathable bumpers were a waste of money, the only good thing was it kept his paci falling out of the slats, but he would whack his head against the slats all the time and now when he does it the regular bumpers pad him and he doesn't cry about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options

I  bought 4 sheets, a crib skirt, 2 mattress pads and a quilt off amazon.

I only got the quilt because it was like $15.00 and it was cute. It's draped over the back of my rocker now and makes a good playmat more than anything. I'd have skipped the skirt too, but again it was cute and marked down to like $8.00. I will admit it "finishes" the room and makes plain sheets look more polished. 

I spent like $60.00 on the whole ensemble. Baby bedding isn't really my thing though . Most of it is pretty much unusable anyways.

I've never had a need for anything more either.

• Options

I purchased a set that included crib skirt, sheets, bumpers and comforter.  I use all but the comforter, because it is too warm and we've been using sleep sacks.

I use the bumper pads that came with the set, even though there are some recs to not use the pads.  I think it is a personal decision and you will have to do what is right for you.  I went back and forth for a while with the decision.

• Options
    I wouldn't waste your money on a set. We use a fitted sheet, that is all.
    image imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageMrsSkull1107:

All I have is a baby/toddler combo mattress on the baby side, a crib, a sheet and a breathable bumper in her bed. The mattress is covered in a plastic, zippered cover and on top of that, I have a waterproof, slip on mattress cover. This is great for the 4am blowouts - I can just pull of the sheet and the mattress cover, wipe down the plastic sheet and remake the bed without worrying about the mattress being soiled.

I do have a dust ruffle underneath the crib but that's decorative and has nothing to do with her sleep.

This is us too.  I'll probably start using her quilt in her bed when she is over a year old.  I used the bumpers on the bottom outside of the crib so I can store stuff under there.  I don't have any buyers remorse cause I knew I couldn't use most of the set until she was closer to a year. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Our 3 Precious Angels That Left Us Too Soon
    BFP #2-EDD 07/05/13 - Tater and Tot passed at 12w3d. D&C 1/17/13
    BFP #3-EDD 12/19/13 - Peanut passed at 9w1d. D&C 05/31/13

Diagnosed with Hypothyroid 05/20/13 

BFP #4 - 09/22/13 - DD#2 born 05/27/14

All Alers Welcome!

imageimage

• Options
    imageMrsSkull1107:

All I have is a baby/toddler combo mattress on the baby side, a crib, a sheet and a breathable bumper in her bed. The mattress is covered in a plastic, zippered cover and on top of that, I have a waterproof, slip on mattress cover. This is great for the 4am blowouts - I can just pull of the sheet and the mattress cover, wipe down the plastic sheet and remake the bed without worrying about the mattress being soiled.

I do have a dust ruffle underneath the crib but that's decorative and has nothing to do with her sleep.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Our 3 Precious Angels That Left Us Too Soon
    BFP #2-EDD 07/05/13 - Tater and Tot passed at 12w3d. D&C 1/17/13
    BFP #3-EDD 12/19/13 - Peanut passed at 9w1d. D&C 05/31/13

Diagnosed with Hypothyroid 05/20/13 

BFP #4 - 09/22/13 - DD#2 born 05/27/14

All Alers Welcome!

imageimage

• Options

Double layer of mattress pad and fitted sheet, so any soiling and I can just peel off one layer. No bumper, no quilt. It's not necessary and I found lots of other ways to "decorate" that aren't safety concerns.

TTC for 3 years. Finally successful after 5 IUIs and 2 cycles of IVF. Our amazing twins were born 5 weeks early on 8/16/11. Found out April 2012 that our di/di twins are ID.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    imagefestivus:

Double layer of mattress pad and fitted sheet, so any soiling and I can just peel off one layer. No bumper, no quilt. It's not necessary and I found lots of other ways to "decorate" that aren't safety concerns.

This....Someone bought me the "set" but the bumpers have been in the closet since the first time I changed her sheets and the quilt is in the family room as a play mat.  SkipHop sells cute sheets that mimic a bumper.  Personally, I would spend a few extra dollars on nice sheets that will hold up wash after wash then all the little extra pieces that might not get used.  

Eff Yeah! Mighty Ducks
    Oct '14 September Siggy Challenge
    Teenage Crush

DD: E, 8/20/11
    DS: N, 7/11/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Have 3 cotton sheets, 2 of which I bought used for $2 and one (used) that was given to me by a friend.  Bought a breathable bumper after he wiggled his legs out of the slats a couple times during naps.  Based on safety recommendations and personal preference, nothing else needed.  His room has no theme/colors.  Just not my thing.  
  • Options
    I bought a set,  I use the comfortable in the pack and play as a little more comfortable mattress(it fits perfect).  I ended up buying the breathable bumpers around 4mths and left those on until around 6.5mths. At 6.5mths I put the bumpers that came with the set back on the bed because she was moving around so much.  Now I do not have anything on the bed but the sheets of course. No buyers remorse because I use everything!!! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have a set from pottery barn kids.  DD room is painted & decorated to coordinate with the comforter set. I haven't use the comforter but will once she's a bit older. I love the crib bed skirt because I can hide extra diapers and whatever under the crib. DD just went to crib from her pack and play. I keep the bumper in because she moves around so much. It's a personal choice really, We have a video monitor that I can zoom in and see that she is breathing so I'm not worried about it. 

We have the baby/toddler mattress munchkin brand, waterproof mattress cover and I have several sheets. The chenille bothers her skin tho and caused it to be almost like a rash so I use the jersey and flannel. 

• Options
    I just use a crib sheet no bumpers or quilts (thus a set seemed unecessary).  My mom made a crib skirt out of fabric we purchased (I couldn't find one I liked and she had fun making it).  I have a Sealy Soybean Foam mattress and love it -- super light and easy to change.
  • Options
    We spent a ton of money buying the set-sheet, bumper, blanket and skirt and I'm now kicking myself and said the other day if we have another baby, We will just buy the sheet. My daughter is so active, we had to take the bumper out within a couple of months because she was all over the crib! We did recently buy the breathable bumper because her legs kept getting caught in the crib slats. If I were to redo it, I would have gotten sheets, the breathable bumper and a crib skirt(if you can find one alone).. don't spend $200 like we did! Tongue Tied
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"