1st Trimester

Any tea drinkers? Having trouble finding pregnancy friendly tea.

Twice now I've made myself a cup of tea, then just as I was about to take a sip - googled the herbs in it and was forced to throw it out.

Any other tea drinkers?  What are your faves that you can safely drinking during pregnancy?

I admit to being thoroughly frustrated by everything I supposedly can't have, lol. :) 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Any tea drinkers? Having trouble finding pregnancy friendly tea.

• Yogi and Traditional Medicinals both make an Herbal Pregnancy Tea...safe to drink throughout your pregnancy. Both advise to ask your OB before drinking (assuming in case you're high risk), but when I asked mine, she looked at me like I was crazy and said "of course you can goofy!" Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  image 

• imageChancieMark:

I drink a rooibos and a spicy black tea for the most part. As long as you aren't drinking medicinal quantities of most herbal teas you should be fine (although I think Red Raspberry Leaf and Chamomile are no-no's).

Pregnancy teas have red raspberry leaf in them - it helps tone the uterus apparently to help with labor. It can cause some minor spotting I believe if drank alone, but my OB said it was definitely okay to drink a tea that had some in it during the first tri-mester. But, I know every OB is different!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  image 

• Loading the player...
  • I was told to avoid red raspberry leaf, black cohosh, slippery elm and pennyroyal.  The only one you're likely to encounter is the raspberry leaf. (I also see an herbalist, hence the "odd" teas)
  • You girls are fantastic, thanks! :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • peppermint! but read carefully it's not peppermint green tea.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was just wondering, thoughts on Decaf Chai Tea? I picked up some at the store and it smells amazing. I'm addicted to the Chat Tea Latte's at Sbucks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • noah-bear, you can buy the chai latte mix at costco, then mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with milk. It's way cheaper and almost as yummy :)

I need to find out the caffiene levels of a chai, come to think of it.

I'm drinking Mint Medley after lunch and Earl Grey before lunch. Don't drink green tea because it can reduce the folate in your system.

• imageCeltic Ember:

noah-bear, you can buy the chai latte mix at costco, then mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with milk. It's way cheaper and almost as yummy :)

I need to find out the caffiene levels of a chai, come to think of it.

I'm drinking Mint Medley after lunch and Earl Grey before lunch. Don't drink green tea because it can reduce the folate in your system.

What I found a few weeks ago was approx 48 per 12oz, so a bit higher than a can of Dr Pepper (another weakness of mine). Sadly they don't sell decaf chai at Starbucks, lol

• Just checked the Starbucks site, a grande chai latte has 50mg of caffiene.

To compare, a grande standard coffee has 330 mg of caffiene.

• I am not even TTC yet and when I went to my gyno recently she was already telling me to scale back on the caffine. Uh oh! HUGE tea addict here! Thanks for posting this question. It was great to read up on the responses so I can have a bit of heads up. :)
  • I've had multiple cups of TAZO Passion tea every day for my entire pregnancy. Its really hit the spot for me!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • What's so wrong with herbal non-caf teas?  I seem to be in the dark here but OB never said anything about restrictions on tea, other than to cut down on caf, so I'm currently sipping on a blackberry current tea..
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Anniversary

• I drink lots of tea and only herbal tea since I can't have caffeine for other reasons. My OB's office said herbal tea was fine. I'm still sticking to pretty pure ones (straight peppermint, straight rooibos, etc.) and avoiding chamomile just in case.
  • Peppermint herbal tea- I'm love it right now!
    Logan Jack- 6.1.10 and Emmett Weston- 9.29.12 

• I love roobios tea and have regular and chai.  I also enjoy Irish Breakfast (decaf) and Lady Grey (decaf) by twinnings.  As a gift I was given Get Maernal by The Republic of Tea...it's not my favorite, but I'll drink it every now and then.
  • I like Celestial Seasonings and Tazo teas.  Anything herbal is good.  Right now I have Chamomile (Tazo) and Peach (CS).  I also drink caffeinated teas.  I like the Starbucks/Panera Chai teas and have green tea every now and then. 
    CafeMom Tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Celestial Sleepytime and lemon Zinger along with Typhoo have been life savers for me :D
  • Many dessert teas have a combination of herbs in them, if you are not sure, you can google the particular herb to find out if safe during pregnancy. 

I drink teecino, sporadically, it is a combination of dates, almonds, carob and has chicory. It is delicious, you brew it like coffee, and it is totally caffeine free.

However I read some info that chicory is not safe during pregnancy were in other places say it is safe. I just drink one cup maybe once a week.  

DS was born in April 2012 at 31 weeks - 45 days in NICU
  • i drink sleepy time tea. lol it works great since i have such a hard time sleeping now. i would recommend it at night though. i haven't heard anything bout teas except the caffeine levels. sleepy time tea has like only 3 mg of caffeine so it is decaffeinated, i would suggest talking to your ob. he/she might be able to find a tea that works for you. Good luck
  • I'm a HUGE tea drinker, and am struggling with not getting to drink my favourites. I've restricted myself to one cup of caffeinated (Earl Grey/green/oolong) tea a day, and then the rest is peppermint, rooibos or chamomile-  none of which actually hit the spot as much! But what is wrong with chamomile? Am googling it now, but I thought the only problem with tea was the caffeine, and some herbs. 

Okay - they say that chamomile oil may be a problem, but chamomile tea is absolutely fine (less concentrated). Whew! 

• kiyackiyac member

Been sticking solely to peppermint, just to be safe. Heard raspberry leaf can induce contractions, so I'm staying away from that. I did hear chamomile was ok in small amounts, but still staying away from that too.

Also, if you're having a boy, avoid a lot of lavender. Lavender is a phyto-estrogen that can cause some small abnormalities with boys.

• Earth Mama Angel makes a variety of pregnancy safe teas for your entire pregnancy.  Right now I am drinking Peaceful Mama and LOVE it.  I don't add any sugar or anything and also brew it as iced tea to have during the day.  There are so many teas to avoid so I just stick with these.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"