Toddlers: 24 Months+

Moms of potty trained boys...

When did your DS pee standing up? W/ relative success. :)
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

Re: Moms of potty trained boys...

• DS potty trained around 2.5 and was ready we did it with ease.  I have not pushed him to pee standing up yet.  I am in no hurry! ha! DS will be three in about a month.
    April 2009
  • Hayden has tried to pee standing up but he csnt do it quite yet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • He PT between 2 to 2.5, and we practiced both standing up and sitting down from the get go.  He prefers standing.  He's tall enough now that he can reach from the floor, but before that, we used a little step stool in front of the potty.

I actually prefer when he's standing because his aim is better that way!  However, if he doesn't sit, he sometimes "forgets" that he needs to poop and then has an accident later.  So, I make sure to have him sit for at least a few minutes a couple times a day.  :-/

Natural hospital birthing, babywearing, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, Baby Led Weaning, milk donating, extended breastfeeding, fully vaxing, extended rear facing SAHM to:
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • There is one little man in the twins' class who trained standing up- and for some reason it cracks me up, taking the booys to the BR- he does fine except needs to be lifted down from the stool to pull his pants up.

I watch a 16 month old and he pees standing but always has to be held.  My DS is in OT partially for balance- no way I'm going to encourage hopping on a stool with his pants at his ankles- LOL- it's more important to me that he is 100% independent getting that which is in, out and in the toilet.  I'll train standing around 4- or rather DH will handle that one.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS doesnt stand.. I dont want him to until around 4 I think... Im not a fan of pee all over the bathroom
  • yaleyale member
    He just started to last week. He's doing really well. He stands on a stool, bends his knees and kind of leans in to do his business. I think he might have seen someone at preschool do it because we didn't even prompt it. It cracks me up, but he has been doing great. So much easier for him to stand than push it down when he sits.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • He's almost 15. Still hits the seat and everything else. Most of it goes in.

• rsd12rsd12 member
    imagegimmietimmies:

He's almost 15. Still hits the seat and everything else. Most of it goes in.

ha! I am guessing this! My 6 yr old does have pretty good aim, but they are so easily distracted. My 4 yr old wants to stand up, but I told him not until he can really reach and he has horrible aim (not all his fault ; ). But it is a good thing to know how to do, trying to get my youngest to pee in the woods recently was really difficult since I have not let him stand and pee since potty training.
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Mine is not actually potty trained but when we've let him try he does it standing. He refuses to sit and I figure it's better to let him try to pee when he wants to then fight the standing/sitting battle. He actually has really good aim. He stands on a stool and leans forward (it must be instinctual) and 90% of what comes out goes right in the toilet, the last 10% tends to dribble out and go down his legs. We'll see if his aim is still good when he's actually going all the time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS stands at daycare because they have the really little toilets. My parents and ILs have standard height toilets so he can stand at those too but needs held for support because he stands on his tip toes. At our house he has to sit because we have ADA height toilets. Whenever he stands, he leans with his hands against the back of the toilet for support and doesn't have any problems with aim.

• imagersd12:
    imagegimmietimmies:

He's almost 15. Still hits the seat and everything else. Most of it goes in.

ha! I am guessing this! My 6 yr old does have pretty good aim, but they are so easily distracted. My 4 yr old wants to stand up, but I told him not until he can really reach and he has horrible aim (not all his fault ; ). But it is a good thing to know how to do, trying to get my youngest to pee in the woods recently was really difficult since I have not let him stand and pee since potty training.

LOL! Too true. If ds is paying attention, he's not so bad. It's when he's tired or distracted which is the worst (so, maybe 50% of the time). DH doesn't do this, so sometime between now and adulthood it stops. Maybe.

Oh, I have also had him do toilet cleaning duty since he was about 7, so that made the dribble factor go from about 100% down to the current 50. I guess it only grosses him out half the time?

ETA: Originally, he was pretty good at it at about 4 1/2, when most of it hit the toilet. Before that he'd be wafting it around, totally distracted. Even when we put tissue boats in to sink.

• DS PT at 17 months old but we taught him to sit down.  It wasn't until he was @ 2 1/2 that we let him do it standing up and it was really easy no aiming issues.  Whether it was because he was pretty old by then or it really wasn't that hard I'm not sure.  I will say that I was so against it because I thought it would be a huge mess and now I just laugh about it because it was no big deal and it sure made it easier with public bathrooms!!
  • We potty trained around 2.5 and they have been standing up for the past 4 months or so.

• My DS preferred peeing standing up from about the second week of PTing. He saw his daddy doing it and he was set. He actually has good aim and less mess than sitting down.

He can't quite reach on some potties so I have him stand on my feet and that gives him the few extra inches he needs. One of my girlfriends said she taught her boys how to do it by taking them outside in the back yard and letting them have target practice in the summer time on trees!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"