Toddlers: 24 Months+

Am I the ONLY one not potty training my two year old...

So.. DD is probably slowly moving towards being ready to potty train. She's definitely aware of when she's wet/poopy, she likes to sit on the potty and she's even started saying, "I need to go potty!" (which I think is more because she hears her big cousins saying this, rather than actually knowing that she needs to go).

However, the room that she's in at her daycare, doesn't do potty training. She'd have to move to the next room up and, at this point, I'm not willing to take her away from her friends (who she's been with since 12 weeks old) just so that we can start potty training. Also, I'm just not really in a big rush. She sits on the potty at home 1-2 times a day, sometimes more on the weekends, but other than one poop, she's never actually peed or pooped in the potty. She likes to just sit there, hold some toilet paper, wipe and then get up. She's yet to pee and I think the one poop was just a coincidence....

I feel like EVERYONE I know is potty training their two year (or younger) old. Am I the only one who just isn't in a rush???

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Am I the ONLY one not potty training my two year old...

• I am not trying t all. Dd's language is just now erupting and a new baby will be here in 7 weeks. Pedi said don't even bother. Im a ok with it.  

• rsd12rsd12 member
    I was not in a rush either with my 1st! He was not potty trained until 2 yrs 9 months and it took 3 days and maybe 1 or 2 accidents over a 6 month period. It was with my third that it hit me hard, and I was more ready than he was (6 years of diapers). We were also going through diapers/training pants because he did not like to be wet, so figured he could do it.
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Loading the player...
  • imagersd12:
    I was not in a rush either with my 1st! He was not potty trained until 2 yrs 9 months and it took 3 days and maybe 1 or 2 accidents over a 6 month period. It was with my third that it hit me hard, and I was more ready than he was (6 years of diapers). We were also going through diapers/training pants because he did not like to be wet, so figured he could do it.

I am planning on a full on potty training attempt the first week of June, which is the first week that I'm out of school (teacher) for the summer. I'm hoping that she'll catch on quickly and that it'll be an easy transition. If she still doesn't get it and it's not going smoothly, then we'll go back to diapers and try again at a different time or at her own pace.

• I'm right there with you. DD1 sits on the potty a few times a day, takes her diaper off constantly and can tell me when she needs a new diaper, but I don't think she's quite ready yet. She interested, but I don't want to push, so we're just taking an "encourage the interest" approach until summer. Then I won't be babysitting my friend's LO and my teacher DH will be home more so I can make a focused effort with her.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was in no hurry with DD.  We let her lead the way and by about 2.5 she was potty trained with very little stress.  I'm a big believer in letting little ones set the pace for potty training and moving beds, seems that it goes smoother.  Just my opinion. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DD1 peed on her little potty a handful of times, when we first got it around 20 months, but showed no interest after that.  We had a chaotic fall and winter with traveling and DH deploying.  I finally cleared a week in February, when she turned 2.5 and we potty trained that week using the 3 Day method.  

DD1 had a language explosion a month or two after turning 2.  While the 3 Day says that they don't have to be overly verbal, it helps.  All in all, 2.5 has been a good time to potty train for us.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • *Raises hand* I'm in no hurry. 

• No rush over here either.  We bought a potty, she loves it.  She'll tell us when she poops, and she has peed in the potty a couple of times.  However, I don't think she's really ready yet.  Our nanny(who used to work in the potty training room at a day care) also doesn't think DD is fully ready yet, so we're being pretty casual about suggesting to her to sit on the potty, but no official training yet.
  • I'm not. He is mildly interested in sitting on the potty but he is showing me zero signs that he is ready. Rushing him and spending days on end in "potty training Hell" sounds miserable to me. From everything I have read and heard, when he's ready it won't be as difficult. So I'm waiting. Once he's 3 if he's not PT or starting to, I'll start to nudge him and get more serious with it.
  • I'm not in any rush.  It would be nice because baby #2 is due any day now and changing two kids diapers does not sound appealing to me but DS just isn't ready yet.  We bought a little potty chair and he will sit on it when he feels interested and he has went on it a couple of times.  I will probably push a little harder when he turns 3.
  • I agree with other posters, trust your mama instincts and follow your daughter's lead.  One little girl in my DS's class was fully potty trained by the time she turned 2 (she was the youngest of 3 and I wonder if perhaps seeing her siblings doing in made her want to do it) while another little girl who will be 3 this spring is just now getting started (she's an only child so I wonder if maybe part of it is that she doesn't see siblings donig it at home like the first girl I mentioned??)

DS is a little over 2 and we've been told 100 times that it is too early to PT a boy.  Well since he expressed interest on his own, we've encouraged it but are definitely not pushing it.  He poops on the toilet all the time but doesn't tell us when he has to pee.  Recently, though, after he has peed in his diaper he tries to pull it off and comes and asks for a dry diaper...so maybe we're heading in the right direction with that.  I don't know...we take it day by day!

• No rush here. We bought a potty and we're talking it up but no plans to even attempt pt until the early summer.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We aren;t trying yet either.  I'm going to let him decide when he's ready and take it from there.  Although, I am hoping he will hold off until August only b/c I'm having surgery in July and that will be one less thing that DH has to worry about.
  • kegkeg member
    Nope,not at all. We had a similar daycare situation where DDs didn't move up until they were over 2.5 so I felt no reason to rush. We sat on the potty after dinner/before bath for months before we did any more. I took everything really gradually and they trained pretty easily with very few accidents. DDs started wearing underwear a month or so after they turned 3 (one a little later). Now they are PTed, I MUCH rather have two in diapers than deal with two in public restrooms. :-)
    2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• no rush here either. it'll happen at some point.
    click the pic (blog)
  • Thanks ladies! I feel so much better now! Tegan has a ton of language and I sometimes think people wonder why I haven't potty trained her. However, language is only one aspect of the equation.
  • I'm in absolutely no rush to have my daughter potty trained. Taking a newly potty trained kid out of the house is a PITA lol! With the older one it was easy to mostly stay in for a week while she got used to being PTed, but the older one has school every day and we have to drive her to/from (it's a 15 minute drive, but with the extra time involved with on-street city parking on both ends it ends up taking an hour+ for each drop off and pick up). She is showing interest and I'm encouraging it, but keeping her in pull ups until she's ready not to wear them.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Dr told me to wait til he was about to turn 3 and not to push it until then. So, I'm going with that. Potty training is something I have absolutely no desire to do. At all.
  • we are not forcing it. She will go on the potty and if I leave her with out pants or a diaper on she does pretty good at remembering to go sit on the potty but if there is anything on her bottom she will pee right in it. She will go at school sometimes but for the most part we are just letting her lead for now. My goal is to ahve her fully potty trained by the time new baby comes around
  • I'm going to be trying in about 3-4 weeks after I stop working.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • I'm in no rush either. He's not ready, so we'll wait until he is.

The only thing we do is sit on the potty before bathtimes. He's started to even say "nooo" when I ask if he wants to sit on the potty first. So, that's fine, but if he starts to pee in the tub (and we talk all the way through this), he is gently lifted out of the tub and put on the potty, where he'll finish every time.

Like I say - he's not ready. I'm okay with that.

• we were in no rush. He showed readiness at 2 years 8 months and that is when we did it.
  • I am not yet. I tried a bit before our new baby arrived in December but DS was totally NOT interested. I'm waiting for a bit now to try again...he's starting to show a little interest at least now so maybe it'll go better next time.

• Adrian is 2-1/2 and I haven't been trying much either. He pees on the potty when I remember to put him there, usually before his bath. But he won't do #2 yet. I think he's not quite ready yet. Boys take longer. I think I'll seriously start training again when he turns 3.
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • No rush here!  I'm kind of dreading the whole process.  I may start trying harder in the summer but for now I'm not worried about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageMandJS:

We started with S at home and it took a while before we got DCP to catch up and work with her, too. I would offer when at home, but not stress if she says no or doesn't go in the potty. 

I agree with you - better to keep her with the kids shes known her whole life than move classes. But it is weird that DCP won't do it at 2... Our center pushes it at 3, but were more than happy to work with S on it when I broached the subject. 

There's not a potty in Tegan's classroom, so they honestly just can't always take her to the potty. There is a potty in the next room over and it's within sight of her room, but it's considered a separate room and there's a fear that either that classroom or Tegan's would be without direct supervision or out of ratio of she needed to go potty. I did talk to the director and she offered to move Tegan officially up to the other room, but it would just be mean to take her away from her friends, especially since she'd be able to see them, but not play with them. 

• DD is right about the same age as yours, and she doesn't even like to sit on her potty, much less do so pantless and diaperless!  She's nowhere near ready, so we're just kind of waiting to see when she seems interested.  As much as I would love to not have 2 in dipes, it's not going to happen now.
  • We only really started doing it because he started wanting to use the one at daycare.  He's at an in-home daycare, and there is one other girl that is a little older that they have been working on potty training.  Once he found out that she got stickers for going poopoo on the potty, he was all for it!  I don't think we'll be full on training for several more months, but DS goes now during diaper changes and it's always his choice if he wants to or not. 
  • We just started full on potty training today, as in I put her in underwear and my little green machine has been busy. She only started showing signs of interest in potty training a couple months ago and just using pull ups and having the potty available wasn't working for us. Among my friends, it seems like 2 1/2 - 3 is the most common age for potty training. I really don't think my DD would have been ready for as a barely 2 yo.
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • No rush here, either.  DD sits on the potty a lot, but it's her choice.  She's gone pee 4 times in the potty.  If she looks shifty, I will ask, but I'm not setting up a regular routine or anything.  I read somewhere that once they successfully go in the potty 10 times, that's a good time to start really pushing.  That seems reasonable to me, so that's what I'm doing.

Most of my friends kids weren't potty trained until 3 years+.  I would rather wait until she's really ready and get it done in 2-4 months, than start early and drag it out 2 years.

• imageAbinormal:

imagersd12:

I am planning on a full on potty training attempt the first week of June, which is the first week that I'm out of school (teacher) for the summer. I'm hoping that she'll catch on quickly and that it'll be an easy transition. If she still doesn't get it and it's not going smoothly, then we'll go back to diapers and try again at a different time or at her own pace.

This was about the same timing we did with DD and it worked out perfectly.  We were dedicated to the 3-day method and she had it down in one day after only one accident.  If we tried earlier I'm not so sure we'd have the same success. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It is so comforting to know I am not the only one not pushing the potty training thing.  Right now neither myself or my DS have any desire to get this started.  He just turned two and it seems everyone jumped on that bandwagon...always has to be something.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"