June 2011 Moms

Anyone do finger foods already?

We've been doing puffs and cheerios but I'd like to start with solids even.  At this point DD only has 2 bottom teeth so I'm very worried about giving her anything that's hard that she can't gum or wouldn't dissolve in her mouth.  So I've been trying avocado, bananas, and cooked vegetables.  Here's the problem - these are all mushy foods so she has a very difficult time picking them up and she gets frustrated!

I'm wondering what anyone else is doing right now with finger foods?

Re: Anyone do finger foods already?

• My son only has 2 bottom teeth.  So far he has had biscuits, pancake, french toast, spaghetti and vege burger as finger foods.  They are just cut up and placed in front of him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I of fruits and veg too but also pasta, toast, pieces of whole grain pancake, quesadilla, cheese etc. he loves it!

Image and video hosting 
by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DS has done cooked veggies, pancakes, toast, noodles, tomato, cheese etc
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • C has two bottom teeth and is working on his top two. He's been doing finger foods for about 6 weeks, mini chicken rissoles, steamed veg, but not so steamed it just mashes up when he grabs it, toast, bread, fruit, cheese, rice crackers, corn off the cob (which he loves! it helps his teething) - you name it we've probably tried it :)
  • We do toast, pancakes, eggs, meatballs, pasta and chunks of fruits/veggies. I want to try him on some chicken and cheese next. M has no teeth but gums pretty well.
  • WOW!  I'm jealous!!

What size do you all cut things up to?  Size of a pea?  Size of a blueberry?   think I'm not even giving DD a good chance because I'm so fearful of her choking! 

• We give A everything. She does have 4 teeth but was eating all of this even with 2. I don't think she uses her front teeth to chew much anyway. Whatever we are eating is what we give her. So she gets chicken, veggies, potatoes, cheese, pasta, beans, lentils, beef, etc. Pretty much anything that we are having she eats at this point. I think it's just a matter of them gettin used to chewing and swallowing whole foods. Once she got that down, she could do anything. We usually make things into pea or blueberry sized bites (depending on the food) and let her feed herself.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • N can eat pretty much anything - he doesn't need teeth to manage it.  Those gums are really hard.  You'd be surprised at what they can mash up!

I have given him:

Raw apples
    Raw pears
    Banana
    Avocado
    Raw and cooked asparagus
    Broccoli
    Chicken
    Falafel
    Kibbee
    Green Beans
    Cheese (string cheese sticks, slices and shredded)
    Carrots
    Hard pretzels
    Egg
    Mango
    I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting

As for the tough time picking them up, she will get used to the right pressure to apply to pick them up the more she practices.  :)

• imageCancunSunsetBride:

WOW!  I'm jealous!!

What size do you all cut things up to?  Size of a pea?  Size of a blueberry?   think I'm not even giving DD a good chance because I'm so fearful of her choking! 

We just give him whole pieces of stuff, not necessarily cut up.  He gnaws off pieces.  Honestly, you'd be surprised what they can handle.  N gags occasionally and coughs sometimes, but he manages just fine :)

• I'm really curious what size you cut things up to with these foods!

Can anyone give me a size perspective?

• imageCancunSunsetBride:

I'm really curious what size you cut things up to with these foods!

I'll quarter an apple or pear and give him the entire thing, half a banana, a whole hard pretzel, a whole pizza crust, a stick of string cheese, an asparagus spear, a broccoli floret, etc.  You don't necessarily need to cut things up super tiny.  He just bites off chunks.

• 6240662406 member
    I read somewhere that suggested that you crust up Cheerios and sprinkle it on things that are slippery for Lo's to pick up.  We're going to try it with bananas.  LO loves them, but got so mad because they kept slipping between her fingers.
    BFP #1: 9/26/10 DD: 5/2011
    BFP #2: 7/23/14 - MC: 8/28/14
    BFP #3: 2/22/15 - MC: 3/3/15
    BFP #4: 5/20/15 - Stick baby stick!!!
  • imagegymnst1013:
    imageCancunSunsetBride:

I'm really curious what size you cut things up to with these foods!

I'll quarter an apple or pear and give him the entire thing, half a banana, a whole hard pretzel, a whole pizza crust, a stick of string cheese, an asparagus spear, a broccoli floret, etc.  You don't necessarily need to cut things up super tiny.  He just bites off chunks.

This! DD only has the 2 bottom teeth with the 2 top ones breaking thru but she's pretty good at taking chuncks of food and eating it no problem.  I do watch her like a hawk tho cuz at times she literally bites off more than she can chew.  

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagegymnst1013:

N can eat pretty much anything - he doesn't need teeth to manage it.  Those gums are really hard.  You'd be surprised at what they can mash up!

Our pedi told us this yesterday.  If you're just starting out, I'd maybe try the soft stuff like bread or pancakes, etc., at least until you see her chewing.  Once she figures out the chewing part, she should be fine with anything.  When we started meat with M, we made the pieces small enough that he wouldn't choke if he didn't chew it, but it was amazing to see him chew on his own right away.  Don't be afraid.  I realized a few times that my figner is a great fishing tool in his little mouth Wink.

• Yup. Pretty much everything is what we are eating. We did BLW though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"