Success after IF

The whole "fan in the nursery" thing....

Do you play by such a rule? Does YOUR baby's nursery have a fan in it, for air circulation/SIDS prevention?

L&C's nursery has pretty low ceilings, and even "low profile" ceiling fans seem too low. So I was going to find some cute small vintage fan or something for one of the side tables. (for some reason I'm bucking the idea of some plastic crap fan sitting there. Don't know why. Maybe I don't have enough to OBSESS ABOUT?? lol. )

Thoughts? Solutions?

spankyouverymuch.

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence

Re: The whole "fan in the nursery" thing....

• Must have in my eyes. ANYTHING that is a SIDS prevention tip I do if at all humanly possible. Boodle's room doesn't have a ceiling fan (and she only naps in there anyways but will eventually sleep in there) so we got a cheap table fan from Target. Actually considered switching out light fixtures it was so important to me, until I posted here and was reassured that it doesn't have to be a ceiling fan and a table fan is sufficient.

But I'm crazy. ;)

*** It's funny because I'm fat ***
  • we have something like this on his tall dresser...I like the white noise from it too...

• Loading the player...
  • CC still sleeps in my room in her RNP next to my bed. But I have window fans ready to go for her room when she moves into her crib.

You can get a window fan and then let the curtains hide it for you until it's in use at night?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah, we do this.  Anna still has a table fan on her dresser...I kinda hide it behind stuff so I don't have to look at its plastic white, fugliness.   Harrison has an espresso finished crib and right now I have a black clip fan attached to one side.  Obviously, that won't work once he can grab stuff/pulling on things, but by then I think the kids will be sharing a room, and he will benefit from the hidden white fan.   :)
    Brought to you by IVF, ICSI, limited fert, and oocyte cryopreservation.
    Because we're fancy like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• once he switched into the nursery for sleep at 8 months, we didn't have one, but while he was sleeping in our room for the first 8 we had a ceiling fan. definitely a must in my mind--like schmoodle, i'll do just about anything to reduce SIDS risk. i think for the next one i would have one all the way up to 12 months.
  • Hayden has one for white noise and air circulation. He still uses it. We sleep with a fan on in our room as well.
  • Yup very important!  I have a small stand alone fan.  Very important and I try and do anything that they recommend.
    DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • We don't. When *I* sleep with a fan, it gives me a sore throat. Pretty much every time. Likewise, if I am too near an air vent (heat or a/c), I get a sore throat and end up sick. No joke. More than one night of this, and I am guaranteed to be sick. So, just in case my kids are like me, I'm not putting fans in their rooms. :/
  • We always had a fan going for Jack - and still do - we all sleep in the same room and mama needs her white noise!  But to me it just made so much sense to keep that air circulating to hopefully decrease risk of SIDS.  Any fan will do - any fan will increase air circulation in the room!

Wheee!

"When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents enjoyment of their babies, it's rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep." ~ James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

• imagemrsolsenk12:
    Hayden has one for white noise and air circulation. He still uses it. We sleep with a fan on in our room as well.

Ditto this! We just use an oscillating tower fan since we don't have ceiling fans. 

After 20 months, 3 Clomid cycles and 4 IUI cycles, IVF #1 with ICSI = BFP!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We have a ceiling fan in DS's room. I, too, wanted it for its potential in SIDS prevention as well as for white noise. We also have one in our bedroom and we love it.
  • I got a Hunter table fan for the twins' nursery. You can find them at Target/Amazon/etc. Even though we have other ugly plastic fans, I wanted something that looked nice in the nursery.
    TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

• We only use fans in the summer.  I'm not at all worried. We don't smoke or have any of the other lifestyle factors that seem to contribute to the risk for SIDS.

I have a Cinni table top fan, they used to sell them at RH. I've had if for well over 10 yrs and it still works great and I can easily move it from room to room or store it in a cabinet

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Andrew has a fugly white, plastic fan on his bookshelf.  Works great!  He slept with us for a few months, we use a ceiling fan year-round.
  • Absolutely. We had ceiling fans installed in all the bedrooms. Two fold really, helps prevent SIDS and keeps the rooms cool.
  • imageschmoodle:

Must have in my eyes. ANYTHING that is a SIDS prevention tip I do if at all humanly possible. Boodle's room doesn't have a ceiling fan (and she only naps in there anyways but will eventually sleep in there) so we got a cheap table fan from Target. Actually considered switching out light fixtures it was so important to me, until I posted here and was reassured that it doesn't have to be a ceiling fan and a table fan is sufficient.

But I'm crazy. ;)

i agree with Schmoodle ;)  anything that can possibly prevent SIDS is worth doing ;) The boys didn't have a ceiling fan, so i just used a cheap stand up plastic one until they were in big boy beds, and then a table top one...stopped at about 2.5, but that was mainly being used at that point for white noise ;) Audrey always had a ceiling fan..and it was always on :) 

Ron and Nora married 6.3.06 21 cycles, 1 m/c, 4 rounds clomid, 1 round gonal f and 3 IUI anovulatory cycles, LPD
    Joey, Ronnie, and Audrey,
    my awesome IUI 30 week twins, and my surprise miracle Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LOVE my SAIF ladies :)
    Lilypie 2nd Birthday TickerLilypie Second Birthday tickers My Blog!
  • We have a ceiling fan but I didn't buy it specifically for that.  He didn't even sleep in his room the first several months.
    TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • nope we never had one..... but I broke a lot of SIDS rules so take that with a grain of salt. 

m/c August 2007 - Blighted Ovum
    Sean - Our IUI/Injectable miracle born Oct. 5, 2008.
    Liam - Our second miracle born July 16, 2010
  • We h a window fan out of necessity: our home doesn't have air conditioning. We only use it on hot days, which isn't often at all.
  • We definitely have a fan in there. It is not sexy, one of those tall tower types, but it does the trick and seemed to be less of a potential safety issue for down the road.
  • imageschmoodle:

Must have in my eyes. ANYTHING that is a SIDS prevention tip I do if at all humanly possible. Boodle's room doesn't have a ceiling fan (and she only naps in there anyways but will eventually sleep in there) so we got a cheap table fan from Target. Actually considered switching out light fixtures it was so important to me, until I posted here and was reassured that it doesn't have to be a ceiling fan and a table fan is sufficient.

But I'm crazy. ;)

This. My son's room has both a ceiling fan and table fan, but I'm also coo-coo.

TTC#1=Feb 2009: 50 mg Clomid+Ovidrel shot+Metformin+Dexamethasone+TI=BFP!

TTC#2=July 2011: Surprise BFP: Chemical Pregnancy
  • We use the trashy plastic box fan.  SIDS prevention and white noise both taken care of.  Done and Done!  LOL!
  • Yep, we followed all the SIDS prevention guidelines. I'm not really a paranoid mama, but they just make sense.

We have ceiling fans in all our bedrooms (pretty common in the South), but I think a table fine would work just fine.

• The nursery in our house happens to have a ceiling fan. Henry was in our room for the first 4 months tho, and while we have a small fan on our dresser for white noise, our bedroom is HUGE, so I doubt it provided circulation around the pnp. I wasn't concerned about air circulation with H and I doubt I'll give it much consideration with the next one.
    Henry and Papa at the farm
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"