Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Hylands teething tablets

LO is having a terrible time with teething and I am sure she isn't the only one! this = lack of sleep for everyone in the house. I am trying to keep some kind of routine i.e not rocking, holding or feeding to sleep.. this is proving difficult to say the least.. I am not wanting to do any sleep training whilst she appears to be in such horrid pain. The inconsolable crying is killing me.. 

Has anyone used these? any other tricks I could use, mainly for night time so rings, frozen wash cloths would be my last resort as I want her to sleep.

Tylenol doesn't do a thing and I don't want to give it constantly! my DH is allergic to motrin so holding off on that.

TIA! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hylands teething tablets

• my doctor said NO on these tablets. there is some ingredient they are not happy with and they are not regulated by FDA
  • M&D06M&D06 member

I used them with ds1 before the recall and I've used them with ds2 since they came back on the market.  I feel safe using them and they have helped both of my boys.  If you're unsure, just ask your doctor.  

• Loading the player...
  • on the nights when our LO has teething pains, we throw the rules out the window and pick her up and rock her and try to console her. Often what works best is distracting her with something interesting (a laptop for example with you tube videos).  Luckily for us though, Tylenol works very well. We also use Humphrey's teething tablets, which help.

Ignoring the rules on teething nights has worked out fine. She gets back to her routine okay.

• We love hylands teething tablets.  We use them for DD for 98% of her teething discomfort.  When she's teething really bad (IE: her 1 year molars are coming in) usually the hylands tablets work really well in during her waking hours and nap time, and we use infant advil at bedtime to help her sleep through the night.
  • We didn't use Hylands Teething Tablets with Layla, but we did with Lydia. And honestly, I don't know why I didn't use them with Layla! They seem to work great, and we only use them when there is no soothing her any other way.
  • imagedaniella2727:
    my doctor said NO on these tablets. there is some ingredient they are not happy with and they are not regulated by FDA

All three of the peds in the practice we use said the same thing. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageJenn is Silly:
    We love hylands teething tablets.  We use them for DD for 98% of her teething discomfort.  When she's teething really bad (IE: her 1 year molars are coming in) usually the hylands tablets work really well in during her waking hours and nap time, and we use infant advil at bedtime to help her sleep through the night.

This!!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • imageCTGirl30:

We use Hyland's and they seem to help DD.

Tylenol is useless (in our case) for teething pain - Advil / Motrin work better and longer for us.

I agree completely.

• Thanks for all the feedback! I know I am not alone but at 3 am I sure do feel like it! 

I think I am going to see what my pedi thinks to the tablets and discuss trying out some motrin/advil too. 

• We can't use the tablets because there is lactose in them, but we've used the Hyland's gel and it works awesome. We've also tried Camilia (which is also homeopathic) and that works even better!

About peds not recommending Hylands--honestly I wouldn't listen to them. Pediatricians are great, but they are not overly knowledgeable  when it comes to homeopathic meds. Hyland's fixed the issue with the "problem" ingredient. And honestly, if you know anything about homeopathic medicines, the ingredients in them are SO diluted that even if there was a so called "problem ingredient" I don't think it would ever affect your LO. That's exactly the reason that it's impossible to overdose on them. 

• imageamy21tom:

We can't use the tablets because there is lactose in them, but we've used the Hyland's gel and it works awesome. We've also tried Camilia (which is also homeopathic) and that works even better!

About peds not recommending Hylands--honestly I wouldn't listen to them. Pediatricians are great, but they are not overly knowledgeable  when it comes to homeopathic meds. Hyland's fixed the issue with the "problem" ingredient. And honestly, if you know anything about homeopathic medicines, the ingredients in them are SO diluted that even if there was a so called "problem ingredient" I don't think it would ever affect your LO. That's exactly the reason that it's impossible to overdose on them. 

They're actually very informed about teething tablets.  Teething tablets contain belladonna.  Belladonna is a neurotoxin that was used by the Pygmies on the end of their poison arrows (to kill prey and predators).  Knowing this, and knowing that homeopathic meds are not FDA regulated, I would personally never use teething tablets.  I'm sure most teething tablet batches have small amounts of belladonna (keeping in the mind the typical homeopathic dilution scale), but do you still want to give your kid small amounts of a known neurotoxin?  Also, what if they make a mistake?  What if large amounts of belladonna accidentally make it in the batch?  There could be any number of issues that occur in the production of medications, homeopathic or pharmacologic.  Knowing that, I would rather take my chances on an FDA regulated medication (like Advil).  And I'm not anti herbs and homeopathic treatments.  I just think people should understand the reason why many pediatricians do not want their patients using teething tablets. 

• imageEros:
    imageamy21tom:

We can't use the tablets because there is lactose in them, but we've used the Hyland's gel and it works awesome. We've also tried Camilia (which is also homeopathic) and that works even better!

They're actually very informed about teething tablets.  Teething tablets contain belladonna.  Belladonna is a neurotoxin that was used by the Pygmies on the end of their poison arrows (to kill prey and predators).  Knowing this, and knowing that homeopathic meds are not FDA regulated, I would personally never use teething tablets.  I'm sure most teething tablet batches have small amounts of belladonna (keeping in the mind the typical homeopathic dilution scale), but do you still want to give your kid small amounts of a known neurotoxin?  Also, what if they make a mistake?  What if large amounts of belladonna accidentally make it in the batch?  There could be any number of issues that occur in the production of medications, homeopathic or pharmacologic.  Knowing that, I would rather take my chances on an FDA regulated medication (like Advil).  And I'm not anti herbs and homeopathic treatments.  I just think people should understand the reason why many pediatricians do not want their patients using teething tablets. 

Too much Belladonna was the issue Hyland's had previously, so I totally get where you're coming from. But even when there was "too much" it was still so diluted that it didn't actually harm any babies. It was just less diluted than it should have been. I totally get that things that aren't FDA regulated can be scary, but I don't 100% trust the FDA either. They're full of it on lots of products that are approved...Splenda for instance. If you do research on how it got passed or read Skinny ***: Bun in the Oven, it might make you think twice about the FDA and their standards. But to each their own of course, and I can understand both sides. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"