Natural Birth

Birth Photography? (XP from Oct 2012)

Anyone planning to have a photographer present for their birth? Capturing the whole birth experience seems like a neat concept and something we will appreciate having done years later. . wondering if this is something anyone has done in the past or is planning to do this time around? 
**Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

Re: Birth Photography? (XP from Oct 2012)

• I am a photographer, but have only photographed one birth. Once we changed to a home birth the first thing I did was contact a few local photographers that i occasionally exchange services with to see if anyone would do my birth in exchange for a session. The reason i don't do birth photography is becausr i eould have to price it extremely high. Being on call 24 hours a day for weeks and weeks...then not knowing how long you will spend at the actual birth. Around me birth photography is very expensive for those reasons, but i would have budgeted for it if I couldn't find someone to trade with. I'd definitely start contacting photographers now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Keegan Patrick - Bilateral Clubfeet found at Anatomy Scan. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker www.facebook.com/portraitave

• https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150157647495539.335493.237483775538&type=1&op=40&v&refid=0 Here's the link to the birth I shot. Not sure if it will work, i'm on my phone.

Keegan Patrick - Bilateral Clubfeet found at Anatomy Scan. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker www.facebook.com/portraitave

• Loading the player...
  • imageJessimurph:
    https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150157647495539.335493.237483775538&type=1&op=40&v&refid=0 Here's the link to the birth I shot. Not sure if it will work, i'm on my phone.

Wow those are really good! You are very talented! Thank you for sharing. 

**Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Do it! Wish I had last time.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • My husband and I have a photography company so DH has done all of our births. If you can budget it I would go for it. They are by far my favorite photos.
    Wedding 6.18.04 Cole 11.20.06 Gavin 3.31.08 Parker 07.15.10 Logan 04.03.12
  • I replied to your other post cause I'm due in oct as well. I am a birth photographer and founder of birth photographers.com. It's a free resource for moms to find a birth photog in your area. We already hired ours :). The photos from our last birth are just invaluable to us!!
  • The photographer we have book for our newborn shoot just posted a birth session. Wow...the images are incredible!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes.  I wish I had done it last time but we couldn't afford the large dollar amount usually necessary.  This time around I found a photographer working on a project taking photos of as many births as possible and then eventually creating a coffee table edition book of fine art style birth photos.  She'll do mine for free as long as I release the rights to be used in her book, which I have no problem doing.  Since she's also a wedding photographer, I do run the risk of her not showing up if she has a wedding scheduled for that day so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed. 

I think it's a very personal decision and it's something everybody present needs to be completely comfortable with.   

ETA: Here's the link to our photographer. The birth sessions (there are two) are under "Projects": https://www.sarahtewphotography.com/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our doula for DS offered photopgraphy as an add-on. I'll admit, pictures were not her strong suit. But, she never claimed to be a pro (unlike one doula I know who is a doula and a professional photographer--so cool).

But, I love that we have something. I am considering photography service for this delivery. I am a huge picture person, though.

• Did it with DS. Wasn't even a question of whether or not we'd do it for this baby... we hired the same photographer right away. I deeply regret *not* having professional pictures from DD's birth.

These are the preview pictures from DS's birth:

https://earthmamaphotography.blogspot.com/2010/01/perfect-sunday-afternoon-irving-dallas.html

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• Yep! Here are mine: https://vimeo.com/33702795
    someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

• i had a professional photographer at my birth. i'm lucky b/c she is a dear friend and didn't charge me (and my birth started around breakfast and was finished around lunch). 

i absolutely cherish the pictures! 

• Our Doula photographed during out birth so we have several pictures but I wish we had more. It really is amazing to look back at them and see everything so I would encourage anyone thinking about it to go ahead and have a photographer there. I would make sure that you have someone who understands the process of birth, the last thing you need is to be thrown off your rhythm while in labor. You'll just end up kicking them out of the room.

For our next child, we're already leaning toward a home birth and I'm hoping to have cameras set up around the house to video the process. I forgot so much from labor and am shocked at the things that my husband tells me about. I'd love to have the whole experience to watch later on when I'm not internalizing so much. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageflyer23:

Did it with DS. Wasn't even a question of whether or not we'd do it for this baby... we hired the same photographer right away. I deeply regret *not* having professional pictures from DD's birth.

These are the preview pictures from DS's birth:

https://earthmamaphotography.blogspot.com/2010/01/perfect-sunday-afternoon-irving-dallas.html

INCREDIBLE! 

• My doula took amazing pictures throughout my labor and delivery in addition to writing labor notes.  I plan on using them along with some of the video that my mom took to make a birth story video.  I won't be sharing it but want it to look back on years later.  I miss not having pictures of the birth process with my first daughter.  I would probably not hire a photographer though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"