2nd Trimester

Designer maternity jeans worth it?

Hi Ladies! I can't wait to join you but in the mean time could use your advice. I am very bloated and eating like crazy to ward off nausea so I cannot really fit in my normal jeans. Embarrassed

I want to buy one pair of designer maternity jeans - these Citizens of Humanity ones. I know they are expensive but generally I am pretty frugal and I want to feel and look good when I am pregnant. So if you have some, any brand, are they worth it? And when can you start wearing them? I know I don't have a bump yet but would they work? Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Designer maternity jeans worth it?

• just make sure you get a chance to try them on beforehand.  i bought some 7 for All Mankind maternity jeans on Ebay and they never fit right in any trimester, nor post-baby.  luckily i didn't pay full price - who knows, maybe they were fake and that's why.  my favorite maternity jeans actually came from Old Navy, and again, your body changes through your whole pregnancy, so they looked the best on me my last trimester.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got a couple pairs at Macy's in their maternity section. They fit great and were totally worth the money. I got a deal they had going for buy a pair get the second pair half priced so look for deals! I wish I would have gotten myself into the maternity jeans sooner it's such a relief.
                                                                Zayne born July 2012

Pregnancy Ticker      

• Loading the player...
  • My favorite maternity jeans hands down are the ones I bought from Motherhood. They have fit perfectly since I bought them around 13 weeks and they seem to stretch in all the right places. They're not cheap, but neither are they designer. They are super comfy though and will be a bit upset when I have to go back to my pre-pregnancy jeans because I LOVE them!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Holy Cripes they're like 200 bucks! 
    They'd be the only pair i'd own if I had to pay that much for jeans for 6 months max. 
    I can only speak for myself, and I'm quite frugal, but I wouldn't spend over 60 for a pair of jeans (maternity or otherwise) 
    8/27/10 MC at 14 wks ~ 5/22/11 David was Stillborn at 23 wks Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I have a pair of $5.99 maternity skinnies from Forever 21 that are my run out the door, casual whatever jeans, but oh my goodness I could be pregnant forever in my J Brand maternity skinnies.  They were worth every last designer penny, perfect fit, stretch in all the right places - they probably fit better than my J Brand regular skinnies.

I totally get why some people are anti-designer brands and think the expense is wasteful, but I'm big on spending my money where it counts and not buying the same things over and over again.  I appreciate quality and take care of my clothing, so spending $200+/- on a pair of jeans that will last for years (and multiple pregnancies) doesn't bother me in the least.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • considering the amount of time you'd use them, no. 

you can get some really cute, chic jeans for way cheaper. i got a pair of pea in the pod jeans on sale for $50 and they fit really cute!

• imagenerdbaby:

I have a pair of $5.99 maternity skinnies from Forever 21 that are my run out the door, casual whatever jeans, but oh my goodness I could be pregnant forever in my J Brand maternity skinnies.  They were worth every last designer penny, perfect fit, stretch in all the right places - they probably fit better than my J Brand regular skinnies.

I totally get why some people are anti-designer brands and think the expense is wasteful, but I'm big on spending my money where it counts and not buying the same things over and over again.  I appreciate quality and take care of my clothing, so spending $200+/- on a pair of jeans that will last for years (and multiple pregnancies) doesn't bother me in the least.  

I am 100% with you on this! I have the forever skinnies but they do not even compare to my Joe's skinnies. I live in those or my AG bootcut jeans. I also understand not wanting to spend the money but I personally feel like I will get my moneys worth and they fit perfectly. I'd rather have 2-3 pairs that fit perfect than a bunch of cheap ones that are just ehh. I also have to say that for me, full panel is the way to go!  

• Not to mention, if you take good care of them, you can practically make your money back on ebay once your done with pregnancy. I know I will have at least one more after this one!
  • I'm not one to skimp on clothes (just dropped $600 on maternity clothes today, I HATE feeling like I have nothing to wear that I like). I've found maternity jeans to be a different bear than regular jeans. The fit isn't so particular since a large part of getting your jeans to fit right is in the waist, rise, and hips. Maternity jeans kinda take all of that out of the equation (in my maternity jeans experiences thus far). I've found that I've found a larger variety of jeans that I like than I do with regular jeans.

Get them if you want them and if they'll make you feel good/confident, but don't feel like they are a must have. Try on some of the options at Motherhood, Pea in the Pod, Gap, etc. and see what you think.

• imageHeavenisaplace:

Hi Ladies! I can't wait to join you but in the mean time could use your advice. I am very bloated and eating like crazy to ward off nausea so I cannot really fit in my normal jeans. Embarrassed

I want to buy one pair of designer maternity jeans - these Citizens of Humanity ones. I know they are expensive but generally I am pretty frugal and I want to feel and look good when I am pregnant. So if you have some, any brand, are they worth it? And when can you start wearing them? I know I don't have a bump yet but would they work? Thanks!

I have 2 pairs of citizens and they are worth every penny! You can not even tell they are maternity jeans and they look great with everything. I just started wearing mine this weekend. They would work with no bump too, I fold down the extra support anyway which is what you could do right now.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't pay that much. I just bought 2 pairs of maternity jeans (one pair of Sevens and another from Motherhood) in GREAT condition from Goodwill for $10.
  • When at the end of week 19, my regular low-rise skinny pants/jeans were beginning to feel a little tight, I went and tried on maternity jeans at the GAP and Pea in the Pod.

I have only the baby bump, I have not gained weight otherwise. For some reason that GAP assumes that I have expanded all over-- I went down to a size 26 (I am normally a 27-28) and still thought that they did not fit my butt and thighs well and did not want to stay up. Those were 60 dollar jeans

Then I went to Pea in the Pod and tried on several styles of designer maternity skinny jeans. They have the normal jean styles that have been modified by pea in the pod with the most amazing stretchy thin panel. So the sizes are as you would expect. The panel is so stretchy, they should work and stay up even without a bump. I would still recommend trying them on first though if you can.

I ended up with some AG stilt jeans. They are really cute and feel like I am wearing pajamas. 'Nuff said. 

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• I wouldn't.  But I changed sizes a lot throughout my last pregnancy..which I did not expect.  I actually have a bunch of maternity clothes that I bought at the beginning of my last pregnancy that still have tags, because I never wore them. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I got ones at Motherhood Maternity. They were 55$ (that is the most I have ever spent on a pair of jeans....ever!), but they are well worth it. I can definitely see myself getting good use out of them & they're super comfy. Also, they NEVER fall down, which is a godsend.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Elonah [3], Bentley [1]

BabyFruit Ticker
  • If you have a Burlington Coat Factory near you, go there for maternity jeans! I have been everywhere for them and they have the best styles AND price! The brands I have gotten from there are Denim Diva, Oh! Mamma, and Belly By Design.. All priced for under $20.00 per pair! In the malls you will spend anywhere from $30-60 each!
  • Those are nice jeans. I think I tried them on but since I don't spend that kind of money on my regular jeans, I just couldn't justify spending that much on jeans that I'll be wearing for less than a year. I ended up getting my jeans from Motherhood -- good value, nice variety of styles, and a few of them came with a petite cut, which I need.

But like PP said, if you can afford them and they make you happy, go for it! I'm sure you won't regret it. Do what you must to feel good, look good, etc. 

If you are worried they won't stay up in the early part of your pregnancy, invest in a Bella Band. They're stretchy but with just enough grab to keep your pants up. I'm at 30 weeks and I still need my BB to keep my jeans up.

• irerirer member
    I had a pair of Citizens when I was pg with ds, but I pretty much ruined the bottoms (never got them hemmed) so I tossed them. This time I  just got a pair from Topshop.  They look better on me actually, anyway. I don't wear jeans often enough to justify another pair of Citizens this time when I think the Topshop pair will do the trick.  Go for it, though, if you like them! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I bought a pair of Citizens from A Pea in the Pod and I never liked the way they fit! I felt like I was constantly pulling them up. And the butt stretched out right away after a wearing them. My sister-in-law got a pair of designer jeans and felt the same way about hers as well. She loved her jeans from old navy so much more! I'd say try out the cheaper ones first.
  • Yes, they are worth it.  There's a reason why they're so expensive... because they fit like a glove and make you look damn sexy/skinny in the process.  If this is your first pregnancy, BUY THEM.  You will certainly get your money's worth.  You can even wear them for a few months post-partum. So for 2+ kids, you're getting 2-3 years out of them.

I have 2 pairs of Joe's (jeans and khaki's) and 1 pair of Pea in the Pod jeans and OMG.  Such a difference.  The rest of my jeans are from the GAP, and while they're nice, there's really no comparison to the comfort, fit, and quality. 

Again, I'd buy them. 

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• I think they're worth it.  I'm one who always buys designer jeans though, pregnant or not.  In my opinion, they just fit so much better than any cheaper jeans I've ever tried on and are so much more flattering.  For this pregnancy, I bought a pair of AG skinnies and a pair of Joe's.  Love them. 
  • I am not much into labels anymore so I wouldn't think it's worth the cost to only wear them a few months.  I don't really plan to buy many maternity clothes period though.  It's not a priority for me nor is my butt looking good in a pair of jeans.  Jeans are jeans and I'd rather go for a cheap pair that looks decent on me (meaning not baggy) and fit well.
    CRAFTY ME

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    my read shelf:
    Kasi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • jw87jw87 member
    I bought some great jeans at JCPenny last week for only $25 and I couldn't believe it!  I love them.  Most jeans I buy are at at least $60 that actually fit me good. 

ps. They look and fit just like the ones you are about to buy. 
  • Are you planning on more babies?  If so, then yes...if not, then no...although i sit here 4 months after having my LO still wearing maternity clothes because my regular pants won't fit yet...sooo...there's that.

Start wearing them now that you're uncomfortable...you'll be glad you did, because feeling better is half of feeling like you look good. If they're still loose, you can get a belly band, they sell them at Target to keep them up...or to keep your current pants up during this transition phase as well.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • I bought a pair of Joe's when I was barely showing and I wore those jeans right up until two days before I had my daughter. They always looked good, no matter how much my figure changed! I passed them on to a friend when she got pregnant and she wore them for her entire pregnancy too. The jeans are now being worn by another friend who is 6 months pregnant and they are still in great shape. They were definitely the most expensive thing I bought but they were so worth it to always have something to wear that I could feel good in. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"