March 2012 Moms

Naming Rant

While I respect that other folks have their names picked out for their offspring before they are born (and you lot have picked out some REALLY great ones, I might add), I'm getting really, really tired of people I know locally getting on my case for not being immediately forthcoming with names we've chosen for our son. We don't want to settle on a name until we've met him; it's just how we feel. I would REALLY LOVE IT if people would respect that. *grumble*

This came up because the nickname we have for the baby is "Frodogeek." It began with a cosplay seamstress friend naming him "Protogeek" when we first told everyone about his existence. Then, at the 20 week ultrasound, we got a really great shot of his feet. . .and they were HUGE! When we shared them with our friends, a few of the sci-fi/fantasy authors I know exclaimed, "YOU'RE HAVING A HOBBIT!" Thus, the name Frodogeek was born.

Now, people are threatening to call him Frodo or Fred once he's born unless we share what names we've picked. I have no idea why, but this bothers the snot out of me, and makes me very, very stabby. -_-

Amanda D. in NC Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Naming Rant

• imagewidowspeak:

We don't want to settle on a name until we've met him

This is what we've decided. Yuck to people threatening to call him something. WTH is their problem!

Working, Breastfeeding, Unmedicated Birthing Mother of Two.

The feet that started it all, for those who are curious. (Personally, I love my son's feet already! Big Smile )

• Loading the player...
  • imageChristinaBargholz:
    imagewidowspeak:

We don't want to settle on a name until we've met him

This is what we've decided. Yuck to people threatening to call him something. WTH is their problem!

The same brain malfunction that makes them give out unsolicited, unnecessary advice every. single. time. I post about ANYTHING pregnancy related? *lol*

Now, one of the names we've picked my dad just DOES NOT LIKE. As a result, he's pretty much decided he'll probably call his grandson by his middle name if that's the one we wind up choosing when all is said and done. However, that's different; this is his GRANDCHILD. While it might annoy me that he doesn't like the name I've picked, it's still well within his rights to not use it, as long as my son is okay with it when he gets old enough to care. These other random people? STFU, JERKFACES.  Super Angry

• I get it - it's not THE name, so you don't want it floating around your child. We knicknamed ours Vader, as in space invader. Luckily, no one likes it as a real name. We'll be naming our little guy when he comes out and we get a good look at him. This is mostly because we really can't decide!
  • Yeah that's annoying. We don't have a definite name yet either. I call the baby Dewey (surprise surprise) and it has caught on. I don't mind his nickname though. BF hates it though and hopes no one calls the baby Dewey once he's here. 
  • imageDewey12:
    Yeah that's annoying. We don't have a definite name yet either. I call the baby Dewey (surprise surprise) and it has caught on. I don't mind his nickname though. BF hates it though and hopes no one calls the baby Dewey once he's here. 

Oh, sorry, didn't mean to misrepresent my stance; we LOVE his nickname! Big Smile Among our more sane, level-headed friends, they even got special onesies and bibs with "Frodogeek" on them. (One reads, "They call me "Frodogeek. . ." with a picture of Sting, Bilbo's sword from The Hobbit, underneath. Another has a 20-sided die on it and reads, "Frodogeek: Automatic +1 to Awesome." LOVE IT!)

It just annoys me that people are trying to use it to strong arm me into doing something I don't want to do. (Not sure if it's been made evident, but I really dislike being strong-armed. *lol*)

• We haven't told anyone what we're planning to call LO, primarily because I'm not interested in hearing about how so and so had an ex-girlfriend, former coworker, high school rival, next door neighbor, etc... was  named [baby's name] whom they just hated and so we can't possibly call baby that name. Plus, people are generally more likely to openly hate a name when it isn't already attached to a baby.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We're in the same boat. While I'd love nothing more than to have a name picked out for our little guy (we did with DD and called her Sasha the entire pregnancy), we just can't seem to decide: DH loves one name and is ok on one I like better, so we'll see who "wins". Every time we're around other people (and I mean every single time), the name conversation comes up and then people proceed to tell me we need to have a name picked out. Last weekend, at my aunt and uncle's house, my cousins were being silly and throwing out random made-up names from Game of Thrones, which was pretty funny at first, but then it was just ridiculous. We're obviously not going to name our kid something unpronounceable! So I've decided to just deal with it for the next few weeks. My parents and ILs are coming over this weekend for dinner, so that should be interesting, lol.

• Just tell them its perfectly fine to call him anything they please becasue they will probably never ever get to meet your LO..,, and if and when they do, they will be introduced by whatever name you choose to GIVE them...  so if they don't want to be introduced to your child as "the pushy *** who annoyed the crap out of mommy" they might want to rethink their stance and wait patiently. Wink

Our buttmunch has had a name from way early on.. I tell people who I want to know and the others just get told yes we have a name for him if asked... they assume we aren't telling anyone.. Nope.. just not telling you cos its none of your business lol.

Makes me laugh how many random ass people at work want to give me their email or phn number so I can send them pics of LO when he gets here.. erm ok.. like why would I care if you get to see my son? One lady, who I do actually like... but still... actually called him "my grandson" the other day .. REALLY .. you don't think I have enough people trying to claim my baby without co-workers doing it too haha

• You name your baby what you want! I decided on my little girls name long before I was pregnant. People didn't like it, but I told them "Well it was either Pnina or $hithead" ($hithead is an actual name pronounced Shhh-thed). I have an extremely common name and then in school there were always 3 other people with the same name and so we had to do nicknames or go buy the first letter of our last name and so on. My name is a unisex name because my dad didn't want to believe the doctors when they said I was a girl...so I wanted my daughter to have a special name that was unique and celebrated her Jewish heritage, because Pnina is Hebrew for pearl.

I had a friend who did that you're doing and that worked out for her and her DH and they named their beautiful little girl Olivia! You do what works for you! Don't let anyone get you down at all! Those people who don't want to respect your choices for your child don't need to speak to you at all, or that's what I would tell them! I'm mean like that though...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • People are getting on my nerves too about wanting to know the name.  I wish they could just respect that we do not wish to share the name and that they will find out soon enough.
    TTC since July 2010 Diagnosed with PCOS January 2011 BFP July 13, 2011!!! Born March 12, 2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagedigwriter:
    We haven't told anyone what we're planning to call LO, primarily because I'm not interested in hearing about how so and so had an ex-girlfriend, former coworker, high school rival, next door neighbor, etc... was  named [baby's name] whom they just hated and so we can't possibly call baby that name. Plus, people are generally more likely to openly hate a name when it isn't already attached to a baby.

Exactly.  They ask and I evasively say "We're not settled yet.  We'll name her when we meet her, just like we did with Riley."  Then they act like we're idiot parents who haven't even thought about it.  Yeah we've thought about it.  No, it's not your business.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagedigwriter:
    We haven't told anyone what we're planning to call LO, primarily because I'm not interested in hearing about how so and so had an ex-girlfriend, former coworker, high school rival, next door neighbor, etc... was  named [baby's name] whom they just hated and so we can't possibly call baby that name. Plus, people are generally more likely to openly hate a name when it isn't already attached to a baby.

Oh, lordy, I know exactly what that feels like. It was the main reason I stopped discussing names altogether with anyone other than my parents and my in-laws. It's bad enough that the hubs had a problem with practically every single name I came up with for our boy (when we thought we were having a girl, he loved pretty much all the names I found, *lol*). Other people's unsolicited opinions were just too damn much. 

• imageLisichka:

We're in the same boat. While I'd love nothing more than to have a name picked out for our little guy (we did with DD and called her Sasha the entire pregnancy), we just can't seem to decide: DH loves one name and is ok on one I like better, so we'll see who "wins". Every time we're around other people (and I mean every single time), the name conversation comes up and then people proceed to tell me we need to have a name picked out. Last weekend, at my aunt and uncle's house, my cousins were being silly and throwing out random made-up names from Game of Thrones, which was pretty funny at first, but then it was just ridiculous. We're obviously not going to name our kid something unpronounceable! So I've decided to just deal with it for the next few weeks. My parents and ILs are coming over this weekend for dinner, so that should be interesting, lol.

Oh, good grief. *facepalm* That's right up there with the friends who are insisting we name our son Nicola Tesla Lastname. The unfortunate bit is that someone I am no longer friends with (for stupid reasons, but that's another post *lol*) legally changed her name to Firstname Nicola-Tesla Marriedname when she got married. I can't bring myself to name my kid something that reminds me of someone leaving my life for what really should have been a non-issue. *sigh*

• imageWipz:

Just tell them its perfectly fine to call him anything they please becasue they will probably never ever get to meet your LO..,, and if and when they do, they will be introduced by whatever name you choose to GIVE them...  so if they don't want to be introduced to your child as "the pushy *** who annoyed the crap out of mommy" they might want to rethink their stance and wait patiently. Wink

Our buttmunch has had a name from way early on.. I tell people who I want to know and the others just get told yes we have a name for him if asked... they assume we aren't telling anyone.. Nope.. just not telling you cos its none of your business lol.

Makes me laugh how many random ass people at work want to give me their email or phn number so I can send them pics of LO when he gets here.. erm ok.. like why would I care if you get to see my son? One lady, who I do actually like... but still... actually called him "my grandson" the other day .. REALLY .. you don't think I have enough people trying to claim my baby without co-workers doing it too haha

Wipz, you are BRILLIANT! I should TOTALLY tell people that when they get out of line. Thank you. Big Smile

And man, some of your coworkers are BSC. I would stay far, far away! O.o

• imageMotherMonster:

You name your baby what you want! I decided on my little girls name long before I was pregnant. People didn't like it, but I told them "Well it was either Pnina or $hithead" ($hithead is an actual name pronounced Shhh-thed). I have an extremely common name and then in school there were always 3 other people with the same name and so we had to do nicknames or go buy the first letter of our last name and so on. My name is a unisex name because my dad didn't want to believe the doctors when they said I was a girl...so I wanted my daughter to have a special name that was unique and celebrated her Jewish heritage, because Pnina is Hebrew for pearl.

I had a friend who did that you're doing and that worked out for her and her DH and they named their beautiful little girl Olivia! You do what works for you! Don't let anyone get you down at all! Those people who don't want to respect your choices for your child don't need to speak to you at all, or that's what I would tell them! I'm mean like that though...

That's a beautiful name, Monster. Big Smile You chose well, I think. (I do have a soft spot for Hebrew names. I'm a Jew by association; first, by my adoptive dad (long story, there) and by my husband. Wink ) It really all does boil down to doing what works for you. Just wish more people were open-minded about it, like you ladies.

• imagemattscountrygirl:
    People are getting on my nerves too about wanting to know the name.  I wish they could just respect that we do not wish to share the name and that they will find out soon enough.

I know, right? You and I aren't that far apart in our due dates; can't people just be patient??? Hmm

• If you want to be really mean.. tell then you are naming your LO after a VERY close, much loved relative who died a tragically horrific death and give them the wierdest name you can think of... I dare one of them to comment... LOL

Mean........ but  only the most insensitive mother F*cker would make a negative comment to your face.. and suggest a different name.  I bet their face would be priceless as they tried real hard not to grimace at the name you give them...

<< has an evil sense of humor Devil
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"