2nd Trimester

Gallbladder Problems

Hi Everyone I am new to posting but I recently realized that I might be having some Gallbladder problems and was wondering if anyone knows much about this during pregnancy and has any suggestions?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Gallbladder Problems

• My husband has his removed last year...it was making him VERY sick.  Obvously he wasn't pregnant.  This is something you should definitely see your Dr about though.
    So happy for my BFPB Steff13914 and her new twins! Welcome to the world sweet babies:) Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had my gallbladder out 1.5 years ago.

How do you know it's your gallbladder? You may have a UTI or another issue. Whatever your symptoms are go to your doctor.

Most people dont necessarily "know" they are having gallbladder issues... just GI issues.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageAshleyR711:

I had my gallbladder out 1.5 years ago.

How do you know it's your gallbladder? You may have a UTI or another issue. Whatever your symptoms are go to your doctor.

Most people dont necessarily "know" they are having gallbladder issues... just GI issues.

Yes, actually if you've ever had a gallbladder attack, you know that you are having one. Also, you would not ever mistake a galbladder issue with a UTI. two very different things.

OP, call your provider and talk to whoever is on call. If you have gallstones it can become very serious.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Hello,

I have been having gallbladder problems throughout this pregnancy.  I learned that 15% of pregnant women get them because of the increased hormones.  You can talk to your OB but mine did not have much advice to give except to avoid fat.  I have been very rigid with my diet since we identified that my pain was gallbladder.  I eat next to no fat now and have been ok.  If I eat even a little fat (like on onion ring out at a group dinner), I have an attack.  I also drink a lot of water.

The only thing to do it avoid fat.  I may get it removed after delivery if I continue to get attacks.

Hope this helps.

• I had my gall bladder removed when I was 14 years old. I wasn't pregnant but considering I was young, they sent me to Children's Hospital. After you have the baby, I wouldn't be too freaked out about having it removed. They use 4 or 5 small incisions to take it out. The recovery time is very fast (granted I was a kid but still). Before I had it removed, I had to limit all sorts of foods but especially soda. The carbonation seemed to cause GB attacks. Also foods like raw broccoli that produce a lot of gases in your stomach bothered me a lot.
  • Thank you so much this was so helpful that is pretty much what my doc told me as well... I just feel like I must not be doing very good at avoiding fats cause the pain under my rib is staying pretty consistent.
  • imageArchhig:
    Hi Everyone I am new to posting but I recently realized that I might be having some Gallbladder problems and was wondering if anyone knows much about this during pregnancy and has any suggestions?

I am very much familiar about Gallbladder problems...I was 21 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child when I starting having them. I ended up in L&D because I had no clue what was going on and was having the worst pain ever. The Surgeon said they could take my gallbladder out then but didn't really want to since I was pregant. Try a Low-fat diet(no fun being preggo) and see if that will get you through. If you have any questions, I'm more than happy to answer!!

• I hear that some women can have problems with their gallbadder while pregnant. I had mine out 4 years. The pain was so bad, you know you're having one. The surgery was very quick and easy. I pretty much recovered in about 4 days. Also, try a low fat diet. Fatty foods will set off more attacks. You may want to consider having it removed after LO arrives.
  • I also had my gallbladder out, and my situation was complicated by pancreatitis due to the fact that I kept ignoring the gallbladder attacks (I had like six of them in 4 months, and trust me, there is no mistaking them.)  I developed the pancreatitis because the tubes in my gallbladder became blocked, and so my pancreas (spelling?) became very inflamed, and I was put on dialysis b/c my kidneys started to shut down and I had toxic shock. 

So.... don't ignore if you think you are having GB attacks.  When I had my last attack, all I had had to eat was a piece of toast with jam.  Literally.  It may not be controllable with diet alone.  But the surgery is super simple, and so is the recovery.  I was in the ICU for a week before surgery b/c I was so sick.  I had the surgery and I went home the next day.  IDK what the situation is with pregnancy, but the gallbladder is no where near your uterus.... I would ask. 

• I'm 25 weeks and started having the same gallbladder issues around 22ish weeks.  After my last attack, I went to the doctor thinking it was really bad heartburn - she told me that it was indeed a gallbladder attack.. fun stuff!  Its awful - like... this is supposed to be the time when you CAN eat fatty foods and not feel awful about it... but noooo my angry gallbladder wants me to eat toast.  Awesome. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"