Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Any experienced big parents with big babies?

My boyfriend and I are both fairly larger people. I'm about 5'7'' and 270lbs and my boyfriend is 6'2'' and about 200lbs. I never expected this child to be small, however I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar experience. It seems a logical conclusion; genetically the child will just probably be larger, but my concern is my BF's head didn't fit with his mama. haha I'm larger than his mom so my first thought was, this baby will fit, then I started thinking.. I'm larger... I have more room for this kid to grow!

I also am wondering because my BF is convinced we're not going to need newborn diapers or newborn clothes. I'm leaning towards bringing some just in case.  Am I being ridiculous?

JFYI: BF was almost 23inches at birth and nearly 10lbs. I was 8.8lbs and 22 inches. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Any experienced big parents with big babies?

• Options
    My DD was 9lbs, 3 oz, 21.5 inches long.  She fit in newborn diapers and clothes, not for long, but she did for about 3 weeks I think.  This time, my DS was 9 lbs 10 oz 21 inches.  He did not fit into newborn diapers but technically fit into newborn clothes.  I had both mine vaginally, did tear with my DD but not DS even though he was bigger.  I also am 5'7".   HTH Smile
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Personally, I'm not sure if it matters. I'm 5'4", generally around 145lbs before I was pregnant...I was 8lbs 2oz when I was born. My husband is 5'10" and weighs around 285...he was only like 7lbs 10oz when he was born. Our son was born weighing 8lbs 12oz (bigger than both of us were) and 22" long (longer than both of us were at birth).

We needed both newborn diapers and clothes for close to a month, but didn't have any, since everyone convinced us we wouldn't need them. So I'd have at least a pack of newborn diapers and a few newborn outfits that you can return if you don't need them.

Also, my husband and I both have rather large heads and our son is only in like the 25th percentile for his head size. You just never know!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would not worry about it.  I am only 5'10" and was about 138lbs pre-pregnancy and delivered an 11lb, 6oz baby boy vaginally.  I have fully recovered and mom and baby are doing well.  Best advice, is to just not worry about it.  My boy did skip over newborn diapers and clothes all together.
  • Options
    I'm larger and so is my dh. Lo was 8 lbs 14 oz and at 3 months us in 6 month clothing. That being said... It's not the best indicator. I had a larger friend give birth to a 6 Lb baby
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My husband is 6'7", 250 lb.  He was 11 lb. 4 oz., 24" at birth.  I am 5'8" and was 130 lb. pre-pregancy.  I was only 7 lb. 1 oz. at birth.  I was able to deliver our 9 lb. 5 oz. son vaginally, with the help of a vacuum.

Our baby ended up averaging out between the two of us, but in reality he could've gone either way.  He could've leaned towards my genes and been average, or towards my husband and could've been born even bigger than he was. You just never know!

I wouldn't buy any newborn clothes or diapers just yet.  We didn't and saved tons of money that way, because our LO couldn't fit into any newborn clothes (carter's NB clothes only go up to 8 lb.).  He did wear the NB diapers the hospital gave us, but only for a week.  If your baby needs them when he's born, you can always send somebody out to get things, or maybe borrow them from someone else?  Plus people always buy clothes for the baby after he's born.  You can tell them to get NB things if you need them. 

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"