Breastfeeding
Options

couple of general questions

I'm 21 wks with my second DS, and I am determinded to bfeed this time around. I think I'm more prepared of what to expect this time just have a few questions. First, does any of those lactating foods work. I saw they have a cookie and tea, I was just curious about if it worked for anybody and if not if they would know of anything. Second, I understand that it might not flow right away and could take up to several days. In the mean time what am I suppose to feed DS? He has to eat something if I'm not producing enough. I will ask these questions when the time comes but I was thinking I could ask someone with experience first, if any is in this thread.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: couple of general questions

• Options

Ask away! That's why we are here.

First, does any of those lactating foods work. I saw they have a cookie and tea, I was just curious about if it worked for anybody and if not if they would know of anything.

Some people have had some success using these. Not everyone. I think anything is worth a shot if you are having supply issues. I would try not to dive into BF thinking the worst- nurse your baby very often- the more nipple stimulation your body gets, the more milk you make (usually). A friend of mine took fenugreek to help  her supply and noticed a mild improvement. Another was on Reglan but there are some long term side effects and taking it is not a decision to make lightly (she stopped after a few weeks on it).

Second, I understand that it might not flow right away and could take up to several days. In the mean time what am I suppose to feed DS?

Your colostrum is probably already in- or will be toward your 3rd trimester. That is all your baby needs for the first few days of his life. It is full of fat, nutrients, and everything a newborn needs. He will drink that until your milk comes in- nurse constantly in his early days. He will crave being close to you and the suckling will help your milk to come in. Mine came in on day 5- it is normal for NBs to lose weight those first few days, so if it means the world to you not to use formula, then make that very clear when you enter the hospital.

The colostrum is quite interesting, it's very sticky and it's yellow, but it helps move the meconium out of baby's system and it's just the perfect food for baby's belly for those early days! 

There are some really helpful books out there- the nursing mother's companion is a good one that gives a good overview of BF. Also, seek out the help of an LC or a LLL group for support in your early weeks. BF is so hard. It's the hardest thing I have ever learned how to do, honestly. The support meant everything to me in the first month of DS's life.

GL!!

• Options
    Your milk should come in between 3 and 5 days postpartum. Until then, your body will produce colostrum. It's not much (in quantity) but the health benifits to your baby are huge! Baby's stomach is about the size of a cherry, at that time, so it literally only takes a few drops to fill it. If at all possible do not give formula. Put baby to breast as often as they want. Frequent nursing is going to be the best thing to bring in your milk and and ensure that it's adequate when it does come in. The vast majority of women will have no problem making enough milk to feed thier babies, provided that they are EBFing. Supplementing (especially in those early days) can really mess things up for you so it's best to just not do it, if possible. I learned this the hard way with DD1. Just nurse as often as your baby wants and they will get enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"