Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Breastfeeding and Pumping/Bottle Feeding Question

Hi Ladies!  I was wondering how it is working out for those of you who are breastfeeding and also pumping/bottle feeding breast milk (not formula) to your LO.  Do they seem to be ok with doing both?  I'm a little nervous about pumping and then bottle feeding because I am afraid my DD will only want to bottle feed once we start.  Any insight?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Breastfeeding and Pumping/Bottle Feeding Question

• Well I waited until my LO was almost 6 wks before we introduced bottles. Our pedi told us to wait to make sure the breastfeeding relationship was well established. He goes back and forth between breast and bottle with no problems. 
    BFP 7/27/10, no hb discovered 9/3/10, natural m/c 9/17/10
    BFP #2- 2/1/11,bleeding- 2/6/11, natural m/c @ 5wks
    BFP #3- 4/29/11 - DS born 12/31/11
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    TTCAL buddies with LilMaggs and psumel13
  • I have been doing a combination of both since LO was born.  My supply didn't come in until about 3 weeks after she was born, and required me to take fenugreek and domperidone, so my baby needed some formula until I could produce enough.  However, I haven't needed to give her any for almost 3 weeks now.  I breastfeed during the day and she gets bottles at night and it works great.  We have had no issues with nipple confusion at all, she just adjusts her suck for whatever nipple is in her mouth ( mine, bottle, paci).  I use Tommee Tippee and she loves them. The wide base helps keep her making that big mouth needed for BF'ing.  She does not take in much air with these nipples and when we bottle her at night, it takes her about 15-20 minutes to take in 4 ounces so she isn't getting lazy.  I know that medela makes a bottling system called calma, and from what I read, it is great for BF'ing babies.  No milk comes out unless the baby sucks it. Do some research into what brand you want to try.  All of them claim to be "closest to breastfeeding", however when I did my research, the only nipple I found to look at all like a breast is Tommee Tippee.  And if LO doesn't take to the bottle right away, you make need to try other brands. Babies can be fussy about which bottle they use. And have someone else feed baby the first few times.  Good Luck 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I did my first pumping yesterday and let my DH feed him. He took it just fine at 3 weeks old and went straight to breast with no problem after. I also used the Tomee Tippee bottles.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS still won't latch properly so we bf with a shield then I pump and he gets the rest in a bottle.  It seems to be working okay for us and I like that DH can feed him, too. 
    Photobucket

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • DD has been getting a bottle of pumped milk once a day since she was 3 weeks old and she's never had an issue.  For the first month or so, only DH gave her the bottle and since then I have a couple of times with no issue.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• I started pumping and using bottles about 50% of the time at 3 weeks and it was simple. My babe still prefers the boob. She gets so excited that her eyes open super wide and she pretty much pants. It is hilarious. But she has never refused breast or bottle.
  • i was told by a LC to wait until LO was 3 or 4 weeks old until i gave him a bottle or paci since i was breast feeding. he had no prob transitioning from bottle to paci to breast when i introduced everything to him.  but i did wait the 3 or 4 weeks before i gave him anything besides boob. it was nice to be able to do that, b/c i got worn out being the only one that could feed him.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We introduced a bottle at 2 weeks & DS has no problem. We do 1 bottle per day & use Tommee Tippee. He actually prefers the breast.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I give mine a pumped bottle only when I'm spending the day out. My LO has no problem with switching what-so-ever. He kinda put himself on a schedule with feeding though so it makes it super easy for me. Its all about finding what works for you though. GL!
  • Our little one is only a week old today. She has an extremely strong sucking reflex and I physically can't feed her more than twice a day from my breast. To let my breast heal, I'm solely pumping and feeding her from a bottle right now. I plan to let her breast feed again today and will update as soon as I see how she does. She had no problem on previous days so I don't forsee any issues!! GL!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had one night when the lil guy was totally going crazy, so I immediately pumped and gave him a bottle, which he took with no problem at less than one week. I didn't want to introduce the bottle that early, but we didn't really have any latching or BF problems, so I tried it. Now I give him one bottle during the middle of the night (and pump while I'm feeding it to him) -- he drinks it faster and so I can get him right back to sleep. I also think he may drink more from the bottle than the breast. It's great because he now will take breast or bottle -- so I have a little freedom. Good luck -- my advice is to try the bottle early -- otherwise she may not take it because she'll like the breast so much :)
  • imageMrsT2008:
    DD has been getting a bottle of pumped milk once a day since she was 3 weeks old and she's never had an issue.  For the first month or so, only DH gave her the bottle and since then I have a couple of times with no issue.
    This

Lilypie - (ovfd)

• I have a really low supply and was supplementing with a bottle of formula a day for the first week or two (thankfully we're down to BM only - yay!) and I also used a nipple shield for the first week. She also needs to suck constantly and uses a pacifier. So she's had all kinds of nipples so far! We haven't had a problem with nipple confusion, she takes them all fine. We use Playtex Nurser bottles.
    Cambria, Keira, and Bonnie Quinn
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"