2nd Trimester

A gift that I didn't want...Pregnancy Bible

So, I'm not sure if I'm being hormonal or if this is legit!  DH is away, so he can't be the judge. 

My Dad & Stepmom wanted to get me a pregnancy book as a gift, so my stepmom asked if I had any books in mind.  I really wanted WTEWE & Pregnancy Week by Week, that's it!  When I told her this, she said her daughter used The Pregnancy Bible and just bought it for a friend.  I sort of shrugged it off and told her I had never heard of it, but these two (that I suggested) are supposed to be the best!  2 weeks go by and what arrives in my mailbox?  The Pregnancy Bible!  This is not what I wanted!  Not that I'm ungrateful or anything because it's a gift...that's all great, thanks.  But I work full time and I'm trying to study for my Personal Training Certification which I have to complete by May, so I don't have time to leisurely read a 300+ page book (in addition to the 2 that I actually want).  PLUS, why even ask what I want when you've already made up your mind for me?  I would have purchased the $9 WTEWE 2 weeks ago! 

I'm just glad that they are on vacation for 4 weeks, so I don't have to Thank them yet.  Am I being hormonal and irrational?  And please provide your thoughts on this book, if you've read it...or have even heard of it! 

I'll have to pretend to have a glass of wine tonight!

Thanks!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: A gift that I didn't want...Pregnancy Bible

• I love the Pregnancy Bible!  If what you're most interested in is the week by week stuff it has a week by week section.  The book covers everything!  I thought it was very informative and not a boring read.  

But I do know what you mean about they why ask if your going to buy what you want anyway.  My MIL does that to me and it drives me crazy...   

• Yes, I think you're being a little hormonal and irrational. It's ok, we've all been there. One gigantic pregnancy manual is not going to be all that different from the next gigantic pregnancy manual. Check this one out. If you don't like it, get another. Also I wouldn't really recommend sitting down and reading any of those kinds of books cover to cover - they're like reference books. You just search for what you need or skim through the time period that you're in.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMolissa10:

Am I being hormonal and irrational? 

Yes. I'd just accept it, say thank you, and either read it or don't. I think you are overreacting. 

• I have both the Pregnancy Bible and What to Expect. I MUCH prefer the former! Can't stand What to Expect. I had to buy the Pregnancy Bible. I would've loved if someone had given it to be as a gift.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You're going to get a TON of gifts you don't want/ didn't ask for. Lots of "advice" too! People mean well...just say thank you and re-gift!  Either that or return it (if you know where she got it) and get some store credit.

When people buy me things I don't want, I almost get excited at how many gift cards I can get when I return everything.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageashcart01:

When people buy me things I don't want, I almost get excited at how many gift cards I can get when I return everything.

My thought exactly!!!  But they live on the other coast, so who knows where it came from. 

Thanks for the info Ladies!  I'm feeling a little less uptight knowing that it's at least a good book!  But if this continues, then the fam & I will have to have to have a little chat. Smile

• I don't think you're overreacting, purely because she sounds like my sister-in-law. "What do you want? Oh, well I heard this is better, and I know better than you, so that's what you're going to get". Maybe I'm hormonal too!

Joining you with the pretend glass of wine and toasting to irritating people. I just downloaded that beer glass app for my phone. 

• Just lurking here, but I had to throw in that my OB actually recommends against WTEWYE. He says it's full of things that are just going to freak out a FTM unnecessarily. 

Ive also talked to several of my mom-friends who have read it, and they say the same thing. 

FWIW, I have a pregnancy book, I'm due tomorrow, and I've not even finished it yet. You will learn a lot just from the boards. :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    212 Facebook Admin.
  • PP- I LOVE the name Aria. It was in our top two! Nice choice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• And I'm sorry but I rolled my eyes at that statement.  Just throw a TY card in the mail and it'll be done with.

This.

And if you want the book you requested that badly, then just go buy it.

Its outrageous to be mad at someone for spending their hard earned money on you.

You're being absolutely ridiculous. And even if you detest the gift, why in the world would you want to avoid thanking them.

Rude.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have all 3 of the books you mentioned and love the Pregnancy Bible the most, by far! Week by Week is ok, but I find it doesnt go as in depth. WTEWYE is terrible. It should be renamed "What to Expect when you're expecting the worst case scenario!!!!". Even though it's a "classic" I dont know a single woman that likes it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageateal2490:

And I'm sorry but I rolled my eyes at that statement.  Just throw a TY card in the mail and it'll be done with.

This.

Its outrageous to be mad at someone for spending their hard earned money on you.

You're being absolutely ridiculous. And even if you detest the gift, why in the world would you want to avoid thanking them.

Rude.

All of this.

Holy crap!!  

• imageateal2490:

10000000% ESPECIALLY over a book! 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • geez, don't be such a moron..just DON'T READ IT if you don't want to! You're a big girl, put a thank you in the mail immediately and go out and buy what you want.  What to Expect is horrible, by the way.  You can learn more from strangers online.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageallisonmarie22:
    imageateal2490:

And I'm sorry but I rolled my eyes at that statement.  Just throw a TY card in the mail and it'll be done with.

This.

Rude.

All of this.

Holy crap!!  

I third all of this.. Geeeeez 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSGC29:
    imageMolissa10:

Am I being hormonal and irrational? 

Yes. I'd just accept it, say thank you, and either read it or don't. I think you are overreacting. 

This.  Settle down, Beavis!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageateal2490:

I said, "Thank them YET".

• Thanks, Ladies! 
  • Ummmm return it?  Exchange it?  If you really want that other book, go buy it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • If it makes you feel any better,  I think WTEWYE kind of sucks.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers natural miscarriages- 12/18/07 & 2/18/13 (AKA:KRISTA555)
  • WTEWYE is a terrible book, total waste of money and time unless you want to be freaked out.  I really wish they'd just take it off the shelves already.

Mayo Clinic book is great, full of factual, not scary information.

books are cheap, you could buy any of those for less than $10.  Also by 2nd tri much of the information is dated anyway, a good chunk of most books covers info for newly pregnant moms and getting through the first trimester.  For good info on childbirth/infant care there are specific books out there for it. 

Gretchen Evie, born 7/8/2012 at 35w5d
  • imageFormerlyKrista555:
    If it makes you feel any better,  I think WTEWYE kind of sucks.
     I do too.  It was the worst pregnancy book I read.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • can you return it and get a credit to buy the book you want?
    lolololo
  • I agree with everyone else and worry for the safety of your future shower guests. Jut return or sell the book. Also, WTEWYE is total crap! It just freaks you out and doesn't help you feel even a little prepared 
    i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • imageSawyerplus1:
    I have all 3 of the books you mentioned and love the Pregnancy Bible the most, by far! Week by Week is ok, but I find it doesnt go as in depth. WTEWYE is terrible. It should be renamed "What to Expect when you're expecting the worst case scenario!!!!". Even though it's a "classic" I dont know a single woman that likes it. 

This exactly.   

• She takes her time and money and sends you a gift for you that is relevant to the baby.  That was kind.  I think you are overreacting big time.  If you are having a shower you might want to prepare yourself beforehand, you will be getting gifts you didn't want or ask for.  I have a relative who gets me awful stuff for the baby, I mean, I don't even know how this stuff is even available for purchase.  I just thank them for their kindness and move on with life.  I am blessed I have those in my life who even want to give me gifts from their heart and I am grateful.  
  • If my MIL did that it would bother me, too.  Everything about her bothers me.  (I'm a big MIL basher).  I'd peruse the book and read whatever strikes me.  I've learned that you can recommend a book and people will either be interested or not.  You can't push books on anybody.  I'm a huge fan of, "Why Men Love B*****s".  I always recommend it to single girlfriends with dating woes, but either they see it as a lame offering for a self-help therapy and reject it or they read it and thank me for passing it along.  I'm going to look up all these books on my kindle and see if I want to get one.  Thanks for the unintentional suggestions! 
    CafeMom Tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"