Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Party favors for 1st birthday party?

Just curious what everyone did for their LO's first birthday party. We kept our daughter's small, but we're hosting 45 people (8 kids) for my niece's & I'm wondering if we should have something to give the adult guests too, besides food. Maybe the memories of planning our wedding a few years ago are making me over think this party.....?

Thanks!

Me: 42, DH: 43. We are so grateful to have a 2yr old daughter, conceived naturally after 3 miscarriages & no treatments (our Dr. gave us 1 more month to try on our own before advacing to IVF, & we conceived her naturally in January 2010)! Trying since April 2011 without sucess....MD said we were both "fine" & that if it wasn't happening, it was a chromosomal issue. Finally started Follistim 225mcg injections with an Ovidrel trigger November 2012. Bleeding 11 days post Ovidrel on November 25th. Starting the whole lab/Ultrasound/Follistim cycle again on November 27th...

Re: Party favors for 1st birthday party?

• no. no, you do not need favors for anyone at a 1st birthday party. The fact that you're even hosting 45 people is over the top. Who is your niece??!
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Definitely not for the adults. I don't even think you need to give the kids a favor, but something small (that goes with the theme of the party) would be nice. 
    View Full Size ImageView Full Size Image
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you!!

I know it sounds over the top but we're making it a big celebration because we've had 4 funerals in our family this year, AND, my brother-in-law's family believed it was bad luck to have a shower before the baby was born so they didn't have one.  We want to celebrate this cute little one, but she's definitely not spoiled at all.

Thank you for giving me the advice. I seriously was starting to worry about getting favors!

Me: 42, DH: 43. We are so grateful to have a 2yr old daughter, conceived naturally after 3 miscarriages & no treatments (our Dr. gave us 1 more month to try on our own before advacing to IVF, & we conceived her naturally in January 2010)! Trying since April 2011 without sucess....MD said we were both "fine" & that if it wasn't happening, it was a chromosomal issue. Finally started Follistim 225mcg injections with an Ovidrel trigger November 2012. Bleeding 11 days post Ovidrel on November 25th. Starting the whole lab/Ultrasound/Follistim cycle again on November 27th...
  • I made cake pops for the adults, but I just like to bake.  Definitely not necessary. =-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We had 36 adults and 10 kids so I don't think your over the top for a 1st birthday. It's a big celebration. We didn't do any favors. We did however have a giant gingerbread man decorating station for the kids and that was what they took home. Her theme was Winter Onederland. Save your money and don't buy the adults anything, they dont want it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Made cake pops to look like snowballs and hot chocolate for each guest...I am a nut...but HUGE hit!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We had about 15 kids and loads of adults over for a casual backyard BBQ type of party. We celebrated for my DS and his/our two friends (twins) who were also turning one. I just had a bunch of Kazoos and some mylar balloons as favors. They didn't go with any theme, but they're things my son loves. Some people really liked them, others left theirs behind. I don't think favors are a big deal and probably wouldn't bother with them if I had it to do over again.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We had chocolate suckers shaped like mustaches (little man party), but only because I wanted to make them. We also had about 45 people for ds's party, but dh & I have very large families. We agreed that next year will be much smaller scale.

• I know it wasn't necessary, but some of the invitees always do favors when they have a party, so I felt I needed to pony up. I went to the Lindt outlet for some seconds bars of chocolate to melt down. I did chocolate lollipops with nonpareilles...and made too many so we could have some. The lollipops were monkeys...she had a curious George party.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We had individually wrapped cake pops, along with a beach ball (deflated), and bubbles for the kids. A lot of adults were bummed they didn't get cake pops to go also, so I kind of felt bad.
    image > Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think favors are always optional, and are much more for the kids than the parents. Last year, we didn't do them. This year, I made these for the kids:

The grown-ups are likely getting nothing, though.

• Our theme was rock n' roll (we had a music teacher come) and the colors for all the decorations, invites, etc were black, white and hot pink.  So I ordered black and white and hot pink and white cookies for everyone including the adults to take home.  And the kids also each got bubbles that were shaped like microphones as well. 

• We had treat bag for the kids and that was it.

In all honesty, I find favors to be a complete waste of money. One never knows what to do with them afterwards.

There are no blurred lines, only jail time

my blog: Inspirationseeker.blogspot.com
  • We just had G's party this last weekend and it was a cookie monster theme. I decorated little take out boxes (or you could do paper bags) with Cookie Monster stickers (I printed them myself on labels at the office because I'm cheap) and a  cute 'Thank You' sticker. Then I just baked a ton of cookies, put them in a few glass bowls and had a cookie buffet as a take home favor/thank you. I did a big pitcher of milk too and it looked cute and was pretty cheap. Plus, I made a bunch of the boxes so I didn't specify that you had to be a kid to take one so plenty of adults left with boxes of cookies. It went with the theme and everyone liked it, plus it was pretty easy and cheap to do. I think food related favors are always a good idea if you're going to do favors at all. That being said I absolutely don't think you're obligated to do favors for a party!

• We had a Valentine's Day themed party last weekend. I made hearts with wax paper, put hersey's kisses and hugs inside and sewed them closed with red yarn. The dogs that attended (my parents and brothers) got a gourmet dog treat. It was a small party just family and like 2 or 3 family friends.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • We did a safari theme and gave the kids a box of animal crackers to take home. Nothing for the adults.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• We did an Elmo themed birthday party for my DD's 1st. For favors, I got a few big boxes of goldfish crackers and made little snack bags for the kids and threw in a small cheap box of crayons. For the babies/toddlers, I also added a cheap sippy cup and for the older kids, bubbles or squirt guns.

Yes, I went overboard. But it really didn't cost that much extra. I found most of it on summer clearance at Walmart.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I hit up the dollar bins at Target and made up some buckets of goodies for the kids. I didn't do anything for the adults.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just did gift bags for the kids.  We have four nephews ages 6 - 9, so they got bags with some Sponge Bob candy, a Sponge Bob crazy straw (all from Party City), and a wood 3-D puzzle and decorate a mug from Michael's.  They were very inexpensive (less than $5 each total) and the puzzle kept the kids AND adults busy for a couple of hours!  We had one 12 month old guest, and she got a lift the flap book ($5 at Babies R Us) and a pack of Gerber dried fruit snacks.  Nothing for adults. 

I did do some centerpieces that were square glass vases filled with Sixlets in the party colors, and stuck rock candy sticks in the party colors in there too.  They were a big hit.  All of the candy was from Party City.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"