2nd Trimester

sex of baby - vent

Sorry, have to vent... is anyone else going through this? My MIL (who by the way came up to our house and had the sex talk with us... charts and all...anyone want a FULL size poster of your menstrual cycle) Has asked us multiple time if we want one sex or another. We keep telling her it DOES NOT MATTER. So she called the other day and said... "oh well I really hope it's one thing." "If it is I'll be really excited and I'll tell you if it was what I was hoping for." Ummm. okay.WTH? Who says that kind of stuff. Then my BIL is saying.. oh i know you guys are having a girl, even though i was hoping it would be a boy (FOR REAL he said that) but I will love it just as much. We don't know the sex yet and my husband wants to tell them but i sure the hell do not. I'm sick of random people telling me it's a girl... because xyz..... all of a sudden everyone has these magical gender predicting powers?? It's just kind of annoying... sorry to vent.

Re: sex of baby - vent

• Just do what everyone else says. Tell them you're hoping for a pony/elephant/alien.

I understand where you're coming from, but try not to let it bother you. Laugh it off if you can.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Best I can do is sympathize with you. Everyone assumes the only reason we decided to have a third baby is to 'try' for a girl. Seriously, they seem to think I am somehow going to be unfulfilled by having three boys. I'm tired of the expectations and predictions that I'll have a girl. I want a baby. I dont care if its a boy or a girl. Bah.

People can be irritating.

• Loading the player...
  • DH and I always said we're just hoping for a human baby :)

My MIL told us that she absolutely didn't want a girl grandbaby because girls are too hard to handle (this is before we knew we were having a boy) I didn't know what to say, I thought if we're having a girl then I would think about how her grandmother doesn't really love her because of her sex? People are weird....especially MIL's.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting one sex over the other. Ultimately, all that matters is that baby is healthy. 

There is no doubt in my mind that once baby is here, even those who wanted a girl vs boy or a boy vs ag girl will fall madly in love with whatever baby ends up being. If they are disappointed? That's their problem to deal with and no burden of yours.

I know it's annoying to hear all the time, but you need to learn to let it slide off your back.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • There really should be a board called "Sh*% MIL's Say". Blows my mind every time I read posts like this where you can't believe someone said something so crazy. I have a feeling my BIL is right in line with yours. I don't know if he would flat out say what yours did but its really safe to say he's probably thinking it with some things he's said so far.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • People are completely ridiculous when it comes to this kind of thing. I, too, get annoyed when someone says, "it's a boy/girl....I just know it". Oh, do you? Your psychic powers have kicked in and you just KNOW?  At the end of the day, I think people are just trying to be involved and excited about it, and don't know exactly how to do that.

I'm in the same boat at you. I just pray he/she is healthy. Ignore it. 

Bravado Bras at Nurtured FamilyBabyFruit Tickerimageimage
  • I feel you girl! I am tired of MIL giving her 2 cents annoying is all I can say!
  • I would be soooo annoyed.  I opt to find out and keep it to ourselves!  I would even tell people that I know, but don't want to share that info.  There's just some things that should remain exclusive. Nothing bothers me more than an annoying MIL getting more excited than me. I'm going to try and keep everything from her!  She doesn't have a life, so she likes to be ultra intrusive and nosey!
    CafeMom Tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • You could always tell her you know how she feels about the disappointment you feel when you first meet someone and see what they are, because you felt the same way when you met her.... heee heee  Oh wait, that might not go over so well.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I totally understand.  My mil has four boys, four grandsons and ONE granddaughter (two of the boys are mine, I have no girls).  She called the other day just to tell us that IF it's a girl we had better call her! If it's a boy we can just text.. :P ugh.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageTasheystar:

Just do what everyone else says. Tell them you're hoping for a pony/elephant/alien.

I understand where you're coming from, but try not to let it bother you. Laugh it off if you can.

This! We always told everyone we were hoping for puppies, but kittens would be ok too. :)

Oh, and brace yourself. My MIL was dead set, for sure we were having a boy... And we're having a girl. It's been hell since we found out. I won't bore you with details, and I hope you don't have to deal with this, but just be ready in case of "grandma disappointment"... It happens.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    212 Facebook Admin.
  • imageSHeins:

Best I can do is sympathize with you. Everyone assumes the only reason we decided to have a third baby is to 'try' for a girl. Seriously, they seem to think I am somehow going to be unfulfilled by having three boys. I'm tired of the expectations and predictions that I'll have a girl. I want a baby. I dont care if its a boy or a girl. Bah.

People can be irritating.

I am expecting #  4 and ppl think we are trying for a girl  

lolololo
  • people can be so dumb. that is 1 of the reasons why i haven't told very many people because i don't want to hear it.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Eeeew, I sympathise. I really wish marriage came without in-laws!

I personally would tell them where they could go stick it, but then that's probably just me. Next time they bring it up, politely tell them that you not only don't have a preference to the gender, but they're being really offensive. Or you could pass it off with a story about someone else: e.g. when they start telling you they 'know' it's one gender or the other, start on about "uuugh, you know there was this really aggravating woman in Walmart the other day, she would not shut up about how she 'knows' the baby is X and I wanted to tell her 'shut uuuuup, I don't have a preference and you don't know what you're on about', uugh".

imageSHeins:

Everyone assumes the only reason we decided to have a third baby is to 'try' for a girl..

Ouch! You know, as much as I love The Bump, sometimes it makes me lose my faith in humanity...
  • people tell me stuff like that all the time. I just blow it off.  No one really has a say in the matter so they'll deal with (and love) whichever gender comes out.

• Your MIL sounds like a real treasure! :P We've been getting some of this - though not nearly as badly or as obnoxiously. I just tell people that I'm really hoping for Human when they ask and that usually shames them into silence. 

People are jerks, don't let them get you down.  

• imageLMB1231:
    There really should be a board called "Sh*% MIL's Say". Blows my mind every time I read posts like this where you can't believe someone said something so crazy. I have a feeling my BIL is right in line with yours. I don't know if he would flat out say what yours did but its really safe to say he's probably thinking it with some things he's said so far.

Ha! When I originally posted no one had directly made a comment about our baby's gender. I guess I just needed to give it a day or two. When we talked to the IL's last night they said "we really just want to hear its a girl" Whhhaaat? I was totally thinking girl up until this point but I would be lying if I said I didn't want a boy just to spite them a bit now. It's amazing how the closer we get to 20 weeks the less I care about the gender and the more everyone else seems to want to add their 2 cents about it, inappropriately of course. 

• imageLMB1231:
    There really should be a board called "Sh*% MIL's Say". Blows my mind every time I read posts like this where you can't believe someone said something so crazy. I have a feeling my BIL is right in line with yours. I don't know if he would flat out say what yours did but its really safe to say he's probably thinking it with some things he's said so far.
    Yes
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"